Next steps - views and advice welcome

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Next steps - views and advice welcome

Postby bluefizz » 22 Sep 2011, 05:29

I've posted before about a doctor-diagnosed anal fissure - but would welcome views now things have moved on a bit.
To recap briefly - I presented with a 'spiky' pain during and after bowel movements to my doctor back in Feb. He took a look and saw a small, 4mm, fissure at about 11 o clock (so front of anus).
I tried rectogesic (headaches) Diltiazem (soreness) and wheatgrass oil/wheatgerm cream alternatives. During a summer vacation the pain resolved - only to come back when I got home (I sit down all day at work).
I was examined by a colorectal surgeon (using a proctoscope) - she saw no fissue and no sign of healed chronic fissure - all else good. So a relief - but still the pain - now not during bowel movement but coming on as a soreness/stinging and sharp pain about 15 mins after.
I went back to another doctor - he said he'd write to the surgeon again. I now have a letter in which the surgeon agrees that it sounds like Proctalgia Fugax and offering a flexible sigmoidoscopy!
I'm confused - PF on internet shows symptoms as sharp bouts of agonising pain, frequently at night. My pain is persistent and not agonising - and never keeps me awake.
I feel like the doc has misdiagnosed. Also not sure what looking further up will tell them!
I still feel convinced my first doc's diagnosis of fissure was right and that this is somehow related - as the pain is pretty low down in anus.
Any views on what to do, similar experiences?
bluefizz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Next steps - views and advice welcome

Postby val » 22 Sep 2011, 08:56

It certainly does sound like a fissure! I would trust my own instincts, and try to get another opinion if it was me.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86