3 Days post LIS, my experience

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 Days post LIS, my experience

Postby Slocombep » 26 Sep 2011, 21:15

Hello Everyone,
I am on day 3 post LIS and doing pretty well. I am 27 years old and suffered from Chronic fissure for 8 years. I tried everything from homeopathic remedies, creams, GI recommended suppositories etc.. Finally although terrified i opted for the surgery.
I would say that over the past 8 years my anal problems have pretty much ruled my life. I am generally fit, exercise regularly, but through what i later found out was a anal fissure and was originally diagnosed as a thrombosed hemroid, i have struggled maintaing a good level of living and keeping pain free. So i guess time for the surgery!
Things i would say for anyone considering the surgery.
Try to eat well pre surgery (at least a few weeks), I did this and although i took fleets enemas as directed on surgery day, I found out later things will still be in your system.
Opt for a new drug the anesthesiologist can give you through the IV for anti nausea, you do not want to be sick coming out of surgery especially with this type of procedure.
Make sure you are seeing the best colorectal surgeon in your area, i drove 4 hours to go to mine and spent $4,000 out of network because i knew i was seeing one of the best in the state. This is not the kind of surgery you want to skimp on and the extra $$ and treatment i'm sure will pay off, or hopefully :)
Post Surgery
I was put on Percocet and Colace for pain and stool softening. I chose to take a 1/2 dose of Percocet and maximum of Colace for enough pain relief without constipation.
Diet i have strictly stuck with liquid, no meat, things like fruit smoothies, veggie and lentil soups etc. and benefiber tabs. I also took protein powder for 1st 2 days to try and help increase muscle rehab.
My 1st bowel movement happened this morning and can i say wow! Image I have read the 1st one will be painful through most of the other people on this forum and mine was no different. My main problem was constipation, and i would highly recommend taking some milk of magnesia (which i didn't) to try and help. All of the pain killers they give you and anesthetic makes for serious back ups, and although i thought i had covered my angles, i was still lying on the bathroom floor suffering from severe intestinal cramping and pain for 45mins, waking everything up down there was pivotal and i finally passed a stool which was very large and painful. Although i would say it was a different type of pain from the tearing fissure pain.
Post this i have spent some time in the tub, and using sitz baths. To try and reduce constipation i am doing a 1/4 dose of pain meds and supplementing tylenol. I am also exercising by walking to try and increase blood flow for healing. Sorry for the long post, and i'll keep my blog going throughout the healing process. Good luck for anyone else going through this and keep up beat!! :D
Slocombep
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 3 Days post LIS, my experience

Postby Guest » 26 Sep 2011, 21:54

Thanks for posting and Congrats On getting your surgery.
I also took Colace and switched to Miralax after my LIS. You may want to consider taking the Miralax. It works really well even with the pain meds!
Exercise isn't really a good idea this soon post-op and could actually set you back on healing. The LIS relaxes the muscle and allows blood flow. There's no need to exercise to help healing! Warm baths, diet and a good stool softener with plenty of rest for a couple of weeks :)

Postby Slocombep » 27 Sep 2011, 11:18

Oh god! Just went to the bathroom again morning of day 4. Another 20 mins of constipation, i am going to get off of all prescription pain killers. I would rather take the pain than suffer through any more of these BM's post surgery. I will also try the miralax thx Dawn!
I am keeping a good diet all fiber, fruits, veggies etc.. no meat. Anyone else had problems like this post surgery? I am worried that i am just causing more damage. Thx
Slocombep
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Sep 2011, 10:59

Hey Slocombep! Congratulations on your surgery! Lots of folks struggle with the BMs post-op. I agree with Dawn that Miralax has an excellent record with folk here, but it can take a few days to have its full effect. Some folks found that taking Milk of Magnesia (MOM) for the first little while after surgery is better for countering the effects of the pain meds. Going off the pain meds may help, but if you find that the pain gets too much, taking MOM may help with the BMs while still on the pain meds.
Deleted User 579

Postby Taygre3d » 28 Sep 2011, 11:37

Hi, I agree that all the meds they given me has messed up my sensation to even have a BM, so I too have gotten off them and have taken mom 3 days ago and have progress.
Taygre3d
Fibre Addict

Postby Taygre3d » 28 Sep 2011, 11:40

my surgery was on september 22nd and doing pretty good today september 28th.
Taygre3d
Fibre Addict

Postby Slocombep » 28 Sep 2011, 12:14

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the replies. Teresa good to hear from you, my surgery was on 23rd so nice to have someone on the same sched. as me, congrats and best of luck!
I have switched all meds. to just tylenol and ibuprofen on recommendation from my RN. I also got rid of taking Benefiber tabs and am using metamucil 2x a day.
Unfortunately i am actually going to the bathroom pretty regularly, 4x in last 36 hours, and alhtough i am passing stool it is hard to come out and still feels like i have more when i am finished. I am pretty bruised right now with quite a bit of discharge and am sore from wiping and bathing.
Going to try and limit the amount of beans/lentils i am eating today to try and counter gas and too frequent bowel movements.
Thanks for all the replies!! Here is to a quick recovery hopefully i start getting better in next few days, days 3-5 have definitely been the worst :(
Slocombep
Fibre Addict

Postby Taygre3d » 28 Sep 2011, 12:31

Wow, pretty much the same for me as your report, what can we do for the tender tissues that are bruised? Did you have LIS & fissure ctomy?
Taygre3d
Fibre Addict

Postby Taygre3d » 28 Sep 2011, 12:44

Sorry, correction; I have no discharge, just very itchy from healing and frequent potty trips. Not sure if gas or
bm. Work is expecting me back tomorrow and I to call them ask to return next monday , as I'm not sure of my bodily functions and need more rest.
Taygre3d
Fibre Addict

Postby Slocombep » 28 Sep 2011, 17:32

Yeah my stomach has been off from the meds and diet. I have switched back to my regular diet today, some whole grain bread, turkey and chicken, bran, eggs..
I had a black bean soup and whole lot of other fiber yesterday and it really played havoc in my intestines so i have been quite uncomfortable for last 24 hours.
I am doing sitz bath followed by Ice (covered of course) under recommendation of doc, and also use CVS moist wipes to clean up with. The wiping after BM is definitely the worst :(
Thanks! it is nice to know someone else is on a post surgery at the same time as me and that my symptoms are not completely unusual. :)
Slocombep
Fibre Addict