7 Weeks Post Fissurectomy/Fistulotomy (need surgery again!)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

7 Weeks Post Fissurectomy/Fistulotomy (need surgery again!)

Postby fissurepaingy » 29 Sep 2011, 17:21

Ok, so Here I am about 7 weeks past surgery..... I had what was to be my last appointment/post-surgery checkup yesterday, I told the CRS I was still a bit itchy and seeing some discharge... He felt back there first, then used an instrument or something to get a better look, then he says "well that's what we don't want to see"..... That's exactly what I did not want to hear! He told me that the reason I'm itching is from the discharge and the reason for the discharge is that my fistula is healing from the outside in rather than the inside out. He said that where my fistula is, which is at the midline, that every time I sit or anything it's closing the top how we don't want it to close and that we need it open... so he told me I need to have another outpatient surgery where they will basically just do a bit of maintenance on the fistula and cut and open it a bit more at the top. He told me that it wouldn't be anything like my initial surgery. He told me to think of it like the first surgery being 100%, this surgery will be at about 25-30% and that it's basically just doing a little bit of "maintenance" on it. I asked if this was something that definitely had to be done, he said that if I didn't get it done, then I'd just continue to itch and have the discharge and it could get worse and form into a fistula again! So, I will be getting it done. He left the office and I sat there a bit shocked, as I thought I was done with all of this! I can't believe this! I'm trying to stay positive though, as the CRS knows what he's doing and I want to take care of this once and for all. A bit bummed to have to go back and have more surgery and be put under again and all of that....
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: 7 Weeks Post Fissurectomy/Fistulotomy (need surgery again!)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 Sep 2011, 17:29

Oh no! I'm so sorry! That really sucks! Image
I'm glad, though, that the surgery isn't going to be as extensive as the actual fistulotomy. That's good news. But I'm still frustrated for you! It seems like butt problems are especially stubborn. I had to have an LIS and a fistulotomy before I started to heal and feel normal again Image You definitely have my sympathy.
Hang in there! This will be a small "maintenance" surgery, and then you'll be healed and all of this will be a distant memory. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 02 Oct 2011, 12:51

Aw sorry to hear that.
Best of luck for the next surgery. Your problem sounds exactly what I am experiencing 3 months after a fistula surgery!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby SummerGal » 09 Oct 2011, 09:04

I have similar symptoms too! So now I am thinking, uh oh! I go back in December. When I had my follow up doctor's appointment in September, he said one part of the fistula wasn't healing right, and he did something painful in the office (he mentioned granulization and coagulation that's all I remember lol). I still don't think it's any better though.
I am sorry to hear you have to have another procedure, but that is good he thinks it's going to be much less serious and painful. I know you don't want to have to do anything though. Hang in there and let us know how it goes.I agree with Hope...healing does seem to be a little stubborn in that area. Bleck!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?