Prolonged Use of Softeners/Laxatives

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Prolonged Use of Softeners/Laxatives

Postby Biaxident » 02 Oct 2011, 11:47

After having used softeners for the past 10 weeks at least, I have just started reading on the potential side effects from prolonged use of softeners/laxatives. They are not pleasant. Does anyone have any information to share on this subject?
I will be seeing my CRS tomorrow, and will certainly bring it up. My AF is virtually painless and spasm free, but that is probably due in large part to my prolonged use of these substances. It sounds like the damage this could cause may outweigh the benefits of avoiding pain. I had planned on avoiding/putting-off LIS until I have insurance. I am thinking that may not be a realistic option.
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Prolonged Use of Softeners/Laxatives

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Oct 2011, 12:55

I have been taking lactulose (very small amount) and one docusate sodium tablet every day, I have done this for the past 4 months and have to keep going at the minute. When I saw my CRS he said it was ok to keep going with the medication for the moment so I think you'd be ok to keep going for a while. I think its just if you use it for years that the side effects kick in, it depends on how much you are taking too :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Biaxident » 02 Oct 2011, 13:00

I was originally taking three ducosate tablets per day with good results. Two weeks ago, however, the effect seemed to wear off as I experienced three tears on three consecutive days. To me, this meant that I had developed an immunity.
Since then I've switched to miralax and one ducosate tablet per day with good results. After doing a little reading, however, I'm expeccting that my body will adapt at the very least -- and experience bad side effects at the worst.
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Postby of all the places to hurt » 02 Oct 2011, 14:50

I hear you! But do you know what? For me its a no brainer!! If I have to take Movicol etc..for the rest of my life I will! I will never go back to dreading the next days bm, the spasms, the rolling on the floor, the surprise OW, the whole blinkin lot of it!!! This decision was made due to the lack of support we get from our G.P's...waiting lists blah blah blah....One day hey?? Fingers crossed anyway
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Biaxident » 03 Oct 2011, 13:18

CRS says that taking Miralax longterm is no danger. She says that she has given it to her daughter, and patients, for years. So, I guess thats one less thing to worry about!
Biaxident
Fibre Addict

Postby TonyStone » 03 Oct 2011, 13:30

This is a guess but from what people say, Miralax draws water into stool to soften it. Other laxatives create a stimulant effect or reaction in the colon. Perhaps Miralax is more like a supplement like Metamucil than a "laxative." but since it has a laxative effect has to be labeled as such. Just a guess , I have not read or confirmed my thoughts.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby val » 07 Oct 2011, 13:25

My crs said that it can cause kidney damage if not enough water is drunk when it is taken.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby sputnik » 09 Oct 2011, 19:28

isn metamucil a softener or laxative
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby dwarfs8 » 10 Oct 2011, 19:30

Etamucil if I m not wrong is a fiber supplement
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Val76 » 12 Oct 2011, 09:08

Many doctors told me that Lactulose is not dangerous for long-term use...but I can`t believe it really. But I take it already 2,5 years.
Is Lactulose called Miralax in the U.S. ?
Here it is called Levolac.
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6