I'm back but in pain again!!!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: I'm back but in pain again!!!

Postby alpinestrawberry » 27 Oct 2011, 11:05

Anoplasty does seem drastic though Steve! Maybe they just need to cut the muscle again first, like you I can tell that mine has tightened up again over a few months time after the surgery. Some people do get well after a second LIS.
I'm taking magnesium now (magnesium chloride, NOT oxide) and I really do think it helps the muscles to relax some. It's simple to try and it might help!
Sorry you're still in pain!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby StevePain » 27 Oct 2011, 12:41

Hi alpine, yeah Anoplasty does seem a bit drastic but I'm clutching at straws lol..
Anyway I saw my DR who had a student in with him, I asked if the student would leave, don't know why but I did feel a bit embarrassed, maybe it was because he was so young lol, so then my DR read out the CRS papers regarding my ongoing pain and he states that it's not unusual to suffer from intermittent pain after LIS, because the muscle has been compromised and some patients will inevitably have episodes of pain... Image
My DR then proceeded to do a digital exam on me, it wasn't that painful to be honest but just uncomfortable, he also checked my prostate which almost made my eyes pop out Image he said that was fine too and that I didn't have a fissure up there because I wouldn't be able to tolerate the exam, funny that but I had a fissure before and tolerated the exam.. hmmm .. maybe I am accustomed to the pain?! After the exam I promptly pulled up my pants and was asked if I'd tried certain creams etc, I answered of course I have, look at my notes (god damn it).. I asked for some Diltiazem or Anoheal so he got his book out and looked for them but couldn't find.. WTH?? he then wrote me out a prescription for Lidocaine gel... Image I'm not familiar with this but will try it once I get it in the morning... This sucks and the saga continues...
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby alpinestrawberry » 28 Oct 2011, 07:24

Hmm. Just because they don't see a fissure doesn't mean there isn't one! Especially if you tolerated the exam before with a fissure. Lidocaine gel is just pure pain relief, it doesn't do anything to relax the muscle.
Do you know for sure you retore? Was it just pain or was there bleeding, and/or did you see a tear with the mirror? I know for sure when I retear I bleed and I can always see the tears with a mirror, they are always more to the outside.
I think sometimes you can have just plain nerve damage to the area, which is very painful but it doesn't necessarily mean a retear. Maybe in that case a little lidocaine now and then will shut those nerves the h*ll up :)
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby StevePain » 29 Oct 2011, 00:51

I don't know for sure if I've had a re-tear, maybe I'm just getting nerve pain from the area, I've never been able to see my fissure since it was a bit higher up in the rectum so again, I can't say whether or not it's tore again, hopefully it's just irritated and will disappear on it's own accord.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 26 Nov 2011, 14:08

Just a quick update... I seem to be partially healed again or that's how it feels anyway, the odd day I get discomfort, depends on my BM's in the morning and frequency.. I've also been to the docs again and he's put me on A/D's, it's the first time in my life (42 years) that I've taken them so I'm remaining hopeful that they'll help me cope with the constant ups and downs..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 26 Nov 2011, 15:41

Hi Steve
Just thought I would tell what has happen to me recently, you might be the same. I had some minor bleeding and pain for about four days about three weeks ago. The bleeding stopped but the pain continued longer, eventually becoming just discomfort. I had a visit to my CRS this last week. When he checked me out he said the scar tissue was still healed but there was a small patch at the edge where the wound had possibly torn a little/rubbed raw. Exactly like any healing cut might do. He said this would possibly happen a few times and not to worry. May be you have the same and it's not a full re-tear, especially if you have been able to stand the recent examination. I do know how you feel though, just when you think your'e sorted and you take a step backwards. Seems we have to allow the healing to take it's course, slow as it is.

Postby suzyljank » 27 Nov 2011, 22:31

Hi, I had LIS a few years ago. While it helped a little it didn't work like it does for most people. I'm going through a retear right now. Don't know how big it is but it is literally a pain in the butt. I get burning sometimes and an achy feeling and sometimes I get this charly horse feeling deep inside, that's the worst. Sitting on a heating pad helps. Lubricating before a bm and cleaning thoroughly after helps too. Miralax is a must. It gets frustrating after a while. I have spell where I go a few months and I'm pretty good and then I hit a rough patch and I never know how long it will last. My CRS suggested a partial anoplasty on one side to see if I'd get relief because I also have stenosis from a previous surgery. My gastro told me not to jump into another surgery because I also have pelvic floor disorder and while the surgery could enlarge the opening it won't help the spasms. She also said more surgery means more scarring. She said to reserve the surgery as a last resort. I do believe that stress plays a big roll in this but how can you not stress when this happens? I'm sitting here having a bowl of bran flakes while everyone else is eating dessert, now that sucks but it's what I have to do. I do have skin tags and I can kind of gauge how things are going by them. If they are swollen and hurt it's not good but most of the time they're not swollen. I have a very sensitive butt even my LIS scar feels tender at times. I hope you find the answer for you. Trust your instincts, make sure you have a good doctor and remember a CRS is a surgeon, they specialize in surgery only, weigh all your options carefully and do what's best for you. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby StevePain » 29 Nov 2011, 14:56

hey split, it seems that we are definitely going through the same thing, I really think that it's just a little patch that is having difficulties healing, and going by the pain I'd say it isn't a full tear so what your saying is most likely right, I just get fed up of the fight you know?
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 29 Nov 2011, 15:02

Hey suzy, my ass is super sensitive, and like you my LIS scar feels tender on most occasions, infact I'm convinced that the nerves in the rectum have been overstimulated because I can detect the tiniest piece of fecal matter in the rectum and it drives me crazy when I'm in a re-tear / partial tear situation, so much so that I have to manually remove fecal matter to relieve the pain or to take it to a more manageable level, the sad thing is that I don't think my ass will ever be the same again, I just get that feeling after 15 months of trying to heal..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 29 Nov 2011, 20:22

Steve,
Taking an A/D really helped me to start the healing process. Hope it helps!
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46