fissure and stress?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

fissure and stress?

Postby jenny2 » 10 Oct 2011, 07:10

just would like to know if anyone thinks that their fissure problems started with a stressful situation? in april, i went thru a very stressful time in my life and ever since then i have had problems with fissure and diarrhea. i have had every test ran by a gastro doc and they dont know why i have diarrhea, i am starting to think it is stress and ibs. they are ordering me a ct scan of the stomach and i have been put on anti depressents because i am just getting so tired of dealing with this. anyone have any input? Image
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Re: fissure and stress?

Postby Guest » 10 Oct 2011, 08:13

Jenny,
I was super stressed when I got my fissure. I tend to let things really get to me. It seems to me that I stress out on things that most people are able to let go. I also noticed that a lot of the folks who post in here tend to be worriers and many are anxious types of people.
This has been something I have really worked on since my LIS. I realize I have to let things go that I can't change and worrying can affect my health. It's tough when you have to work on the way you've been your whole life, but my health just isn't worth all the worrying and stress. I noticed when I had my fissure that all the things I use to worry about were petty and really didn't mean anything while I was sick...
So now when things weigh on my mind, I say to myself "would this matter if I were sick or if this was my last day here on earth." I know that's kind of weird but it helps me to let go and put things in perspective. Most things we worry about won't mean a thing a week from now or a month from now...I try to take one day at a time. Focus on the things that matter most to me. My husband, kids and grandbaby mean more to me than any thing. Finances, drama, anything negative can't be changed by worry and stressing...
Hopefully others can add...

Postby Rosa M » 10 Oct 2011, 09:29

Dawn, I agree with you. I don't think my life will ever be the same in that this whole fissure situation has made me slow down, stop negative behaviors and stop focusing on things that really shouldn't matter so much in my life. I also think it's a good idea to start practicing some stress relief or reduction methods and improve my mental wellbeing.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby jax » 10 Oct 2011, 12:12

I agree that all my hemrroids in the past have been accompanied by stressful events in my life. So its a combo of lack of sleep, eating bad and stress on top of all that.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby of all the places to hurt » 10 Oct 2011, 12:26

My fissures started beginning of the year when I gave up smoking!! I have heard from a few Medics that smokers have a routine.??...They wake up get a coffee/tea and have a cigarette. Then, usually they need to go the loo for usual bm? That was my routine actually, don't know if that was the actual cause. But thinking back, my routine went out but also....I went on a diet too! Dunno?? Thought I would answer if it rings any bells with anyone? Since, new year, I suffered with constipation lol......... Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby val » 10 Oct 2011, 13:51

Stress didn't cause my fissure, but it certainly made it worse. And I'm an anxious person too.......
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby jenny2 » 10 Oct 2011, 14:17

i am a very nervous and anxious person also, this problem with fissure has really made me worse. i need some stress busting methods. going to doc to doc has been very stressful for me and not being able to get better has added to it. my endoscope biopsy for celiac disease was negative, so every test i have had is negative. i really think it is stress from everything.. Image
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby dwarfs8 » 10 Oct 2011, 19:06

Hi jenny, I was v depressed due to my miscarriage in apr and was crying badly everyday, being so dehydrated and stressed at that time, I got into serious constipation and thus down with piles n fissures in a weeks time.
Ibs is very affected by stress as the intestines would slow down it's movement. Thus for ibs, main treatments are always frm diet and stress mgmt
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Em » 11 Oct 2011, 02:48

dwarfs8 wrote:Hi jenny, I was v depressed due to my miscarriage in apr and was crying badly everyday

I'm sorry for your loss.
I am also a stressed person (teacher) who finds it very hard to forget about work - I worry about all the children in my class. Plus, I became a coordinator 2 years ago and now have 7 teachers to supervise (who although are very good mean I have new things to worry about). :roll:
Em
Salt Bather

Postby jenny2 » 11 Oct 2011, 07:19

dwarfs i dont know i really think stress has made my intestines speed up with ibs symptoms, since i am having diarrhea all the time now. i took 2 immodium yesterday and that seemed to help me alot. sorry for your loss in april..
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist