How do you know if you have an infection?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

How do you know if you have an infection?

Postby Rosa M » 11 Oct 2011, 11:00

Sounds like a silly question but for those who got infections, how did you know? An abcess outside the anus can usually be seen but how do you know if the incision site (I had LIS) is infected. I've been getting discharge from the anus. While looking in the mirror, I saw a whitish fluid coming out. When i wiped, it appeared more yellowish on the tp. I didn't notice any foul odor. I don't think I have a fever. It's tough for me to understand what normal drainage or discharge is. Can anyone weigh in on this? I'm a little nervous and don't want to get any complications after surgery. Thanks!
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: How do you know if you have an infection?

Postby Deleted User 579 » 11 Oct 2011, 11:57

Hi Rosa - when I developed an infection at the LIS incision site, I had thickish white discharge and the area felt mildly swollen with a kind of pinching pain. I eventually developed a very small fistula that was treated with a fistulotomy. I think you might want to contact your CRS just to get it checked. This might be normal wound exudate, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.
Deleted User 579

Postby lurker53 » 11 Oct 2011, 12:59

How was the fistulotomy? Is that what my CRS is calling "pop it back open" following an infection? Was it under anethesia?
lurker53
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Postby Deleted User 579 » 11 Oct 2011, 14:09

Hey Lurker - I see from your other posts that you are getting ready for an LIS. Congratulations! My infection formed a small abscess and it burst on its own. It then formed a small (1/4") fistula, so my surgeon cut it open so that it would drain. I was under a general and the surgery was a breeze. Try not to worry. An infection sounds horrifying - and I was really upset when I learned I had a fistula - but it can actually be taken care of quite simply and it wasn't nearly as bad as I worried it would be. I was able to get back to normal after about two weeks and now I'm doing quite well - my life is SO much better than before the LIS!
Deleted User 579

Postby Rosa M » 11 Oct 2011, 15:26

Thank you Hope for your input and advice. I think I will call my dr tomorrow. I am only 13 days past my surgery so I know it's early in the game for me. Actually today haas been the best day so far as far as the pain goes. I have been able to do more today than before. How long after your LIS did you get your infection?
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 11 Oct 2011, 15:34

Hey Rosa! I'm so glad today was a good day for you. :D
I'm not sure for how long I had the infection before it became an abscess, but I think I developed the abscess (and then the fistula very quickly after the abscess burst) about a month after the LIS. A few other boardies developed abscesses about two weeks post-op, like Sidra and NeuropathicGuy. They had pretty much the same thing I had, so if you think you have what I had, you might want to read their threads too. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Rosa M » 16 Oct 2011, 21:38

I will do that. Thanks again for sharing your info with me. :)
Rosa M
Salt Bather