Ok I put my big girl panties on

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Ok I put my big girl panties on

Postby Sue1962 » 20 Oct 2011, 20:25

Well, I bit the bullet and called my surgeon today. I broke out into a sweat when I did. Just a consultation, but I think the first step to my surgery. I have been miserable for way to long. Almost 3 years. I think if this stupid tag didn't develop I would just grin and bear it. I don't know, I keep having the same argument with myself. Have the surgery you will be miserable for a couple of weeks, hell you've been miserable for years so what's a couple of weeks. Then I think well, if it heals and I eat right and take the softner every night, I will be fine......until the next tear. Do I really need to have the tag removed?? I have read some of the not so good outcomes and it scares me to death. So much anxiety, I am tired of thinking and worrying about my ass and pooping. My husband has been a saint and really wants me pain free, but he knows what a baby I am and scared to death at the thought of surgery. I am an OB/Gyn nurse and my own worse patient!!! Crazy huh?!! So many thoughts go through my head about the proceedure, complications, anesthesia, healing time, pain after surgery, what if I get constipated, I don't take any meds except for ibuprofen, I don't like the way pain meds make me feel. Uggg and the list goes on and on. Just really anxious. This forum is awesome and I am so glad I found it, I mean really, who do you tell you have a major pain in the butt to?? My coworkers know but we are a small office 3 others and the Dr. all women so I can share with them. Well, thanks for letting me vent. Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: Ok I put my big girl panties on

Postby TonyStone » 20 Oct 2011, 20:47

Good luck, I know how much you hold out hope for surgery free healing, I wanted that too, but this last time it did not seem it was ment to be. I got to the point where I was sick of hearing me talk about my ass problems, I cant imagine how everyone else felt.
You know, you walk in somewhere looking like your in pain, someone asks how your doing... and you go into
"Ass update"
I know my co workers were concerned, but I would not be surprised if there were like "all he does is talk about his damn ass all the time"
If you havent had the pain, you cant understand why I am a whinny crying sweet angel boy about the pain...lol
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Sue1962 » 20 Oct 2011, 20:53

LOL...Tony, I know exactly what you mean about ass update!! I am sure my co workers will be glad when I am no longer talking about my ass!!! I too, get tired of hearing the oh my ass hurts or maybe if I do this or that!! I am really not worried about LIS, just the tag removal, I hear and have read it can be a bit nasty.. Oh well and then it will be over!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Guest » 20 Oct 2011, 21:20

Sue,
Every fear that you have mentioned above went through my head. I will never forget how terrified I was of the surgery!
NG and Steve were having really bumpy recoveries and that scared me. They were here giving and receiving support and I thank God for them, and PaulsPain, I couldn't have done it without them...They were so supportive of me and every thing they advised me on was spot on. I also got support from another wonderful boardie who had a hemroidectomy (sp?) with his LIS and had a pretty rough recovery. There was another baordie (smallchange) who supported me and I was suppose to get my LIS before him but he ended up getting his before me, and I hung onto every word he said while I was waiting for mine. He seemed to have a really good recovery and it gave me so much hope that I could possibly do as well as he did. There was another person who popped in briefly who had the tag removed and LIS and said it wasn't bad at all, and all kind of positive things I needed to hear.
I searched every thread in here and found all the positive and focused on it. I don't know how far back you've read in this forum, but there are some really good posts. I realize there are some in here that can make your anxiety level go through the roof. I feel like many of them paved the road for us all to have smoother recoveries. Leaving their post and experiences helped me to prepare on what to do and what not to do. Kim's recovery showed me that I needed to keep the fissure diet after surgery and stay off my butt for the best healing, Tabby had such an optimistic post and taught me to take it one day at a time, take care of yourself. Gizmo made me believe I wouldn't regret it, Cheryl from down under( the creator of this forum) went through 6 years of hell with a fissure and was very happy she had the surgery. She taught me not to take stimulant laxatives while recovering. What I'm saying Sue is they didn't know what we know now because of all of them and we have so much knowledge to have better recoveries.
There have been so many boardies come and go fast after their surgeries. I have no doubt that's because they don't need to be here for support anymore.
There is absolutely no need to suffer like this any longer. I was never in horrible pain. There was nothing about my surgery even having the skin tag removed, that was as bad as having the fissure. Three days after my surgery, I knew I had done the right thing. I posted this in my FB status 3 days after surgery "Bouncing around in a Bubble of Joy" :oops: Lol.
My sister, niece and a few close friends knew what I meant! Not having shards of glass, spasms or a freaking swollen horrible skin tag covering my whole b-hole had me sold on knowing I had made the right choice.
Being sore and taking baths while your healing can't be any worse than having a fissure, spasms and a skin tag and wishing you would heal!
You made a good choice and I know without a doubt if you can live with a fissure then you can darn sure handle the recovery from the surgery! We will all be here to advise and support you through it.

Postby Guest » 20 Oct 2011, 21:24

Ps...
Val, Bambi, Happyass and I think PaulsPain may have had a tag removed too if you haven't already read some of there post?!

Postby Sue1962 » 21 Oct 2011, 05:40

Hey Dawn
Thank you so so much for your support!!! I am in tears reading this...You, Tony, and Val have helped me so much already, really the reason I called yesterday. I really just cant take this pain anymore and know I need to do this. I will search the old posts as you mentioned> Had a rough time this morning and still in spasm and burning...Thankfully, I only have to work until 1 today and off for the weekend. Thanks again so much
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby jenny2 » 21 Oct 2011, 07:36

sue let us know how your consult goes with the crs and hope you can have a restful weekend without to much pain.. :)
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby Sue1962 » 21 Oct 2011, 16:52

I will Jenny...Thanks!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist