In Pain, Don't know what to do.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

In Pain, Don't know what to do.

Postby Gwenk » 22 Oct 2011, 10:38

Hello,
I am so glad to find this forum!!! I had no idea anything like this was even around. I'm in so much pain right now and my body is so messed up. Please help!!! I'll try anything!!! I'm Gwen and I'm 19. I just started college this year and live in the dorms. They have community bathrooms!!!! The whole floor shares. So bad. I HATE my life living here. I have always kinda had issues going and trouble. Somtimes worse than others and in middle school and especially highschool I had a few times that were really bad. But, since I started college whooooha its been so bad. I've had the worst constipation of my life. I've never had it be this bad. I know I have hemmroids somtimes bad and now I'm pretty sure I have a fissure. I've never been to the dr for it or even told anyone before. I am so desperate. It hurts so bad and I havent been able to go to the bathroom in so long or even get alittle out. I really scared its worse than I've ever had it before right now and between the pain when I try to go and the fact its been so long I'm scared there is no way for me to go. Please help!! Also, anyone else here around my age? Trying to deal with this in community bathrooms is sooooooo much worse. I don't know what to do. Thank you.
Gwenk

Topics: 2

Re: In Pain, Don't know what to do.

Postby wecc » 22 Oct 2011, 11:06

Hi there Gwenk!
I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. While I am not anywhere near your age, I can fully understand most of what you are going though, as all on this site can. I had many years of having problems going to the bathroom, a very good friend of mine, who happens to be a Dr, suggest that I take magnesium pills. WOW did that change everything, no problem going whatsoever. I would say go out and buy some. They are available almost anywhere.
While I get the sharing the bathroom thing, the fact is you are going to have to soak your butt. There is no way around the fact that you are going to have to do things to get better. You cannot be reactive, but proactive. If you follow some of the advice on this site and well as others, you might be able to heal this without a dr. However with that said, you better start right NOW! If you put this off, not only will the pain get worse, you might do so much more damage where the next step is a DR and then who knows what next. I know all this and I did not, let just say I have surgery next month.
So please, get over the bathroom thing and take care of this problem now. I know you wish it did not happen, but it did….you just have to deal with it!! If the soaking and such do not work...go to the dr. Do not mess with this. It can very well clear up with some meds and proper treatment.
Good luck
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jenny2 » 22 Oct 2011, 15:06

hi gwenk. whenever i am contispated i use miralax that seems to really help me to go easier, it could take a couple of days to work though. at times in desperation i have gave myself a enema to go but i wouldnt reccommend doing that with a fissure. i am sorry that you are having so much pain.
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby Mike530 » 22 Oct 2011, 21:24

Hi gwen,
I am a guy, but I have been dealing with a fissure since I was 20. It sounds like you are not improving, so you should surely go see colon rectal doctor to confirm what is going on. I was mis-diagnosed several times and now I am paying the price having suffered so long. This is a great forum, lots of good advice. Good luck!!
Mike
Mike530
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby StevePain » 24 Oct 2011, 11:12

Gwen, if you haven't been to the toilet for a long time the chances are you could have fecal impaction which results in compacted hard stool in the rectum and colon that cannot physically be passed due to the sheer size of it.. I would advise a laxative like Movicol to help soften the stool or you could end up in hospital, and if you have a fissure or hemmies this will cause more pain/damage, please seek medical advice from your GP or a Colorectal surgeon who would be able to give a more accurate diagnosis, just don't leave it any longer.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby shakeit » 27 Oct 2011, 07:31

Hi Gwenk
I agree that you should go and see a Dr, just to get things checked out and get an accurate diagnosis. I'm not your age, but I've seen posts on here from people as young as 16, and apparently fissures (if that is what you have) happen to mostly younger and middle aged people, although others can get them too.
I use lactulose, for a stool softner. I'm in the UK. I'm not sure where you are but there may be an equivalent. You may know this already, but its a good idea to have a diet that's high in fibre (dont over do it though and if you dont eat a lot of fibre increase gradually) includes lots of soft vegetables and fruit, plus at least 2 litres of water. Avoid anything that can come out sharp like nuts and seeds.
I know the pain is awful, I have it too at the moment. But there are things that can be done to help. Some of them are diet changes, creams and if that doesnt work there are surgical options. Lots of people on here have had them and they have gotten well. You too will get well. Hang on in there.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby alpinestrawberry » 27 Oct 2011, 10:55

Wow, my heart goes out to you. I hate community bathrooms too and I dealt with them as well when I was in college; that was years before I ever got my fissure and having to deal with public bathrooms and fissures must add a whole new dimension of discomfort. :(
Back when I had no choice but to use a public bathroom I would just seek out the stall that had the most privacy, usually the one on the end and take something to read in there. That takes the focus off the BM and you won't be as likely to feel anxious or strain. Or you may even be able to find a private bathroom in another building on campus, look around.
I agree with others suggestions to try the Miralax, and stay on it every day. You should not use toilet paper right now except to dab gently--get some wipes or even a small bottle you can fill with warm water to rinse. Balneol is another thing some people like, though it's expensive. Most likely you aren't going to be able to take a bath in a dorm situation. The next best thing is to sit on a heating pad. If you are really impacted right now, you might need to get something harsh to get you going, like magnesium citrate--it comes in small bottles at the pharmacy--it's like a soda and it comes in different flavors.
Now, when I first had my fissure, I read up about them online and didn't even bother seeing the doctor. I used stool softener, fiber, and baths to heal. This worked for awhile and at one point I think I even went for a whole year before the thing reoccurred. The thing is, you really do need proper diagnosis. I didn't know it when I first got my fissure, but you will have ALMOST NO CHANCE of healing it unless you get some ointment for it right away. And you have to have the right ointment. Most doctors will throw steroid creams for hemorrhoids at you and those will make everything worse. You need nitroglycerin, diltiazem, or nifedipene ointment. They all work to relax the muscle. They will have to be made up by a compounding pharmacy and they can be expensive because of this, but trust me it's worth the money.
Of course you want to do everything you can to avoid the surgery, but if it comes to it, the surgery isn't bad at all. I had it done after I suffered for five years, and I would definitely do it again, and I am generally terrified of anything remotely surgical.
Good luck and hugs!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby FinnsMom » 27 Oct 2011, 20:59

Hi Gwen sweetie! I'm kind of close to your age, I'm 25 and I've been dealing with my fissures for a little over a year now. I'm new here too!
First things first, have you taken anything to make yourself go? Any laxatives or stool softeners? Magnesium citrate liquid from the pharmacy WILL make you go, it works on me within an hour! Milk of Magnesia or Miralax are other options you have. If it has been a long time since you have went to the bathroom, I might suggest going to the ER. I know it's embarrassing but trust me, they have seen it all! You don't want to get impacted or end up with a bowel obstruction.
I know it's so embarrassing but have you talked to anyone about this? Your parents, a sibling, a friend? Please find someone to confide in and maybe go to the doctor with you. I promise it will be alright! You are not going to be in pain forever!
Keep us updated Gwen!
FinnsMom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6