Pre-surgery process?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Pre-surgery process?

Postby Jojo1 » 29 Oct 2011, 04:33

Question,
Im assuming I go from discussing sugery to scheduling, but that may not be the case. Are there other procedures before surgery, like colonoscopy, barium enema, etc?
Also, do I have to jump through insurance hoops to be approved or can I just schedule it?
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: Pre-surgery process?

Postby StevePain » 29 Oct 2011, 05:10

I didn't have any procedure before LIS, because it's only confined to the rectum and anus a bowel prep is not required as long as you've opened your bowels beforehand, you will probably be asked if you have.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby TonyStone » 29 Oct 2011, 05:22

2 fleet enemas an hour before and had to stop eating midnight before. Our insurance is Aetna and I have had no problems and did not pre authorize. It would not hurt you to call insurance before just to make sure.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 29 Oct 2011, 07:40

I was told to do an enema but when I asked her if I had to, she said no! Lol, I think my CRS did everything she could to make it easier on me, and as Steve said it probably isn't really necessary or I wouldn't have had that option.

Postby Mike530 » 29 Oct 2011, 18:16

have my next surgery next friday, and my pre op instructions state to eat nothing but water type foods a day before after noon and to stop eating entirely after midnight. No enemas required here. I just got a referral from my doc to see the CRS, and they said thats all they needed to proceed with surgery. Good luck!
Mike530
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4