New to the group

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the group

Postby momof2 » 06 Nov 2011, 17:56

Hello everyone. I'm a married mother of 2 little girls, whom I adore. I have been dealing with fissures for a few months now. After reading some other posts on this site, I realize that this is a relatively short time compared to some of you. I had a fissurectomy (multiple small fissures and one large one) 2 days ago and was feeling pretty good - until I had my first BM. Now, I'm hurting worse than I was when I went in for the surgery. On top of that the Norco that the doctor prescribed me for pain made me throw up, so I'm using ibuprofen now. For those of you who have had the surgery, how long did it take for you to get back to a state of normal? I am absolutely miserable and I'm even more afraid now than I was before. If anyone has any pointers and ideas for pain relief, I'm open to suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.
momof2

Topics: 1

Re: New to the group

Postby Guest » 06 Nov 2011, 19:33

Hey Mom,
I didn't have a fissurectomy, but had LIS so I can't speak from personal experience, but have read quite a few threads in here and it seems it can take 2-3 weeks for some healing to take place and things to feel better.
You may be able to ask your CRS for another prescription that will help with the nausea while on the pain meds. It's called Phenergan and works quite well from my experience. I also get very sick with pain meds and had the CRS write me a prescription along with the Vicodin after my surgery.
Also wanted to mention- it's really crucial to take a good stool softener while healing. Many of us here took/ take Miralax while recovering. If you don't know this already - diet is still pretty important while recovering. It's a good idea to stay away from any foods that can constipate, or cause harder bm's, and the warm baths will help keep things clean and speed up healing.
Hope this helps:) Take care!

Postby Guest » 06 Nov 2011, 19:34

PS..
Did you have LIS along with your fissurectomy?

Postby momof2 » 06 Nov 2011, 19:43

Nope, just the fissurectomy. LIS will be the next step if this doesn't solve things. I wish I would have found this site earlier though, because from the sound of things an LIS might have been a better option for me. I'm on a high fiber diet. I'm taking Colace an Metamucil. All I know is that my first BM was excruciating. I have never in my life felt pain like that before and I'm terrified of the next one. I really hope that things soften up. Mentally, I'm just exhausted - is it so wrong to just want to poop like a normal person? UGH!
momof2

Postby Guest » 06 Nov 2011, 20:28

We had another person in here recently who had a fissurectomy without LIS too. She had a very painful recovery also. I researched fissurectomies without LIS some and from what I've read they have no risk of incontinence as LIS does. They just seem so darn painful and a lot less common to have without LIS. Your recovery seems like the norm for this procedure from what I've noticed here.
I'm so sorry for your pain!! And I totally understand how frustrating it is... I don't want to be pushy but if you are willing to give Miralax a try, we have all had much better results with it. Many of us, myself included took Colace and didn't get near the results that Miralax gives.
You are in the worse days of recovery right now and I know it's exhausting but you should start seeing improvements each week. It would be much easier on you if you were able to take the pain meds, but I highly recommend the Miralax with them. Maybe you could give your CRS a call and let them know the meds are making you sick?!

Postby momof2 » 10 Nov 2011, 01:59

Thank you. I'll definitely try Miralax. I'm willing to try anything at this point.
As I sit here at 2 am, I'm actually contemplating going to the ER. The last 5 days have been so awful and I think I'm finally at the end of rope.
Friday - Surgery (no BM)
Saturday - no BM, threw up due to Norco
Sunday - Hard, Round BM, looked like tightly packed "pellets" roughly the size of a golf ball
Monday - BM (very similar to Sunday's)
Tuesday - BM started with a couple of "pellets" and then all hell broke loose. I wound up passing 7 of the aforementioned golf ball size waste
Wednesday - BM several pellets
Because of the hard consistency and the size of the poop I'm passing, I'm terrified that I've ripped out stitches or created new fissures. I'm still taking the stool softeners, but I've stopped all of my pain medications because they, obviously, were constipating me. I've been taking baths (either sitz or regular) at least 2 times a day and those seem to help, but in the meantime, I'm miserable. I'm on a nearly all liquid diet of jello, pudding, soup and I'm allowing myself one semi-normal meal a day of a chicken breast (I'm still breastfeeding my youngest daughter). In short, there are no words to explain the level of pain I'm feeling right now. It hurts to walk, it hurts to sit, it hurts to stand - I certainly can't sleep. I just don't know what to do. How can I take care of my kids when I need someone to take care of me? If any of you have ideas for soothing the pain, I'm all ears. I'm pretty desperate.
momof2

Postby dwarfs8 » 10 Nov 2011, 02:44

hi, i don't have the surgery before, but i think u probably should up the frequency/the dosage of the softeners. Are you taking Miralax? And drink lots of water, plus some fiber. Liquid diet doesn't means there's fiber, and when there's no fiber, the stools can still be hard. Fiber helps to keep regularity besides softening too, which is very important. Stop the painkillers if you can, else switch to something milder and won't constipate. You probably should be on the mend from the 2nd/3rd weeks onwards. Because urs is not LIS but fissurectomy , it can be more painful than those who did LIS.
If all else fails and you feel you can't take it anymore, do go back to your CRS and ask for some relief if there's any..
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby momof2 » 10 Nov 2011, 02:52

I'm planning on calling him in a few hours - the pain is intolerable.
momof2

Postby TonyStone » 10 Nov 2011, 04:29

Miralax is the way to go, colace was fairly useless to me and I was taking 3 a day.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14