6 weeks post op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

6 weeks post op

Postby Tim » 07 Nov 2011, 18:46

Hi all, figured I'd check in and let you know how I was doing. I'm 6 week's post-LIS and doing pretty well. I think I'm a hyperchondriac and every little sensation down there is another tear Image . However, BM's have been pretty pain free and the prior fissure pain, sting and tension post-bm's has subsided. I do get an occassional burn here and there, generally while standing and it doesn't last long, a couple seconds (anyone else this long after LIS?). I'm keeping up on my fiber and miralax regimen as it's been working for me. I did have some fresh blood 4 weeks post-op as I think I was pushing it a bit on the honeymoon with all the different foods (nothing sharp), walking on the treadmill and some push-ups/stetching. It was odd as it was at night and not post-BM. However, none since then. For anyone who has had LIS, how long did you have weird sensations down there and how long was the area sensitive to the touch? Drying after a shower is a sensitive ordeal, lol. I also have some mild leakage, mostly after passing gas...not much but enough where I'm like..."darn a spot". I'm kind of sick of wearing a "pad" with a cotton ball wedged up there. Heck, that could lead to some of my odd sensations. Anyhow, almost 7 weeks out and looking up. I just want my life back as all of you do. This thing has really been a physical and mental roller-coaster for me. Anxiety being the latest phase. Any help on the concerns would be great. I have another CRS appt. on Dec. 9th and I'm hoping he tells me I've healed....fingers/toes/arms/legs crossed!
Hope everyone is doing well today!
Thanks!
Tim
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: 6 weeks post op

Postby Deleted User 579 » 08 Nov 2011, 16:49

Hey Tim! Congratulations on your surgery! I'm glad you are doing well. The sensations you describe are normal. I've seen some boardies call them 'zingers' and they can last quite a while as the nerves in the butt start to normalize. I'm a little over 5 months post-LIS and 4 months post-fistulotomy and I still get very mild zingers, but they have definitely settled down and are fewer and further between. The leakage should get better too, as the sphincter starts to tighten a bit. Quite a few boardies describe how that went for them and shared quite a few good tricks for managing leakage. Here's the link to the thread:
http://anal-fissure.org/t3054-leakage-8-months-post-op?highlight=leakage
It sounds like your recovery is going well. Try not to worry too much. It will take quite a long while for everything to feel normal again. If you're anything like me - and many of us here, actually - it will take a good while for the psychological effects to diminish. I'm still working on the anxiety and depression all this caused for me, but I'm doing much better physically and emotionally now, and I feel like I'm getting my life back again. You'll get there too! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Tim » 09 Nov 2011, 07:27

Thanks so much for responding!!!
Had a rouch night last night, psychologically I guess. I was excited to go home and take a mild walk on the treadmill to try and resume some form of exercise. Well, with all the fiber and supplements I'm taking in, gas has been pretty wicked. I got home last night, had some gas and stretched before my walk. I went to pee quick before I worked out and there was some fresh drops of blood. Not much by any means but enough where I just dropped to my knees and said "WHY"?! Didn't feel like doing much after that but I went for my walk. There is no real pain but I did have blood at 4 weeks post op. and for a few days (5 maybe) afterwards I can almost feel like the fissure is open...but there's no pain...it's odd... maybe the scar tissue pulling? I get a tid bit of a burn here and there if I stand akward...mostly leaning forward. My fissure is at 12 O'clock so that makes sense I guess? Has anyone else had this fresh bleeding....(not after a BM either), almost 7 weeks out from surgery? I just hope it's not a complete re-tear each time...because honestly, at that point, I can't even get out of bed for fear that it will tear again. This is awful. I'm afraid to have "relations" with my new wife....how horrible is that? I feel so bad for her as I'm withdrawn from life at this point...I'm on the verge of giving up on this thing. I don't know how some people go years...I'd be on the high bridge at that point. I know I need to be patient...but hasn't God made us all suffer enough? Anyhow....just curious if anyone has had this experience...again..it's fresh blood drops later in the day...not even post BM as I go in the morning...there's zero blood with BM's.....but after a stretch or some gas...it appears....this is the second time since my operation that it's happend. My mother thought it could be scar tissue or scabbing....I don't know.
Thanks in advance!!!
Tim
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby TonyStone » 09 Nov 2011, 07:36

I still see light blood on tp when cleaning up, plus the damn skidmarks. I am about a week behind you in surgery. I have started walking on the treadmill too. The freaking gas is ridiculous.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14