5 weeks post LIS , blood for first time.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

5 weeks post LIS , blood for first time.

Postby TonyStone » 10 Nov 2011, 21:16

Been using Metamucil in am and pm since surgery. The last two days
I decided to try getting all my fiber with food/cereal. Tonite had a BM that seemed to put up a fight and was a little harder than usual.
Blood dripping in toilet. Moral of the story. Don't screw with what is working for you.
Anyone else have something like this happen?
On the bright side, no pain like before.
Tony
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: 5 weeks post LIS , blood for first time.

Postby Guest » 10 Nov 2011, 21:33

Amen Tony! Sorry about the blood but you are right about sticking with whatever regimen has worked for you. I would keep it for atleast 6 months and slowly change things when you do! Just cut down the tiniest amounts at a time and wait a few days and see how it works when you do change things.
It's good you had no pain though!

Postby Jojo1 » 11 Nov 2011, 02:33

Yeah, just chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby Sue1962 » 11 Nov 2011, 06:30

you are a brave man!!! I am so scared to stop anything!! I have not had surgery yet but I think I will stay on my diet regimine for a while after. Does the Metamucil give you large BM's and gas??? I couldn't take it. I was having super poop!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby TonyStone » 11 Nov 2011, 08:27

I have gas all the time, personally I think the meta makes them come out "crisp" with barely any wiping needed. I don't feel like they are larger than normal. Everytime I back off on my am & pm meta I seem to have problems. I think the fiber one cereal and bars make harder poop then the metamucil. Everyone seems different though
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby TonyStone » 11 Nov 2011, 08:32

I hope I am right in my guess and haven't done damage
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby linda » 11 Nov 2011, 11:15

Aw Tony, I did the same thing! I'm glad your not in pain. I take miralax at night and took smaller dose than usual for 2 nights. This morning was bigger and harder than usual and I had to do some pushing too. I was really scared but seem to be ok now. On the bright side it's good to know the muscles down there are working.
I am also having a brutal gas problem. I get home from work at 4:00 and the horn starts to blow! I'm going to keep up with the miralax and back off the fiber slowly and see if it helps.
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Tim » 11 Nov 2011, 15:32

I had blood just this week at the 6-7 week mark again and it wasn't even after a BM but at night. I had it at 4 weeks too...just some drops but enough to shock me! I swear it's the gas and from my sit-down job, the pressure just builds on the fissure site and the pushing out of the gas does it. I haven't had blood this week again and BM's are good but my fissure was never a real bleeder to begin with. I do however feel like it's opened back up. Does anyone else feel that at times inside like you get the sense it's an open cut? Granted it is an open wound...but I never had this feeling before when the muscle was tense. I don't have the tight sphincter pain but it burns here and there lightly and if I move the right way, it feels just like an open cut. Not great for the anxiety or mental state, that's for sure.
This absolutely sucks!!
Sorry for your setback Tony and I hope it was nothing major for you! The fact that there is no pain is good!
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby alpinestrawberry » 14 Nov 2011, 07:36

Well, I'm not alone then. I am nearly 8 months out of surgery and still seeing occasional blood. Sometimes things go fine for 6 weeks at a time and then something always happens to screw it up. The situation is damn near impossible to keep under control. Here's what happened this time:
My entire family including me came down with a horrendous stomach flu. Barfing, diarrhea, the works. So obviously I didn't take my Miralax because I had plenty of soft stools compliments of the virus, and my diet was jacked because of it too. So of course a few days after getting over it I wind up with a big, hard stool and I see blood. Not a lot of blood, but it only takes a little droplet to depress me. The good thing is, no pain, so that's something to be thankful for. But seeing blood still makes me feel that I'm never going to be perfect again. I wish I could get to that magical time period of 1 year without seeing blood--but every time I tear again it's like hitting the reset button and I don't think my skin will ever be fully strong again.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby dwarfs8 » 14 Nov 2011, 18:48

Yes I read frm some articles that after diarrhea usually there'll be constipation, I'm not sure why though. Curious though, has anyone asked this, does the blood come frm the incision or the fissure?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19