New to the site. Increased Pain after Exam.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New to the site. Increased Pain after Exam.

Postby Goma » 14 Nov 2011, 07:53

Dawn- Thank you for answering my questions. So I am freaking out this morning because I called the CRS I wanted to see and it appears they are booked into December! Do you think my fissure will be chronic by then and it will be too late? Should I try to find a doctor that will take me sooner or just take this one? I'm really worried and not sure what to do...
Goma
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby sputnik » 14 Nov 2011, 10:43

goma why don't you see you family dr. and ask to prescribe one of the creams dawn mentioned. or try find another crs that can see you sooner. Regarding the metamucil i believe its the fruit flavored with psyllium. Hoping your getting better.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2011, 10:57

Hey Goma,
Fissures are considered chronic by 6-8 weeks, but that doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't heal if you saw a CRS after that period. Some folks have healed conservatively without any ointments that are prescribed for fissures. The baths can help relax the muscle and promote blood flow as the ointments do. Diet and stool softeners are the key to manging pain and preventing re-tears. I think if I would have known what foods to avoid and took the Miralax in the early stages with my fissure I would have stood a better chance of healing. I didn't get the Diltiazem until I was around 5 months into having the fissure either. It did help a little but I can't say it was all that great for me personally. It did help get me out of the shards of glass feeling but I still had lots of spasms and re-tears, so unfortunately it really isn't always the magical cure even if you get the ointments.
With that being said, you could try and get another appointment with a CRS who can see you sooner- if possible. Just don't cancel the one you already have until you see how the appointment goes with the one who can see you sooner.
Usually, from my experience here in the US, the doctor who has the longest waiting period for an appointment is popular for a good reason...

Postby Goma » 14 Nov 2011, 16:22

Sputnik - Alright, that's the same metamucil I'm taking then. I didn't think about calling my GP and seeing if I can get medicine. Not a bad idea... I wonder if he would though because he is the one that referred me to the horrible doctor because he acted like he didn't know what to do. Thanks again for your reply!

Dawn- Thanks again for your help! I called and found another doctor that will see me next week, which is much sooner than a month from now, but of course it still seems so far away. The receptionist was super nice, so hopefully that's a good sign. The doctor had good reviews online which is also a plus, and he's a CRS which makes much more sense than the general surgeon I was sent to previously. You're right though, a long waiting list usually is a good sign the doctor knows what they're doing. I'm tempted to call and make an appointment with the first doctor anyway maybe as a follow up for a second opinion if nothing else. I didn't actually make the appointment with that doctor because the receptionist said I should probably see someone sooner. That doctor was at a very prestigious hospital, so I'm guessing that's why. I'm glad to hear the sitz baths have a similar effect that the ointment has. At least I'm feeling better than I was after that horrible exam on Thursday since I've been taking the metamucil, doing the sitz baths, and changed my diet. That's something. :o
Goma
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6