LIS done on 11/11/11 - Experience So Far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS done on 11/11/11 - Experience So Far

Postby lovetorun » 15 Nov 2011, 08:51

Hi Everyone,
I enjoy reading the forums but rarely post. After speaking with Dawn, I decided to post my LIS surgery experience so far.
Dawn and I had LIS performed by the same surgeon down in Ft Myers Florida. Dawn recommended her and I had a visit with the Dr and decided she was the right fit. I was a little worried at first about Dawn's somewhat leakage story 8 months post op but this Dr was better than the one’s I saw up in Tampa.
I had LIS on 11/11/11, what a date to remember. :-) Anyway, the Dr said my fissure was very deep and long, like a pig feeding trough. I had the fissure about year and half and fought it with every cream known to man and every diet. My final cream retrogestic and it did help a lot with the pain but never healed the fissure, so I had LIS done.
The reason I waited so long was because of the 5% incontinence rate and I am a fighter who never gives up on anything, unless I know it’s a lost cause but still even then. Anyway, I had to try everything but Botox to satisfy myself that if I was one of the 5%, I would have no regrets.
Surgery was at 9 am as before mentioned on 11/11/11. I was not nervous and was ready to go. Was out of the hospital within 1.5 hours and headed home, no pain, felt good. They gave me one Vicodin at the hospital.
That Friday, I took 1 more Vicodin 6 hours later and one before bed. I took a total of 2 Vicodin. On Saturday, I took 1000 mg of Tylenol, in the morning and afternoon and stopped all pain meds after that. I read multiple times about people on Miralax etc to get a BM and were afraid of the first BM etc.
My plan was this, once I got home on Friday, I would loaded up the fiber and try to stop all pain meds as soon as possible. That Friday, took in roughly 400% of the daily fiber intake in order to cause a BM. My schedule usually is once in the morning and once between 3 to 5 pm. Saturday morning, per usual body schedule, I woke up and had my first BM , no pain, nothing. I had some blood spotting but nothing to freak me out about. I did have loose stools Saturday x3 and partly Sunday x3 but now they are yellow blobs put together. Its odd that my BM are all yellow but I called Monday and they said that is normal. I am doing 1 tablespoon of Metamucil, started that on Monday as the Dr said I should just to bulk up my stool for a few days and then stop even though my BM are going fine.
Long story short, I am currently on day 5 post op, as I completed day 4 this morning at 9 am, (how I count recovery hours). I’ve been able to “hold my BM in” say I have the urge to go to test if I was able to on multiple tries and I have been able. I am a high strung person, so learning to relax has been hard the past few days but I’ve been watching a ton of Modern Family and etc.
Overall, the pain is gone, a tad bit of itching for maybe 10 minutes total in a day but I just bare through it. My BM area does growl during the day as if I need to go but I just let it pass me by and keep on moving. No leakage as of yet as I do checks after a BM and before a BM. I am doing the sitz bath x3 a day, even if no BM at lunch, just to follow the schedule given. I cannot sit in the recliner as I’ve learned that at least in my case, I clinch when I try to get out of it, so that’s over for now. I do lay on my side and am taking it easy. I have not yet taken Miralax nor do I plan on doing it. I feel fortunate that this surgery went so well so far at least. Fingers cross it stays this way. I do have a post op visit on Dec 5th with the Dr to check the status. Hoping no infection occurs and I heal up well. Image
I would recommend getting the LIS done if you have a choice.
Questions, feel free to ask.
lovetorun
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS done on 11/11/11 - Experience So Far

Postby Jojo1 » 15 Nov 2011, 09:43

Thanks for sharing your experience. Mine is this afternoon, currently hungry and waiting to do prep.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby pita111 » 15 Nov 2011, 09:59

Lovetorun, My experience was very very similar to yours. I had mine on 11/10 anD doing very well. Still alittle tender and I still cringe when the urge comes....even though I have no pain. lIFE IS GOOD AGAIN!
GOOD LUCK Jojo....in a few hours you will be so relieved. I walked out of hospital 1.5 hrs after surgery and went to the pharmacy with my husband to get a few items. Came home, ate and crashed! I don't think you'll regret it.
We look forward to hearing YOUR story tomorrow!!
The Surgery is so LESS painful than the AF!
You'll get your life back!!!
pita111
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2011, 10:17

Awesome and thanks for posting!! Image
She is a great surgeon in my opinion :)
I want to clarify to future LIS-ers what I call leakage though as I don't want to scare anyone away from this surgery, but I do think all deserve to know the facts when deciding!!
Leakage- when you dab a q-tip or wipe and the smallest amount ( NG's description-skid mark! Lol! ) is there. I doubt I would ever know it except for the fact that area is very tender after LIS and having the tag removed which makes it easily irritated. Also I have gave birth to 4 kids- who knows if that's a factor?! The one thing I've noticed is from many of those who have reported the same issue is that the skin tag removal is very tender and any residue at all is aggravating!! The area has continued getting stronger since surgery and things are less irritating.
Also the anus does regain some of it's muscle tone back after LIS which has made the leakage I've experienced less and less over time. If you do notice any post LIS try not to panic because it takes it sweet time but does improve dramatically over months. Another thing I've noticed on this forum is that many of the folks who experienced leakage at all seemed to fair well with their LIS's and have good recoveries as far as the fissure goes Image My husband swears if I wiped like a normal person instead of using the shower wand and dabbing that it wouldn't be dirty when I checked again. I'm not sure because I'll probably never wipe like I did before this all started!
Also if any of you who haven't had surgery have trouble keeping that area squeaky clean because of a skin tag or hem, it's somewhat on that level of a challenge to keep clean since there are naturally folds of skin there that wiping would be required to get to?! I'll have to see how it goes from here in my case... But I would have the surgery all over again and deal with this for the rest of my life before living with a fissure. It's aggravating but a small price to pay to live pain free.
So there's my 2 cents!
Sorry for using your thread to explain things lovetorun but I've noticed I may have scared alot of folks away with this problem!!
Thanks again for posting lovetorun!! Please keep us updated! Things should be up-hill from here for you!

Postby fissurepaingy » 15 Nov 2011, 12:16

Yes sitz bats are a life-saver! I don't what I would do without them! I hear ya on the nervosness of making a BM, I never suffered from bad anxiety in my life until going through my whole fissure/fistula experience! Hang in there, it gets better :D
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby lovetorun » 16 Nov 2011, 15:54

Thanks for the comments! So far so good on day 6 post op (1 day later). No problems and no issues. I did stop the Metamucil and my BM have turned back to normal color.
I'm not really sore anymore nor was I to start with though which is kinda odd. However, looks like I'll go back to work on 21 of Nov for half days as I'm going stir crazy at home.
I'll post another update in a few days.
lovetorun
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby pita111 » 16 Nov 2011, 16:09

Lovetorun, So glad to hear you are doing good!! I had my LIS on 11/10. I went back to work today 11/16 and had a good day. Even had a BM while at work. I had baby wipes and bactrim ointment to ensure I was clean.
I also seem to "toot" more than usual....in fact it can be very embarassing as I have no control nor know it is going to happen! So far that is the only negative of the surgery. I may need to get a muffler! LOL Image Hopefully over time, this will subside!.
pita111
Fibre Addict