anyone had Standardized Anal Dilatation rahter than LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: anyone had Standardized Anal Dilatation rahter than LIS?

Postby Guest » 23 Nov 2011, 19:54

Wecc,
What were the reasons giving to you that made you believe anal dilation is the way to go? I'm curious, because I had read and been told just the opposite. Image

Postby wecc » 23 Nov 2011, 20:26

Hi Dawn....My understanding this seems to work for many rather than an LIS. I saw a reply from someone on another site and saidit was oustanding. Dr Sohn is now retired. However there are now CRS that do this and for some it is a very good alternative to an LIS with less complications……. did you look at link above?
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 23 Nov 2011, 21:47

Yes, I just watched the link. Just curious as to what your specific concerns are. I researched anal dilation online and never saw anything that made me think it was a better choice than LIS Image I was just curious as to why someone may choose it over LIS? From what I've read and my experience incontinence to flatus isn't a long term problem after the initial post-op period with LIS. I understand you having concerns for an infection though. I was terribly worried about that myself when I had my LIS.
I found this on Medicinenet.com and this is what I commonly came up with while searching for info. We had a guy in here who had anal dilation and the last I heard he was doing great. He wasn't from the US though. I didn't realize there were CRS's in the US who still do this procedure?!
Anal surgical stretch. Several surgeons have described procedures that stretch and tear the anal sphincters for the treatment of anal fissures. Though anal stretching often is successful in alleviating pain and healing the fissure, it is a traumatic, uncontrolled disruption of the sphincter. Ultrasonograms of the anal sphincters following stretching demonstrate trauma that extends beyond the desired area. Because only 72% of fissures heal and there is a 20% incidence of incontinence of stool, stretching has fallen out of favor.
Medscape.com
Sphincter dilatation
This procedure is a controlled anal stretch or dilatation under general anesthetic. This is performed because one of the causative factors for anal fissure is thought to be a tight internal anal sphincter; stretching it helps to correct the underlying abnormality, thus allowing the fissure to heal. The number of fingers used and the amount of time the stretch is applied varies among surgeons. While the sphincter stretch does provide symptomatic relief from the anal fissure, it is rarely performed today, because of the high complication rate. Impaired continence is observed in 12-27% of patients because of the uncontrolled stretching and subsequent tearing of the internal and external sphincter.
Last edited by Guest on 24 Nov 2011, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wecc » 24 Nov 2011, 06:57

Hello Dawn! i would never, ever go along with the old way of proforming a Anal Dilatation. However, An older method of anal dilatation was commonly used until LIS was introduced in 1969. In this older method the surgeon inserted his fingers into the anus and spread the anal opening "manually." This was relatively uncontrolled, and often resulted in some degree of incontinence.
In the 1970's LIS became the standard operation for anal fissure because it produced lower rates of incontinence than uncontrolled manual dilatation. In the 1990's Dr. Norman Sohn developed “Standardized Anal Dilatation.” This procedure stretches the sphincter muscle in a measured and controlled way that is significantly less likely to produce incontinence. This method also reduces the chances of other complications, such as bleeding and infection. Dr. Sohn treated more than 2000 fissures this way and claimed to have an 87% fissure healing rate (95% pain relief with or without full healing) and an incontinence rate of 0.3%.
There are CRS that proform the Standardized Anal Dilatation which does indeed have a very good success rate...
So my question becomes...if this Standardized Anal Dilatation has good results, why not go for it rather then getting cut? This is what I am trying to find out.
Have an outstanding thanksgiving and thank you for your response!
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 24 Nov 2011, 20:21

Have you found a CRS here in the US who does this and isn't retired?
I can only answer your question for myself ,as I never was offered the procedure and like I said before with all my research I didn't see it as a better option at the time, But If you have a CRS who does this with a newer controlled method, and that's something you would rather do then why not!
Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Postby TonyStone » 28 Nov 2011, 10:40

THIS needs to be an episode of "How its Made.."
My mom said Dr OZ talked about fissures, has anyone seen that show?
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Val76 » 06 Dec 2011, 10:41

Hello Wecc...
yes...as yet it helped, but of course I can`t say what the future brings. I think I would be a lot better if I wouldn`t have the pelvic floor dissynergie (here in the forum it was called pelvic floor disfunction), but for somebody who hasn`t that problem I think the dilitation would work very good. Here in Germany they prefer the dilitation and recommend it often to people to do it by themselves in home and I read many successful stories, but I can not imagine to do it by myself...only when I think about it I get a cramb. Also to let it be done by a CRS is more effective as they can diliate the sphincter more. I am not sure, but here I think they do it with a kind of ballon....
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby wecc » 06 Dec 2011, 13:35

Hi Val,
I hope your doing well... doing it yourself??!! I am not even going there....
http://anal-fissure.org/t3936-thinking-of-a-lisread-this-first
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Val76 » 08 Dec 2011, 07:55

Hello wecc,
feeling better than before dilitation, but still have problems sometimes because of PFD. Today I had difficulties to have a BM because my pelvic muscles where tighten up. Don`t know if it is all sore now or if I have litte skin breaks again. Hoping everything will be fine, but my CRS told me that the dilitation will not resolve the PFD....
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6