anyone had Standardized Anal Dilatation rahter than LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

anyone had Standardized Anal Dilatation rahter than LIS?

Postby wecc » 16 Nov 2011, 10:17

My understanding this seems to work for many rather than an LIS. I saw a reply from someone on another site and saidit was oustanding. Dr Sohn is now retired. However there are now CRS that do this and for some it is a very good alternative to an LIS with less complications……
Anal dilatation (sphincter stretch) is another way to treat anal fissure. An older method of anal dilatation was commonly used until LIS was introduced in 1969. In this older method the surgeon inserted his fingers into the anus and spread the anal opening "manually." This was relatively uncontrolled, and often resulted in some degree of incontinence. In the 1970's LIS became the standard operation for anal fissure because it produced lower rates of incontinence than uncontrolled manual dilatation. In the 1990's Dr. Norman Sohn developed “Standardized Anal Dilatation.” This procedure stretches the sphincter muscle in a measured and controlled way that is significantly less likely to produce incontinence. This method also reduces the chances of other complications, such as bleeding and infection. Dr. Sohn treated more than 2000 fissures this way and claimed to have an 87% fissure healing rate (95% pain relief with or without full healing) and an incontinence rate of 0.3%.
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: anyone had Standardized Anal Dilatation rahter than LIS?

Postby Val76 » 17 Nov 2011, 11:42

Hello,
I did a dilitation on 04.11. In Germany they prefer the dilitation as they also say there are less complications...
I am thinking it is less painful after due to that what I am reading here, but can`t say it for sure as I never had LIS...
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby wecc » 17 Nov 2011, 11:51

Hello Val...has the dilitation worked for you...how bad was your fissure prior?
thank you
bc
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Val76 » 17 Nov 2011, 12:06

I had many small fissures....it is only 2 weeks ago, but there is no fissure pain at the moment ...it is more a sore feeling.
In my case it is a little bit more complicated as I have also a pelvic floor disfunction...
Val76
Salt Bather

Postby wecc » 19 Nov 2011, 17:09

wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Em » 19 Nov 2011, 22:00

This is a post I put up a while ago:
My update
Post by Em on November 6th 2011, 6:40 pm
I went back to see the surgeon when I got back from my holiday as I was still bleeding. He examined me and said I didn't have a fissure. I was bleeding when he was examining me and it hurt...
He said I needed another colonoscopy (what joy) as he'd been surprised that my results had come back clear last time I had a colonoscopy as my bowel wall looked mottled and he thought I had crohns.
I went in 2 weeks ago for the procedure.
Then I went back to my doctor with the colonoscopy photos and it said no tumours or pollups (sp?). My doctor didn't seem to recoil like the surgeon had at my bowel wall.
tongue
The last week saw the surgeon - results - a superfical fissure he said he'd scraped (or words to that effect). Nothing else came back from the biopsy, the stool sample etc. I was relieved about that.
He also said he'd dilated my anus with his finger (it was bloody sore for a few days after the colonoscopy) and that should help the mottled skin heal (when i asked him).
Anyway, I didn't have blood for a week and was very happy.
This morning i got quite a lot of blood again in the toilet.
Rolling Eyes
I didn't feel anxious as it didn't hurt and I know I don't have crohns but it still kind of sucked.
My natropath said she thinks I have a weakness in that area and will give me a tonic to improve vascular strength.
I'm also going to try to get nifidene (0.3%). It has to be compounded here and is expensive - the chemist wasn't sure he could get it so I'll find out Monday.
New update:
I haven't had blood since that day and have been feeling really good.
It was an odd feeling putting the nifidene on my finger and being able to put it into my bottom - previously when I tried to apply manuka honey my anus was very tight and my little finger would barely fit. Now my index finger can fit.
I don't have any leakage problems.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Val76 » 22 Nov 2011, 07:31

Hello Em,
did they recommend you to use further an anal dilitator (is it called like this in English ?) in home after the dilitation they did ? My doctor said to me it is important, but I am afraid to use it...only when I think about it I get a cramb !
Val76
Salt Bather

Postby Em » 22 Nov 2011, 23:45

He didn't say to do anything.
I am not sure if I'm meant to.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby wecc » 23 Nov 2011, 19:12

Val and Em....did you believe the Anal Dilatation worked for you overall? Its either that or and LIS. I am told if possible, the Anal Dilatation is the better way to go
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist