I have a question for LIS Vets :)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I have a question for LIS Vets :)

Postby Guest » 18 Nov 2011, 07:47

I was wondering if all of you who have been post- LIS for quite some time( months, years) think it's necessary to have a bm everyday for the rest of our lives? Also has there been a day since your surgery that you didn't have one and did things seem ok because of the delay? I've missed one day since my surgery a year ago and it went fine...
Thanks! :)

Re: I have a question for LIS Vets :)

Postby k_fissure » 20 Nov 2011, 16:00

Hey there it's been about 3 months since I've had my LIS and I can say its perfectly normal if you dont get a BM on a particular day. Once I didn't eat a lot throughout the whole day and didn't really get a BM that day but woke up next morning had breakfast and had a BM and it was all normal.
k_fissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 20 Nov 2011, 20:31

Thank you so much K! It's nice to hear from other folks and see how things work for them also. I really got nervous the day that happened and I think I over eat to keep things moving. I'm still struggling to find a way to loose weight and eat what I need fiber wise. I use to eat a lot of junk and not much good and now I've found I can eat a lot more junk then I did with my fissure but I still try and eat all the fiber I need. I think the deprivation has made a real glut out of me and I need to come back to reality with some self control on the bad eating habits Image
I have learned even at a year post-op you can't be too careful with getting enough fiber and water. I kind of had a scare the other day that left me sore and reminded me I still need to be careful. Thank God I didn't have a re-tear!

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Nov 2011, 08:33

Hey Dawn! There have been a few times that I have gone without a BM for a day. The first time it happened I was pretty freaked out, so I took Miralax (I've been off that for a while now). But each time, the BM the next day was just fine. :D I know what you mean about being careful, though. I still bleed a bit if I have to push at all - but, thankfully, there's no real pain. Sometimes on the rough days, there's some irritation, which gets me down a bit. But then I remember my butt didn't like hard, difficult BM before the whole fissure fiasco either. I'm pretty sure I read that 3 BMs per day to 3 BMs per week is in the normal range.
I'm so glad you didn't have a re-tear! I guess our butts are going to make us behave properly for a good long while. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 21 Nov 2011, 08:53

Thank you, Hope! :) I will try and relax more if that happens again!
To be honest it scared the hell out of me when I didn't go but I drank water like a camel and took about a 1/2 tsp more of Miralax that night and like you said it went pretty good the next day.
Recently I had a little firmer bm and for the first time ever since LIS, I went into panic and pushed just a little and it made me a little sore. It kind of freaked me out because I haven't really had any problems with that since surgery and I thought after a year, just a small push wouldn't do anything, but I guess pushing a little is still not a good thing even after this long, but come to think of it when I first got my fissure I barely pushed and saw blood Image
I can't believe you are off the Miralax. That's awesome Hope! I don't know when I will get the nerve to stop. I'm still afraid I won't be able to go without it when I do. Image I was on Colace for 8 months and have taken the Miralax for a year now. I have no idea what effect that's going to have on my bowels- if they will become lazy?!! I'm pretty sure I will have to be very careful with diet, etc when making that change with no room for slip ups with bad food and junk...

Postby Guest » 21 Nov 2011, 09:02

Ps...
I understand , it does get you down. I seriously thought I could have messed something up, but unlike before LIS, things got better in a few days and not worse- Image
Thank God! It was mild discomfort but it makes you stop in your tracks and my mind went a little crazy with the what if's!! Image
I thought oh great, I'm going to need a second LIS after having such an awesome recovery, that my muscle had regained too much strength after a year!! Image :roll:

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Nov 2011, 09:21

I completely understand the fear of the hard poop! I've panicked a few times after a hard BM too. I'm beginning to appreciate how long it takes to really recover from all this, so it's good for me to know that things may be a bit tender even a year from surgery.
Fissure really do mess with your head! I also have those horrible 'what if' thoughts whenever things don't go absolutely perfect with the BMs, or if my butt isn't absolutely perfectly happy. :roll: I still have my anti-anxiety meds handy in case I need them again! I've chatted more about pooping with friends and family than I ever thought I would, and many of them tell me that they sometime bleed and get sore after a difficult BM too, so I guess it's important to remember that those things can also be normal. In fact, going a whole year without a sore poop might be a bit abnormal! But good for you! Image
I am happy to be off the Miralax ; but I did have some kind of post-infectious IBS (that was what caused the whole fissure nightmare in the first place), which made my stools very loose. (It also made my insides feel like they were on fire! I'd take the Miralax over that any day!). Happily, it seems like my system is normalizing now - phew! I don't think there should be any problems with taking Miralax long-term; but I understand why you would want to eventually 'naturalize' your system. Have you tried tapering off the Miralax? Have you tried flax powder? I find that stuff is wonderful for producing nice poops. :D I put heaps of it in my oatmeal in the morning. My CRS, GI and gyno all say flax is the best stuff for having good BMs - and in my case, they are absolutely right. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 21 Nov 2011, 11:04

Hope, when you had a harder bm that made you sore, did it feel like a slight swelling in that area internally? Mine doesn't feel like fissure pain but just a kind of sore, swollen feeling. I was told I didn't have any internal hems by a few doctors when my fissure started. Who knows what the trauma or surgery could have done in there?!
I haven't tried the flax but I will definitely keep that in mind when I make the final steps and get off the Miralax.
I did cut down from a capful to a little less than a 1/2 of a capful since surgery. I can't remember exactly what that is in measurements at the moment but I can't seem to get the nerve to do anymore than that...I kind of have a fear of eating something that's not so fissure friendly and getting myself into trouble again.
I think you are right about people normally getting a little sore after a bm once in awhile. My husband has seen blood here and there at times.
I am beginning to think it could take closer to two years and whoever said that area can take that long to fully recover was right in my opinion. I guess the good news is all the old timers have disappeared so maybe that means is does eventually happen!
Thanks so much! Image

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Nov 2011, 18:29

Hey Dawn - yep. Sometimes it does feel like things are a bit swollen. But I also think that's kinda normal too when pushing is involved. I still get a 'scraping' feeling sometimes too - but that's because the fistulotomy wound is still really delicate and gets irritated easily. I think the swelling is common for those non-AF people too, at least from what I've heard.
I definitely know what you mean about being fearful of food! I only just started having coffee again (Oh I missed coffee!!). But I only have 1/2 cup in the morning. That fear will likely be around for quite a while! But I supposed that's not a bad thing. I'm definitely eating much healthier food than I ever have before. :D I started the flax before I went off the Miralax. I started with small amounts of flax and then increased the flax as I decreased the Miralax. You'll know when you're ready to try that, though. I think those of us who have survived a fissure have learned how to listen to our bodies effectively.
I agree that we are probably looking at a 2 year recovery period at least. We've been through a heckuva lot, so I guess it shouldn't be too surpising that the recovery will be a while. :roll: Oh well ... I guess it's good for me to learn patience as well as good eating habits. :) We'll get there! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Val76 » 22 Nov 2011, 06:56

Hello Dawn... I didn`t had LIS (only a dilitation 3 weeks ago), but I was also wondering if that is normal that I am feeling sore again after having a big (but soft) BM. Afterwards it feels like swollen as well, especially on the left side when I am sitting. It is worser when I have my period. Last week it was bleeding on that side for 2 days when I had a BM. That makes me all very frustrated when that happens. The good thing is that after a few days it `s seems to be good again. This happens 2x now after the dilitation and always I go mad as I am afraid that I have got the skin breaks again. I can also not imagine to go off from Lactulose...I am too afraid ! And I am still eating healthy as well... and I don`t know how to change ever back to normal ?!
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6