Surgery Scheduled, Anxiety Begins.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery Scheduled, Anxiety Begins.

Postby shakeit » 25 Nov 2011, 12:14

My CRS said my fissure is very deep too with exposed muscle, but he wasn't a fan of cleaning it up and neither was I. A different surgeon I saw wanted to clean it up and use botox but I went with the LIS only instead. The CRS I went wit said a fissurectomy (if that's what you're having) can take a bit longer to heal, but if its what's needed then its probably a good idea.
I'm in the process of healing from an LIS I had two weeks ago and it wasnt as bad I thought it would be. The surgery pain was less than the fissure pain.
I find soft boiled veges like brocolli, carrots, peas etc are good and that chicken is better than red meats. After surgery keep a jug of water by you as well as some pain meds, which you may not even need. I only took strong ones the morning after surgery and then went to paractemol. The fissure pain was less and the surgery pain responded much better to the paracetamol than the fissure did.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby dwarfs8 » 25 Nov 2011, 19:30

there's really nothing wrong in taking prune juice, just that u need to take the right amount. Always start with a small amount and then work it up to achieve the desired state of your stools. If you drink TOO MUCH, there'll be explosive diarrhea.
I would recommend that u take Miralax first after surgery and if u like, when u feel it's better and u have gained some confidence, start to GRADUALLY reduce the miralax and concurrently take some prune juice. Whenever u increase prune juice, u have to reduce the miralax.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 25 Nov 2011, 22:41

What dose of Valium have people been prescribed?
While I didn't eat much at Thanksgiving yesterday, I over did it with beer and wine (started having major spasm at in-laws and wanted relief from pain) and neglected to take softener before bed. Needless to say, I had one hell of a time today, and the worst pain and bleeding in weeks. While I wouldn't increase dose without consulting CRS, I was wondering what dose others have been prescribed?
In an effort to control spasms, I finally decided to heed the advice above and take the Valium prescribed by my CRS. My scrip calls for 1 5mg pill 3x day. However, 1 5mg pill didn't seem to offer relief.
Also, CRS prescribed Vicodin with Valium. I am a little hesitant to take the two together, and would like to know if any members have used the two together. If so, did you experience anything weird?
T-4 days.
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice!
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby TonyStone » 28 Nov 2011, 10:34

I was scared beyond belief and you may have read my surgery account on the board, I can say this, it was way worse in my head than real life and once they started the drugs before putting me completely out, the anxiety went away.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 28 Nov 2011, 16:47

Tony,
I have found your surgical accounts to be inspiring! I have really appreciated the humor that you inject into a not so funny topic (although some of your comments have made me laugh so hard, that they sent me into spasm).
If I remember correctly, you are getting ready to start school. I'm a third year non-traditional student (39) at Ohio State. Don't worry, going back to school is a piece of cake compared to a fissure! Oh, and I get lots of discounts at the student union... the kids assume that I am faculty.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11