Thoughts from an AF veteran

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Thoughts from an AF veteran

Postby Bambi » 24 Nov 2011, 08:06

Hi all- I have been thinking of posting for days and have some random thoughts in my head. I guess I would just label them "thoughts" rather than advice. Here goes:
1. When you first notice a fissure, start the sitz baths right away. Maybe try an over the counter ointment like A and D (not hemmie stuff) . If it isn't gone in a week or two, buck up and get over the first hump of seeing a Dr.
2. Try the Nifedipine or other cream they suggest and ask for specifics about applying it and then do it religiously. Know that it is something that helps a lot of people and that it takes a few weeks.
3. If that doesn't work and you are still with your family Dr., ask for a referral or take yourself to a colorectal surgeon. "But I don't want surgery!" you'll say in horror. Still, this is the one to go to. I was able to make my own decisions about who to go to because of our insurance. I know that's not always the case. I picked up a local magazine that lists the "Top Docs" each year and matched up a couple of names that were also on my insurance plan. Then I searched the internet for reviews about them. The one I went with didn't have the best bedside manner, that's for sure. But he fixed me!
4. The reason you want a CRS is that they know the most and know the correct steps to help decide if you actually need surgery. Mine surprised me because I was expecting him to want to do the surgery right away. Instead he suggested Botox. If they suggest it, try it. Mine was done without anesthesia in the emergency room across the street from his office (due to insurance rules- he would have done it in the office if he could have). I had some old Lorazapaem sitting around and have to confess I took one. I am a very nervous person and was very scared. Still, it wasn't that bad at all and I did see some progress there, just not enough.
5. If the CRS recommends a second round of Botox, don't be surprised. I think that is a "protocol" they tend to follow. Once again, my second round I was more prepared and it helped a little more.
6. If your path is similar and you get to this point, don't be fooled by the on again, off again nature of a chronic fissure. If it isn't gone completely, don't live in this limbo for too long. It is not good for your emotional health! They are sneaky things.
7. If your CRS recommends surgery, just go and do it and get it over with. It isn't a picnic, but once it is done (for most of us!), it seems to open the door to true healing beginning and then you are on a different road in my opinion and one that is continuously improving and not one step forward, one step back kind of a thing.
8. If your CRS recommends surgery and wants to do it right there in the office without anesthesia, get up and find another Dr.
9. Know that those of us who have done pretty well have needed at least around 2 weeks of not sitting and just hanging out on our sides on the couch. Get yourself the movies and magazines and books you've been wanting to read. Treat this as the surgery it is- some Drs. will tell people they'll be back to normal in a day or week or something. That seems to be some extraordinary superhero people that maybe don't really exist? The truth is you will need a little support, especially if you have young children, so this would be a good time to call your Mom and ask for help. I'm a Mom and I'd come running!
10. I gradually started walking around the house, sitting at the computer a little, but I'm lucky to be retired so I could set my own schedule. If you have a job, I'd try to have a serious talk with a sympathetic supervisor and explain that you might be out longer than a week and then might need half days and some flexibility. I think they would prefer that approach rather than someone saying they'll be out two days and then continuously calling in sick. Try to phrase it in a way where it blocks questions- "I'll be having some surgery soon. It's in a sensitive area and rather embarrassing, but I wanted to let you know what to expect in terms of my recovery needs"... something like that.
11. These are some things that were very helpful to me:
Calmoseptine (an ointment my CRS recommended and had in the drugstore in his building. I also have seen it at the medical center pharmacy where my husband has been going. I have ordered it online as well and that might be easiest for most people. It has menthol in it and also zinc and is soothing.
A and D ointment is still an old stand-by for me and less invasive and messy than the Calmoseptine. If I have a slight irritation now, I'll start with a tiny bit of A and D and then move to the Calmoseptine if that doesn't help.
Sitz baths do really help. Make your bathroom comfortable. Have a nice towel to wrap into. Ask for a nice robe for Christmas. Take up crossword or Sudoku in the tub. Get a basket to keep those or magazines or a book in with your reading glasses, pencils, etc...Get a nice soothing candle and light it to make it a relaxing time. Just stay in long enough- 10-15 minutes more often instead of an hour one time a day. At least at first. Now I'm at the one time a day stage.
Vaseline put on before your bowel movement can really help soothe things as they come out, I've found.
A lot of the supplements did not work for me because although menopause sent me into a period of constipation and hard stools, my tendency is to easily get loose stools. You have to work with your own body. However, for many on here Miralax (I forget the name in other parts of the world right now!) has been the best help for keeping stools soft and passing more easily. For me, I just started having 5-6 BMS a day after a while and had to cut back but at least initially you really need a reliable stool softener so that things aren't too hard.
Balneol! I resisted using this for a long time but finally started using it a few weeks after surgery. It is amazing that it cleans up residue you didn't realize was still there and therefore really helped with minor irritations that were driving me crazy!
I bought several squirt bottles (the ones I found are very soft and pliable- called Go Toobs-. They do a good job of shooting water UP when they are filled completely. They make a pretty darn good small portable bidet for last cleanup.
Adult wet wipes you find in the toilet paper section. I've always used these, but if you aren't you are getting more irritated than you need to. I then follow up with rinse and wrung out Tucks wipes because I find they are of a thinner nature and I use them with the Balneol. I have recently started just using them without rinsing them. I didn't want to get too much witch hazel in the picture before.
I carry around (in my huge purse!) a baggie with the Balneol, the squirt bottle, and some of the Tucks wipes. I also have Cottenelle travel size wipes in there and start with them. This has made my fear of having a BM when traveling or out to eat not as great. I also have tiny little plastic pots I bought in the travel section at the store and put a dab of Calmoseptine and A and D and some vaseline. So I am prepared for most anything. I will soon be having shoulder surgery due to the weight of my bag (just kidding!).
Rely on the folks here and ask any old thing you want! I certainly have and have gotten not only answers, but kind, loving support.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Thoughts from an AF veteran

Postby Guest » 24 Nov 2011, 20:14

Great information! Happy Thanksgiving to you too Bambi Image

Postby Sue27uk » 26 Nov 2011, 11:48

Bambi, I noticed you had the botox. I have had this 5 days ago and am in quite alot of considerable pain. I am also still having quite a bit of bleeding (which I have never had before in the 8 months I have been suffering), although this is confined to just when I go for a bm now. It is so painful and I reckon the fissures have retorn. The injection sites are still extremely sore too, is this normal? Call me naive but I honestly didn't expect this from botox, and am starting to think if it is offered again then I will not be prepared to go through this again. I have been checked and theres no infection etc. They will not offer surgery, so I think I will just have to carry on for a while like I was once this settles down as it is really painful. Good tips btw! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Em » 26 Nov 2011, 13:49

Thank you for taking the time to post such valuable info.
:)
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby MattMecham » 27 Nov 2011, 00:08

You're a gem, Bambi. It is people like you who made me feel so relaxed and much more comfortable with going ahead with LIS. I was so discouraged and depressed back in March, just on the brink of probably doing something drastic (like running down a street in my neighborhood, butt-naked and slathered in green jello, yodeling my head off). I was looking for guidance and answers, and you, and others like you on this website, gave me exactly what I needed. After reading all of the advice, encouragement, and travails from so many members, an overpowering feeling in my heart told me what I was supposed to do ("buck up and get the LIS, you sissy"). I am very thankful for you and the other kind people I have met on these forums. You were instrumental in helping me get my life back. God bless you.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3