Diet tips

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Diet tips

Postby slowprocess » 27 Nov 2011, 14:15

can anyone tell me what diet is the best for healing after LIS/ Fiss surgery? any advice on Miralax vs colace/ and how much water is enough?
slowprocess

Topics: 2

Re: Diet tips

Postby dwarfs8 » 27 Nov 2011, 20:04

u can try eat foods that are of high-fiber nature, such as oats, cereals, grains, beans, veg, fruits. However, u have to eat it moderately as too much fiber can bulk up ur stools and harden it as well. The rule of thumb is this, the more fiber u eat, the more water u need to take.
Avoid red meat, starchy foods like potatoes, rice as these can harder. Sharp foods like popcorn, nuts too. If u like pasta, u may take wholemeal pasta, those have high-fiber.
At least 8 glasses of water, but i personally drink much more than that. I drink about 4-5 liters of water per day.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby shakeit » 03 Dec 2011, 07:04

I find soft boiled veg like broccoli, peas, cabbage, carrots, leeks works well. Chicken is probably the safest meat. Making sure the balance of vegetables to carbs and protein is either the same or fairly high is a good idea too.
I too drink lots of water about 4 litres a day.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2011, 09:55

Hey SP,
For most of us Miralax works much better than Colace. You can adjust the dose up or down depending on how it works for you. I started with the capful and adjusted down.
All of the advice above for diet is great. Just keep a good variety of soluble and insoluble fiber. For example if you eat a ton of cabbage and greens then a sweet potato or mashed potatoes, or carrots would probably work fine. I ate a whole lot of beans during recovery. The 15 bean soup kept me alive, Lol. Pea soup wasn't one of my favorites before a fissure but it was pretty tasty after I got one and it's very high fiber. As Dwarf mentioned, you don't need to go on fiber overload but a fair amount will give the easiest bm's/ I ate around 20-25 grams and then just ate safe food like some yogurt or applesauce which aren't particularly high in fiber but give a little more to eat.

Postby grannymaria » 04 Jan 2012, 18:20

Thanks for tips.. Will do
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13