Surgery Complete!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery Complete!

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 29 Nov 2011, 11:32

Was not nearly as bad as I thought. Currently laying in recovery waiting to pee and discharge. Legs still a little numb, but no pain, yet.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Surgery Complete!

Postby Jojo1 » 29 Nov 2011, 11:34

You've crossed the bridge and I'm pulling for uneventful and steady recovery for you.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby Sue1962 » 29 Nov 2011, 12:30

A big CONGRATS!!! Image Glad your on the other side now..I have a question though, why are your legs numb?? Did you get a nerve block?
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Away PITA! » 29 Nov 2011, 13:33

GREAT!!! Keep us updated on your progress!
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 29 Nov 2011, 15:39

A big thank you to all of you for your support and encouragement!
@ Sue - Yes, they gave me a nerve block and sedation. I was a little uptight when the anesthesiologist told me that I would not be completely out for the procedure, but all I remember is joking with my CRS and sitting on the operating table for the spinal injection. Next thing, I was in recovery talking to my CRS and feeling pretty good. No nausea, no pain. I was up and walking within the hour.
6 hours post-op and I feel a little uncomfortable, mostly due to the bandaging on my rear and the 1.5 hour ride home. Like many have said, the discomfort beats spasms.
I will post progress reports as I go.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Sue1962 » 30 Nov 2011, 08:03

WOW!!! You are a brave one!!! Glad you are feeling well!! I have about a 2 hour ride as well. Did you sit or lay down?? Taking any pain meds or just ibuprofen? Hope you continue to do well. Keep us posted!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2011, 08:27

Congrats on getting your surgery Jay! :)

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 30 Nov 2011, 11:07

Not so brave today! Felt like a champ until late last night. My sphincter feels like a rock down there, and although I have felt the urge to go since last night, I can't seem to go. I have tried everything; tons of H20, MiraLax, Doc-Q-Lace, and sitz baths. I have been taking vicodin, but I have been staying super hydrated and have only had a bowl of soup and three jello cups since yesterday.
The pain is not too bad, but the pressure is pretty uncomfortable. I would give anything for a BM, or even some good old gas.
The strangest thing is that I keep feeling like I've had an accident, but when I go to clean up... nothing?
Unlike fissure pain, at least with this pain, I know that things should get better as the days go on.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2011, 11:16

Hey Jay,
The pressure is normal. There's a lot of swelling going on in there and could be making you think you need to have a bm. Also if you have packing, that can feel pretty uncomfortable. I would stay off my feet and bottom. Eat a little more than jello and soup - like some soft fiber foods and keep up with the water and stool softeners and you should have a bm soon.

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2011, 11:23

Ps.. I'm not sure what your post-op instructions are but the sooner you can start having the warm baths, the better.
They really help with the soreness. Ice can be helpful post-op too. Some of us found that ice( a bag of frozen peas) in a small towel helped. Don't apply it directly to your skin though.
Good luck! These are the sorest days and as you said it's healing pain this time. It will get better as time passes. Continue to take good care of yourself :)