Post-op and Miralax Question?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post-op and Miralax Question?

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 04 Dec 2011, 12:09

If you are taking Miralax post-operatvely, do you still need to be taking a stool softener, or will Miralax do the job ?
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Post-op and Miralax Question?

Postby Guest » 04 Dec 2011, 13:13

Hey Jay,
I think the Miralax alone will do the trick. It draws water into the bowels just as docusate sodium does (which is a stool softener) but is much more effective. I've never used anything with the Miralax. I took Colace prior to using Miralax but didn't find it to be anywhere near as effective as Miralax.

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 04 Dec 2011, 13:43

Hey Dawn,
Before surgery, I had good results with high fiber diet and 2 senna before bed. Pre-op form letter from CRS office said to take 1 senna am/ 1 senna pm, and metamucil 1 x day (never had good luck with that stuff). In the recovery room, CRS said to take Miralx and docusate. Docusate did nothing. Two days ago, I switched to Miralax midday and resumed 2 senna before bed. I had a great day yesterday, but I had a hard time with BM around 2 am and ended up using a warm enema (sitz bath, lots of pacing the floor, and back to valium), but pretty easy time after waking up late this morning.
Does Miralax require drinking lots more water, and decrease in food fiber intake?
It seems like post-op, the rules have changed, and it is hard to find the right combination!
Thanks,
Jay
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 04 Dec 2011, 16:17

Hey Jay,
I agree the Docusate Sodium was like a sugar pill for me, just useless!
Miralax does have better results with a fair amount of water. I can definitely tell a difference if I don't drink enough water. I usually eat around 20-25 grams of fiber a day & drink about 8- 8 oz glasses of water a day. You don't really need to go on fiber over load but definitely keep it around the RDA and always drink a fair amount of water with any of the stool softeners, and fiber.
I'm not sure if you may be already doing this, but since you're having a hard time with the Bm's, I just thought I'd mention- it's important to avoid anything that can cause the harder Bm's. Definitely, no cheese, white bread, or red meat. I've read where some have even noticed harder Bm's with the whole wheat pasta, rice or bread... So you may have to tinker with your diet a little and see what works best until you get some healing time on this and are able to eat a little more variety.
Ps...
I was told this before surgery (and it was probably the best advice I got on here) Not to change anything that was working before surgery after surgery- as far as diet and stool softeners. It worked pretty well for me. I did change to Miralax after surgery but it wasn't because I got constipated. I just got tired of taking 6 colace a day...
Please forgive me if it sounds like I'm preaching and you already know this, Lol.
Good Luck and I hope this all makes sense. I have a slipped disk in my back and can't set at the computer too long. I think it's another lovely side effect of my fissure and poor posture Image

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 04 Dec 2011, 21:04

Hey Dawn,
Your advice is very much appreciated!
Makes sense, I think that I may have been overloading on fiber. If I remember correctly from Food science biology, RDAs are a "high goal" that the FDA sets to meet the nutrition goals of 90+ % of healthy individuals in every demographic.
I think not changing anything sounds like solid advice. Makes sense, if it worked with the fissure, should work now. I'm thinking that I'm being a little overly protective and maybe a little paranoid about doing damage to the repair; something, when we have come this far, I'm sure a lot of AF sufferers who have had LIS go through.
I'm sorry to hear about your back. While AF hasn't caused me any major back problems, I do have lower back/hip pain from having had to constantly lean forward to relieve the pressure over my rear end.
Rest that back, and I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks again,
Jay
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather