Prune juice

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Prune juice

Postby sterlingbird » 11 Dec 2011, 14:41

OK so before I started this venture of fissures I was already on a gluten free dairy free diet for the last 5 years. The doctors argued crohns, celiac IBS so I let them argue and found what worked for me.I recently (the last year) tried to introduce yogurt back into my diet with the use of lactose pills. I really was just manipulating my way to icecream. So 3 fissures with tags and 2 surgeries later I am trying to get back on track. I ate steamed carrots, peas prunes oatmeal and greenbeans for a whole week. Took a tsp of fiber 2 times a day.Drank no less than a half gallon of water a day. Limited pain meds (one percoset a day halved in to) and in one week after surgery tore myself up with a BM. Tried every thing to soften BMs. Stool softeners, laxatives make me deathly ill but I used in small doses. Nothing was working. So I got pissed, went to the store bought a bottle of prune juice and downed a full 8 oz glass. I crapped for 24 hours. So the next day I used 4 oz. Still very watery and continue throughout the day. Tomorrow I will try 2 oz. Any experience with this would be helpful. The juice is wonderful but a little too good. The other thing is I have read that at some point it may stop working for me(oh no say it aint so).
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Prune juice

Postby dwarfs8 » 12 Dec 2011, 03:48

u shld always try prune juice at the minimum then slowly work ur way up. I didn't know prune juice can give me diarrhea at first and was too patient with my fissure, i drank 1.5cup in a day and i went to toilet at least 8 times?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby shakeit » 12 Dec 2011, 11:13

I started using prune juice a couple of weeks ago together with 100mg magnesium tabs recommended on here.
I take 3-4 fl oz of freshly squeezed prune juice twice a day and it makes BMs soft but not too watery.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby dwarfs8 » 12 Dec 2011, 19:15

shakeit wrote:I started using prune juice a couple of weeks ago together with 100mg magnesium tabs recommended on here.
I take 3-4 fl oz of freshly squeezed prune juice twice a day and it makes BMs soft but not too watery.

great! wow, it's hard to get prunes here, except dry ones. I drink mine from a bottle, not a healthy choice of cos!
i'm also taking prune juice daily in the morning and then magnesium oxide 400mg at night before i sleep.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby sterlingbird » 13 Dec 2011, 07:49

So the mag has a laxative or softening affect?
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby dwarfs8 » 13 Dec 2011, 21:45

magnesium is an essential mineral in the body, it attracts water in the gut and thus soften the stools. It relaxes and regulates the muscles, thus promoting urges.
dwarfs8
King Fissure