how common is getting a second opinion?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

how common is getting a second opinion?

Postby beachgirl » 18 Dec 2011, 12:36

i am wondering how long i can live like this?
i just got botox so want to wait the five weeks or so
my crs is pretty big and well known
how does one pick a surgeon? i really, really like mine so far... in every respect, so i am just wondering about next steps?
she is very holistic and wants to do everything possible before surgery
she says 1 in 100 has fecal incontinence (and that this is a horrible outcome, by any standard!) and 4 in 100 get flatulence to some degree (those are her stats)
questions, questions...
beachgirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Re: how common is getting a second opinion?

Postby val » 18 Dec 2011, 13:43

I would actually run a LONG way away from any doctor who says there is a risk of incontinence. A good surgeon will never had made anyone incontinent because they know just how much of the muscle to cut!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: how common is getting a second opinion?

Postby wecc » 19 Dec 2011, 09:13

For me beachgirl....I do not care if its common or not....I saw three different CRS….. The first one, just wanted to cut right away and preformed only about 30 LIS. He was out right away. The second was really good and spent time discussing everything with me, …the third one I found, as I know you read only now does AD’s and that is the one I am going to for all the reason I wrote about.
If you ask me, too many say oh he/she is a doctor and therefore they must know….Just like attorney and others there are good and bad…its about a comfort level and believing their the one. Sound like I’m picking out a wife :D Hey it my body and you better believe I am going to do my research
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9