Had a rough night..

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Had a rough night..

Postby Jenbug » 20 Dec 2011, 09:57

Last night was horrible. I was in so much pain that I was crying and could barely move around. I mentioned making another appointment with the surgeon that had told me I needed surgery, but my husband balked at the idea and flat out told me no. He said I should trust the gastroentrologist that told me it was just scar tissue. But at the same time, he's starting to believe I'm actually in pain and he's upset that he can't do anything.
This is just so incredibly frustrating and I'm confused why this is happening. All I had was food poisoning. I'm so angry and depressed and I just want my life back.
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Topics: 23

Re: Had a rough night..

Postby Deleted User 579 » 20 Dec 2011, 12:03

Aw, Jenbug, I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time! I replied to your other post in the surgery thread. I had a fistulotomy in late June and I'm doing great. My story is a bit similar to yours. I caught a nasty flu that caused violent diarrhea, which in turn caused a fissure. The worst pain in the world!!! Image I had surgery for the fissure in May, which really helped, but as a complication of the surgery, I developed a small abscess, which then developed into a low, superficial fistula. Image But, as I said, I had a simple surgery and now everything is sooooooo much better. :D
I definitely understand your frustration! There is nothing like butt pain and very few people understand it. :( I really believe that you should talk to your surgeon. GI docs are great, but they don't always specialize in these kinds of things. Colorectal surgeons (CRSs) deal with fissures and fistulas all the time (these things are actually very common).
Your surgeon is the best person to determine whether what you have is a fistula or scar tissue. If it's a fistula, then surgery is the only way to fix it, as long as the fistula was not caused by an underlying condition, like crohns or ulcerative colitis. (I haven't heard of any effective non-surgical treatment for simple fistulas, I'm sorry to say.) Your surgeon and your GI can give you tests that will rule those conditions out, if they think there are reasons to suspect them.
About 50% of abscesses eventually form fistulas - and there is really no way to know what will make the fistula form, it's really a matter of luck. If your fistula was caused by the abscess from the the food poisoning, and if it is low and superficial (which it probably is), you will likely be told that you need to get a fistulotomy. This is a pretty simple surgery where the doc 'deroofs' the fistula so that the wound can heal from the inside out. It sounds horrifying - I know! I cried loudly when I had to do it. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be and it gave me my life back. I have no pain now and I'm living my life again.
I really do understand your pain and frustration. I was there myself not too long ago. Vent here all you want and ask any questions you want. There are lots of great people here who can offer solid advice and wonderful moral support. I hope some of the information I gave helps you. I know this is a scary thing, but there really is hope. You definitely can get your life back! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Jenbug » 20 Dec 2011, 13:01

I actually doubt that I have a fistula, maybe just an internal fissure? Because if it was a fistula, not to be crude, but wouldn't other things be coming out of the wound than just sebeous fluid?
Also, from what I understand, a fistula is painless for the most part. This is agonizing. It feels like something is ripping me open on the inside some nights.
The area that I live only has a handful of surgeons and the one that I saw, he was very pushy and arrogant and I felt less than comfortable with him. But I think if things don't get better, he's the one I'll be stuck with.
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Postby jayneg » 20 Dec 2011, 16:11

Hi there im so sorry to hear about your troubles and discomfort its a horrid thing to deal with ! I honestly dont know how much more i can take im getting referred in January , i just cant believe a fissure can cause so much burning and discomfort . This site helps doesnt it to know we are not alone. The only time im pain free is first thing in a morning then have a BM and pain discomfort burning all day till i sleep . Hugs to you .
jayneg

Topics: 1

Postby Jenbug » 20 Dec 2011, 20:22

I can totally relate. I've been practically living in my bathtub since this whole ordeal started. I thought about buying some 80's tub toys, like the ones that change color..you know..for tub decoration. Maybe move a bookcase in there...
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Postby dwarfs8 » 22 Dec 2011, 03:27

Jenbug wrote:Last night was horrible. I was in so much pain that I was crying and could barely move around. I mentioned making another appointment with the surgeon that had told me I needed surgery, but my husband balked at the idea and flat out told me no. He said I should trust the gastroentrologist that told me it was just scar tissue. But at the same time, he's starting to believe I'm actually in pain and he's upset that he can't do anything.
This is just so incredibly frustrating and I'm confused why this is happening. All I had was food poisoning. I'm so angry and depressed and I just want my life back.

hi Jen, how i wish u are staying in singapore and i could intro my CRS to you! U probably shld let a CRS decide what's causing your pain... IMO, surgery is the last resort if you've failed all conservative treatments...
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19