Lis Update - day numero uno :)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Lis Update - day numero uno :)

Postby JR » 21 Dec 2011, 10:56

Okay day one.
My BM was a little difficult but nothing major, I actually had two and the second one was by far the better one today. Im not in too much pain down there and im off the Vicodin ( gives me a swirling stomach of nausea, and chills) so I stopped those last night just going to stick it out like the old fissure days. I did have a question for you boardies though.
In regards to infection and all, how should or can I avoid this. Is just sitz baths okay with some type of additive(antibacterial body wash)? also wiping, how the heck do you guys manage to do that?? Its sore as anything down there I tried but ended up just washing off in the shower.
JR
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: Lis Update - day numero uno :)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Dec 2011, 11:48

Hey JR - I'm not sure about the antibacterial wash. My instincts would tell me not to mess with the natural ph balance of the area, but maybe others can chime in - or perhaps you can call your docs office to find out what they think. As for the wiping issue - lots of us did what you are doing, that is, just washing with a shower wand. I also used baby wipes that I soaked in warm water. I didn't actully wipe, though. Instead I just gently dabbed the butt clean.
I'm so glad the first BM went well and that you don't need the big gun painkillers. It should only get better from here! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby JR » 21 Dec 2011, 15:02

Thanks hope!! yeah I wasn't sure about the antibacterial wash either. I guess no sense to mess with a good thing already. Just trying to be over cautious I suppose.

How long do you think till I can be moderately active. not hiking or anything like that LOL but normal activities like sitting down? Image
and I notice not many who post actually ask how the other boardie is doing. how are you fairing up there hope???
JR
Salt Bather

Postby Sue1962 » 22 Dec 2011, 06:35

So glad to hear you are doing well. I would just use the shower wand after BM and soak in the tub when all is clean. Also, that is what I am afraid of, post op. I don't do well with any pain killers!!! make me very nauseous and who wants to be sick with a sore butt. So on the scale of 1-10 what is your pain without the pain med. I am thinking for 3 years at times I have been in severe pain for many hours and days at a time, hoping I can bite the bullet and not take anything, maybe just ibuprofen. Also, was the first BM terrifying or what?? Thats the main thing I am worried about I am so worried of seeing just tons of blood in the bowl and would probably faint lol...Sheesh just wish this was over and healed!!! as my surgery day gets closer, I get more anxious by the minute.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby JR » 22 Dec 2011, 07:56

thank you sue,
to be honest with you, if it were me I would just take the pain meds they give you at the center/hospital/outpatient whatever it may be and dont worry too much unless you cant handle then pain. It honestly isn't worse than fissure pain but is a different feeling so it may be a shock.
I wouldn't really worry about the first BM take your stool softeners and or miralax whatever you fair best with and just let it loose, there will be blood in the toilet but dont worry its just from the incision and should be expected surprisingly I dont get anymore blood in the toilet after my first BM but do get a little blood when I dab it clean like hope had said. The second day is better than the first and the third is better than the second. I wouldn't worry in the least, everything will be fine.
whens your surgery??
JR
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 22 Dec 2011, 08:42

Great advice, JR! Hey Sue - try not to worry too much. JR's right that the pain isn't any worse than the fissure pain, and for some of us the different kind of pain is easier to handle than the fissure pain. For those of us who had really horrible fissure pain, the surgery was a huge relief. When I went off the Percocet, I resumed my Ibuprofen+Robaxacet routine that I had been on when I had my fissure. That took good care of the pain, and I didn't need nearly as much of it as I did during the fissure.
JR - I was able to do more normal things (like sit down!) after the first week. But I started off slowly, like sitting for maybe 15 minutes to 1/2 hour max at a time. By the second week I could sit for longer periods. I could go for gentle walks after the first week too, and then I just gradually went a bit further each day so that by end of week two I was almost back to normal as far as normal walking goes. Mind you, I had to go slow because I had lost so much weight during my fissure days that I was weak and malnurished on top of everything else! (I'm still getting vitamin B shots.)
Thanks for asking how I'm doing :D I'm happy to say that I'm doing great! After two butt surgeries and being alarmingly thin and sickly, I'm almost completely back. Image My hubby's doing a great job of fattening me up - Oh it is so nice to be able to eat nice food finally. I'm definitely proof that tasty food can be part of your life again! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Sue1962 » 23 Dec 2011, 07:18

Hey JR and Hope, thanks for the reassuring words!! Image My surgery is on 1/09/12. I am traveling almost 2 hours to have it done!!! as the days grow shorter, my nerves do too....LOL. I know anxiety is all part of this. I am ready though, 3 years of pain compared to a week or two sounds good to me and I am ready to be on the other side of this. I have been taking Miralax for about 2 weeks and really got my BM under control and it has been the best 2 weeks in a long time what a miracle that stuff is. Will def continue after surgery!! I actually ate pretty bad yesterday with Christmas parties and all, and no problem this morning Image I was a little nervous. So, I know I have to do this, just a little worried about the first couple of days. This forum has saved my sanity!!! I felt so alone in my pain until I found all of you. I read and read and read asked questions and vented and didn't feel so alone anymore. I will be thinking of all of you when I am being put under and know when I wake, I will be on my way to normal again!!!! Somehow, I managed to put a smile on my face everyday at work no matter the pain and exhaustion. I am a nurse, and deal with people in pain everyday and I truely understand being in pain and just talking to people, it is amazing how many people have had this!!! I got over the embarrasment a long time ago, everyone is tired of hearing about my sore ass...LOL and can't wait for me to have surgery!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 Dec 2011, 08:42

Aw, Sue - you've been so brave for so long, taking care of other people while you are in so much pain (nurses rock!). I'm so glad you will be able to put this behind you (so to speak! Image ) very soon. This forum saved my sanity too - especially because nobody here seem to get tired of me talking about my ass! Image Anxiety is definitely natural and I don't know that it's possible not to have a at least a little bit of it. But you're going into the surgery with a great attitude and I'm convinced that makes a bit difference. We are also looking forward to your surgery and your pain-free life that will follow! :D
Deleted User 579