My surgery experience so far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My surgery experience so far

Postby ra147047 » 22 Dec 2011, 12:41

Hello everyone! I've been browsing these forums for months and have appreciated everyone's contributions immensely. I apologize in advance for the length of the post, but I know when I was reading on here, I really appreciated specifics, so i'll try to be as specific as possible! Because of all of you, I gained the courage to finally have a Lateral internal sphincterectomy (LIS), fissurectomy, fistulectomy, and anoplasty.
***BACKGROUND***
I am a 20 year old male who has been suffering with a fissure for about 7 months. I saw 4 doctors, starting with a family practitioner who told me it was a combination of hemorrhoids and a fissure. First, I was prescribed a Cortisol cream which didn't help at all. Then I was given suppositories which clearly hurt like hell so I stopped using them fairly quickly. I sat on donuts, took sitz baths, and kept the area clean. In August, I finally decided to go to a Gastroenterologist who prescribed me 2 different antibiotics for 2 weeks and a nitroglycerin 1% cream for 3 weeks. Nothing helped. I went back to this doctor over Thanksgiving break who suggested that I have a colonoscopy to rule out the possibility of Chrons disease. After going home and researching further, I decided that this couldn't possibly be the case and did not want to be subjected to the pain before and after a colonoscopy. The gastroenterologist referred me to a Colon Rectal Surgeon (CRS) who I met with a week ago from today (last Thursday) on the way home from the airport at the start of my Christmas break. He examined me with a camera and told me that I do not have Chron's disease, and the only way this was going to be fixed was with surgery. This was the first doctor I went to that I left the office feeling confident. He said he sees this everyday.
***POST SURGERY***
I ended up having the LIS, fissurectomy, fistulectomy, and anoplasty yesterday at 2:00 PM. The anesthesiologist said I would feel numb until about 4 or 5 in the afternoon which was a relief. The procedure was very quick and I was prescribed hydrocodine with a recommended dosage of 1-2 capsules. At 3:00 they gave me my first pain pill, and I took another one later that night at 7, and 11 before I went to bed. I took the small end of the dose to avoid constipation, and really didn't need anymore. During the next few weeks I am 100% dedicated to eating healthy, drinking plenty of fluids, taking baths, and keeping it clean. I turn 21 in 6 days and will be going to Vegas so I want to be feeling as good as I can so I can enjoy my first taste of alcohol *wink wink* hahaha. I slept great last night and didn't really feel any pain until about 3:00 AM. Even that pain was tolerable especially knowing it was pain on the road to recovery. I took another hydrocodine in the middle of the night and within 20 minutes was back to ZERO pain and fell asleep until about 7:30 this morning. I woke up, had a healthy veggie/egg omelet, continued my Phillips Milk of Magnesia/stool softener, had a couple cups of coffee, took ibuprofen AND tylenol, and had my first bowel movement!! I was pretty anxious about my first bowel movement, but it really wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. I took a hot shower before hand to loosen it up down there, and the pain was no worse than pre-surgery. I took a bath afterwards to clean the area which definitely soothed it. When I got out I was in minimal pain and still am at 11:30 AM. I can walk around with no problems. However, when I'm resting I prefer to lay on my side. Sitting up doesn't hurt but it is a little uncomfortable. I'm praying I'm feeling pretty good for my Birthday, but am amazed and so grateful for the lack of pain that I am in now. To anyone suffering with a fissure, I would highly suggest going to the CRS. I wish I had done this 6 months ago. I will keep you posted on my recovery, and my wishes are with all of you suffering like I was. Don't be embarassed or wait to seek help! It hasn't even been 24 hours and I'm already optimistic and thrilled that I proceeded with the surgery. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!
ra147047
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: My surgery experience so far

Postby JR » 22 Dec 2011, 12:53

first off let me congratulate you on being on the other side of the fence Image
WOW I cant believe you had so much done. But hey, once a trooper, always a trooper. I had LIS done about two days ago and boy do I wish I did it sooner like you im young as well. Well im actually younger (18). Im glad you got everything taken care of and your road to recovery started not a day later. take it easy and post another update if you can.
JR
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby ra147047 » 22 Dec 2011, 12:57

Let me congratulate you as well! It makes me so happy to hear that you're doing great as well. I just wish I did it sooner. How are you feeling on day 2? Let me know when you can sit comfortably. I'll be posting updates frequently!
ra147047
Fibre Addict

Postby JR » 22 Dec 2011, 13:22

To be honest with you I havent even tried sitting ill give it a go right now...... no pain!! but come to think of it I sat in the car on the way home haha. Three times I got a weird sensation if I walk to much or maybe if too much moisture gets down there because it feels like ping(almost as if you dab alchol on a cut but not as severe) I dont know how to really explain but it goes as quick as it comes. Other than that im great. BM are better than they ever been. The only draw back for me right now is I can't do anything but lay down for now. I like my side the best too. Laying on my stomach isn't something I like doing all day. All in all im happy I had the surgery done. I feel way more optimistic about my Christmas and new years than I did before.
JR
Salt Bather

Postby ra147047 » 22 Dec 2011, 22:23

The car ride home wasn't bad for me at all! Yeah, i know exactly how you feel. I've been stuck at the house just gettin up to walk around a bit and get food/water. I've been playing lots of modern warfare 3 on xbox hahaha. I hope you have a great Christmas and New Years.
***Update***
Last night I took the recommended dosage of milk of magnesia and took another dosage this morning (per instructions from my doctor) but I think it may have been too much. I've had 4 bowel movements today and they've been pretty watery for the most part but they haven't hurt at all. Following each bowel movement, I wipe with Prep H wipes, take a hot shower/bath with Cetaphil soap, pat dry, and put in a gauze because there is still some minor bleeding. After this routine, I feel great and have no pain. I just ate a sandwich and tried adding a little bit more fat into my diet to try to get some substance to my bowel movements. I'll let you know how this works!
ra147047
Fibre Addict

Postby JR » 23 Dec 2011, 10:06

Good idea, I think my 360 is calling my name.
As for you adding more substance how did that go??
I want to but cant seem to get off the soups and stuff.
I need to start gaining more weight though im basically a stick at this point.
JR
Salt Bather

Postby ra147047 » 23 Dec 2011, 10:28

Just laid down for some mw3 if you have it and want to play !
Adding more substance went pretty good actually. I slept great last night. Woke up this morning at 7:30 in pain, but I think it's because I slept so I got a little behind on ibuprofen/tylenol. I had a soft but not watery bowel movement this morning and then did my bath routine and am feeling a little bit better. If I'm still feeling this way in a few hours, perhaps I'll go a round of the hydrocodine instead of the OTC pain meds.
I feel like a stick too! If you have the ingredients, veggie omelets have been tasting pretty good and have some substance. Tomorrow is my extended family's Christmas dinner...Hopefully I can sit at the table. Are you able to sit yet?
ra147047
Fibre Addict

Postby ra147047 » 26 Dec 2011, 12:43

***UPDATE***
Day 3 after surgery was by far my worst day. I had a whole day with my extended family on Christmas Eve. I took it pretty easy and laid down most of the day, ate on the couch...etc. However, getting up and moving around was probably more than I was up for. I had more bleeding that night after a bowel movement than I've had yet. However, the next morning I was feeling pretty good again and took it very easy yesterday and rested. Last night (end of day 4) I slept through the night without taking any type of pain killer and feel fantastic this morning and still haven't taken any pain killers. I sat up for about 20 minutes this morning which was 20 minutes more than I had before this morning. Today I'm very optimistic in my recovery and feel like I've turned a corner. Bowel movements are still a little painful, but with a good shower or bath afterwards I feel great again within minutes. I still have some minor bleeding when I check the gauze, but I'm hoping that goes away soon. I am going to Vegas on Wednesday for my 21st birthday, so I'm hoping I'll be doing even better then. I would suggest to anyone post surgery to listen to their body and rest more when you think you need it. I'll post again after my trip!
ra147047
Fibre Addict