Salt: Friend or Foe?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Salt: Friend or Foe?

Postby beachgirl » 22 Dec 2011, 20:34

I make up a gallon of water every day so i can keep tabs on how much i am drinking. or maybe it's a quart. I don't know. I just keep doing my best to drink as much as i can.
anyway i add a little lemon and salt. it makes it taste much better and a friend who is a holistic diet practitioner told me this is more hydrating.
i got to wondering though, since i love salt. Is it good for you... like an antiseptic? or bad ... like salt in a wound? i've never seen it discussed.... other than using salt in baths which seems to be highly recommended. but that's more external.
thanks!
ps my blood pressure is fine so i am just worried about pain, spasms and healing an AF.
beachgirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Re: Salt: Friend or Foe?

Postby dwarfs8 » 26 Dec 2011, 03:57

salt is only antiseptic when it's applied on a wound i think. BUT PLS DON"T EVER DO THAT ON YOUR FISSURE. I ever at my wits end, i put it on my fissure and i SCREAMED AT THE TOP OF MY VOICE AND THEN I RUSHED TO THE TOILET TO WASH IT OFF.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Re: Salt: Friend or Foe?

Postby workingonit » 27 Jan 2012, 22:06

I think a little extra salt is good if the weather is hot, because you loose a lot of salt through sweat. But I doubt it helps to add salt to water in the winter.
Adding lemon to water is good for your body's PH balance.
I used to go through a lemon every other day doing that, but my doc said to stay away from citrus. Not entirely sure why. He said something about grapefruit interfering with some medications...
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34