Fistula surgery recovery question

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fistula surgery recovery question

Postby ravi » 26 Dec 2011, 16:29

Had a lis + fistulotomy + colonoscopy last Thursday. I was told that pain subsides in 2 days and will not require pain killers after that. Its been 4 days and pain has become worse after 3rd day. No bleeding or anything like that but just hurts. Feels better when I take percocet but the effect lasts for 2 hours at the most.
Can any one share thier recovery story with me so I know if this is normal or need to go to the CRS immediately.
ravi
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Fistula surgery recovery question

Postby Deleted User 579 » 27 Dec 2011, 08:45

Hey Ravi - I'm so sorry you are still having pain. Image
I think that your surgeon was overly optimistic when s/he told you that the pain would subside in 2 days. Surgeons tend to significantly underestimate recovery time, and 2 days is definitely WAY too short a period of time to be pain-free, as many of us here learned. You also had quite a bit done, so that will definitely influence the recovery process. I had an LIS and a fistulotomy, but not at the same time! For me, each surgery required about a week for the pain to subside, and two weeks before I felt like I could very gently ease back into an almost normal routine. Also, recovery is definitely up and down. I'm not sure why, but it's not uncommon to have a few good days, and then a more painful day, out of the blue. Things started to stabilize for me by the end of week two, and then there were many more good days than bad until gradulally there were no more painful days (just the odd uncomforatable day) by about three weeks to one month post-op. The pain levels also reduce quite a bit on the bad days too. It's still very early in the game for you, so I don't think you should worry too much just yet, especially with all that you had done.
That said, please remember that you know your body better than anyone else, so you should trust your instincts. If you think that the pain merits a trip to the doc, or a phone call, then definitely do it.
Adam, Summergal and I all had fistulotomies at about the same time. I found our posts, which I've pasted below. Hopefully they will help you get a sense of what recovery was like for us:
My fistula surgery:
http://anal-fissure.org/t3110-there-is-such-a-thing-as-a-good-surgery-experience
Adam’s fistula surgery:
http://anal-fissure.org/t3141-wow-just-found-out-i-had-an-abcess-and-fistula-and-had-surg
Summergal’s fistula surgery:
http://anal-fissure.org/t3247-good-luck-tomorrow-summergal
I hope these posts help and that you feel better today. :)
Deleted User 579

Postby ravi » 28 Dec 2011, 18:06

Thank you for the wonderful information. I think crs do not give much consideration for pain. They told me that feel free to take 2 percocets and 600 mg Morton after 2 hrs to be pain free. These many meds make me feel nauciated and hence they gave me meds for nausea as well.
Yesterday night I braved the pain and did not take pain killers so had a good Bm this morning. It still hurts but there is not much urge for bms. I ended up taking time off for the rest of the year...
ravi
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 Dec 2011, 09:15

I'm so glad you found the information useful. :D You are so right that surgeons really don't consider pain very much. The heavy narcotics made me pretty woozy too, and I was happy when I could switch to the Robaxacet and Ibuprofen. It sounds like your pain is diminishing a bit now - I'm so glad if that's the case. It does get better, but it is really hard to be patient with these things!
I'm so glad you can take the rest of the year off - your poor butt has really been through a lot and deserves some TLC. :D
Deleted User 579