Does pain relief indicate healing? (GTN)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Does pain relief indicate healing? (GTN)

Postby Davo » 30 Dec 2011, 11:20

Hi,
I am 4 weeks into my course of GTN (Nitro) and my pain level has gone from being severe in week one to almost complete pain relief at week four. However looking in the mirror I can still see the bugger looking back at me!!!
My CRS told me that I must complete the full 6 week GTN course regardless of whether I thought the fissure had healed or not.
So has anyone heard of GTN (Nitro) giving complete pain relief and not healing the fissure or do you think i may just be part way through the healing cycle?
Davo

Topics: 42

Re: Does pain relief indicate healing? (GTN)

Postby Guest » 30 Dec 2011, 12:11

Hey Davo,
If you aren't having any pain then I'd say you are definitely headed in the right direction. It is very possible that you are healing.
I never had pain free results using the Diltiazem. It helped some but I was never completely spasm or pain free so I would say that's a good sign for you. Keep up everything you are doing and hopefully things will continue to heal. Cherylk (another boardie) healed with the cream so it is definitely possible you are to!

Postby dwarfs8 » 31 Dec 2011, 07:54

i use GTN in the past and it never gave me full relief from the pain at all. I only get full relief when my fissure is ALMOST healed. So.. yes, do complete the 8 weeks GTN, and also continue with ur fissure diet, it takes me 8 months to almost healed mine with aloe vera, sitz bath and fissure-friendly diet.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Davo » 01 Jan 2012, 16:26

Thanks for the info - i am really hoping that the pain relief is indicating that the healing process is underway.
However I messed things up last night by having too much to drink whilst celebrating New Year. This morning I experienced a small amount of pain again so it's an alcohol ban for me now :(
Davo

Postby Davo » 09 Jan 2012, 05:55

After my brief hiccup on New Years Eve my pain has gradually reduced again. The CRS told me that if the condition had not improved after six weeks to go back and he will arrange for Botox injections.
Six weeks is this coming Friday and the pain score today is around 1.5. I am wondering whether i should stay on the GTN for an additional 2 weeks and give it one last chance to heal or do you think i would be best just going back and moving on to the Botox?
Davo

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 09 Jan 2012, 15:26

Hi, Davo -
It really sounds like you're headed toward healing - and one thing I've learned about these AFs, is that they can take a long while to heal, sometimes.
I decided to not see my crs tomorrow - and I instead rescheduled my appt. in about 10 days. That should give me a little more time to heal and to assess my situation.
A conservative approach couldn't hurt - but diet, time, (and anything else that can help) has to strictly be adhered to, IMO.
I think the length of the healing is very, very trying on one's life - but I'm trying to stay the course.
Last edited by Sweet Bugaboo on 09 Jan 2012, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misspelling
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11