New skin or Liquid Bandage

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

New skin or Liquid Bandage

Postby Tim » 04 Jan 2012, 10:54

Hey all. Anyone ever have or thought to try liquid bandage to help heal the fissure? Essentially, it would work like a barrier for protection so the cells could rebuild vs. fighting off bacteria and infection which is really what slows the process down. Mine starts just inside and goes up so I'm concerned about using it but I'll try anything.
Thoughts? Concerns?
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: New skin or Liquid Bandage

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 04 Jan 2012, 12:06

Not to be a pessimist, but if it worked, I think that it would be employed by CRSs. While Dermabond is sometimes used to close surgical incisions and superficial wounds, the issue with healing the fissure is that the muscle is required to continually work; therefore, making it extremely hard to heal. According to my CRS, even when traditional sutures are used to close an LIS incision, they almost always end up getting pulled apart.
Another thing to consider; Dermabond burns like heck! Last year, I had a very irregular laceration across my eyebrow/forehead and the ER doctor opted to use Dermabond, WOW! It worked great at closing the wound in an area with little muscle/movement but it was intense for about 10-15 minutes, so I can only imagine what it would feel like applied to a fissure; essentially in the most sensitive area of the body.
As for infection, the best thing to do is try to keep the area clean and dry. Sitz baths (will cleanse and promote healing by increasing blood flow to the area) and post BM cleansing with warm water applied to cotton.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Tim » 04 Jan 2012, 12:55

I agree with you but I'm thinking of using it as a barrier after a BM/cleaning. With an internal fissure, like mine, sitz baths and cotton buds do very little to help get it all out. Also, keeping the area dry "inside" is nearly impossible. The area is used to being moist and moist areas have been clinically proven to heal faster (a.k.a. your mouth etc.) It's really the bacteria and repeated use of the area that slows the healing. If I can beat the bacteria with the liquid bandage, it's half the battle. If you have a fissure on the anal verge (outside) sitz baths etc. help. I still take a 5-10 minute one after a BM but not multiple times daily. I'm 3+ months post LIS so this is just a measure to heal faster. Aside from using a zinc cream or calmoseptine as the barrier, I figured the liquid bandage would work just as well and longer. It would need to be re-applied daily obviously. They do make a "non-stinging" version now. I've read on the web where some people had great luck with this.
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Girraphne » 10 Aug 2022, 11:53

Tim, did you try it? What happened? My exhusband, who is also a nurse suggested that I try it, but I'm really worried that it will cause more issues. ie-The edges of it may lead to more fissures, it may not dry completely before my muscle involuntarily moves, the sting, etc.
Jan 2022 - fissure diagnosed, dr said it looked like it was superficial and almost healed.
July 2022- got constipated while traveling, retear.
Working on a diet and bathroom regimen to help healing. Using nifedipine/lidocaine cream and a&d ointment.
Girraphne
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1