newbie AF sufferer...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

newbie AF sufferer...

Postby pat123 » 13 Jan 2012, 17:10

Hey y'all...
I'm pat, male, 55, newbie to the forum. Never thought much about the anal area for 54 years... that's all changed. Had a chronic case of AF for a couple of months, nothing terribly painful and the doctors are already talking surgery. Yikes! I'm going to try as many non surgical options as possible, however.
I have to say that I've found more useful information browsing on this forum in 10 minutes than on WebMD, and all the other medical sites combined. Certainly more information that I got from my doctor.
Bless you all... keep it coming. You're a godsend.
Take care everyone!!
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: newbie AF sufferer...

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 13 Jan 2012, 17:15

Hi, pat -
We truly feel your pain.
My AF came back this past Oct., after healing 3 1/2 yrs. ago. So, I've been in misery and agony for the past 3 months now.
I'll see my crs next week. I do not want surgery - but I'll see what he says.
It's just nice to be able to talk to fellow AF sufferers, because this is a rough road to travel.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Guest » 13 Jan 2012, 17:45

Just wanted to say Welcome! Sorry you have to be here but you're right, there's a wealth of information here. I found this place a few months before my LIS. It was a God-send. I couldn't have done it without the support and information I found here.
Take care, good luck!

Postby grannymaria » 13 Jan 2012, 18:16

Welcome here Pat - I'm new also n I have found the people here so helpful n a big blessing to me. Read posts here n u will learn as I have been learning in this painful quest. God bless all members here
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sue1962 » 13 Jan 2012, 21:08

Welcome Pat and I agree with Dawn, there is so much more info on here than anywhere else on the internet!! And we are not case studies, but real people that have had LIS, tag removal, fissurectomy, dialation...Read the threads. This forum saved my sanity and gave me the courage to have LIS. I don't know how I would have made it without it. I suffered for 3 years on/off with the past 8 months being the worst. I hope you feel better soon!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Jan 2012, 09:24

Welcome Pat. I too am a noob to this forum, but as everyone has mentioned there is so much info here, and tons of support as well. I'm quite happy to hear that you have not had the glaring, debilitating pain that some of us have gone through with this. This is my second go-around, the first being about this same time last year. Good luck to you. If the pain is not too bad, you may want to try some of the methods others have used to avoid surgery.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby workingonit » 14 Jan 2012, 11:23

Hi Pat,
My fissure isn't as painful as what others here describe either. I think it is because I don't have muscle spasms (touch wood). But it is still frightening, that it will be a long lasting thing and I will never eat 'normally' again, or ride my bike again. If that is the case though, I would gladly give up those things to be fully healed (well I would like to drink coffee again!).
My mother had a chronic fissure a year and a half ago, and slowly healed by adding fibre to her diet and using a hydrocortizone cream with praximine. She feels fully healed and says the secret is to eat 30g of fibre/ day (she is religious with fibre), drink lots of fluids so you don't have to push at all when you have a BM.
My doc says to try the conservative measures for several months. He hasn't even mentioned the next step, which I found heartening. Perhaps you should get a second opinion? Easier said than done these days with all the wait times, I know.
Anyways, welcome to the forum!
-Tanya
p.s. if you need more fibre, start increasing fibre slowly, or you could make matters worse and increase water with the fibre.
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Jan 2012, 12:16

woi -
Did your mother have spasms? I have them - and it's enough to drive a person nuts. I finally had to take a Xanax last night, just to go to sleep.
It's heartening that your doc says to try conservative measures for several months. I'm on three months with this fissure, and I'm still sore down below, especially after a BM, which I am carefully trying to manage.
This morning, before my BM, I felt almost okay. Darn it!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby workingonit » 14 Jan 2012, 12:38

Hey Sweet,
Glad you are feeling better this morning, perhaps because of a good nights sleep?
I know the anxiety is wrecking my sleep again. I get bad dreams and wake up too early.
Meditation helps.
Just as a side note, be very careful with the Xanax. I spent most of last year recovering from just two weeks on Ativan. Try not to take it two days in a row, and keep an eye on your depression levels. It can sneak up on you.
My mom didn't get spasms and only hurt when she had a BM, but I think the pramoxine numbed some of the discomfort for her.
She's one tough cookie, my mom. Don't know what I'd do without her.
why don't you look into meditation as a way to relax?
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Jan 2012, 13:06

Hi, woi -
Yes, I know that Xanax can be addictive. I rarely take it, but last night the spasms were awful.
I was okay this morning, UNTIL I had my BM, which wasn't bothersome - but then I started to feel sore.
It's at the point now, that when I feel some soreness below, it really throws me into anxiety. Darn, I just want this to go away!! I want my rump AND my life back - but so far, t'aint happening.
One of my crs prescribed that hydrocortisone cream for me, and it tends to burn. I just put on the nitro - and it's not really helping, either.
And to think I was jogging and feeling pretty darn good, until last mid-October . . .
Yes - meditating is something I'll explore. I also read the Bible and pray alot.
For the past several weeks, I've pretty much stayed inside the house, trying to cope with this and trying to rest my bottom, in the hopes that it will heal. --- Today I have an appt. to get my hair done - it really needs it, but I'm absolutely forcing myself to go. I have alot of anxiety about it, so my husband is going to drive me.
I'm thinking that if I force myself to get out, maybe it will help me. Not sure about that, because of the car ride.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure