3 Months (14 Weeks Tomorrow) Post-LIS - M.O.M.?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 Months (14 Weeks Tomorrow) Post-LIS - M.O.M.?

Postby queenofpain » 23 Jan 2012, 14:48

Just an update on my post-LIS recovery. I was posting about all the post-op pain (spasm?) I was experiencing for 8.5 weeks. Since the 8 1/2 week mark, the situation has much improved, with much lighter or no pain, or a few borderline days. I write this to encourage others who are experiencing weeks of bad pain during recovery. I had a visit to the CRS today, and he feels the surgical site is closed now (he didn't do an internal exam, and I think it's still healing because of minor pain and light occasional bleeding). At any rate, he said I can still be on Milk of Magnesia, but restated that it's habit-forming. My question is, has anyone been on M.O.M. for a year or more post-op? I think it's too early for me to transition to Miralax, given all the post-op pain I've had.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: 3 Months (14 Weeks Tomorrow) Post-LIS - M.O.M.?

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 15:17

queen - I haven't had the LIS (yet), but I'm wondering what the difference is (the effects of, I mean) between M.O.M and Miralax?
Is one stronger than the other, or gentler?
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby queenofpain » 23 Jan 2012, 15:23

S.B.,
My understanding is that M.O.M. is more of a stimulant (not as bad as others, though), and can be habit-forming, and Miralax is not habit-forming. The latter just functions to draw water into the stools to soften them, and can be used indefinitely. M.O.M. seems to work better for me, i.e., produce more watery stools, and that's why I prefer it when I'm in pain, or now, being post-op. I just can't take any risks of further injury.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 15:25

That's good to know, being that I'm battling with all this AF stuff right now.
Did your crs readily perform your surgery, or did you have to try "conservative" methods, first, before he'd do your LIS?
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby queenofpain » 23 Jan 2012, 15:36

My first CRS wanted me to try natural, grain-based products like Metamucil, and was upset that I began to try OTC medicines. I wanted to go the natural route, too, but grain-based products made my stools SO hard, in spite of all the water I was consuming. He then dismissed me because I wouldn't go the Metamucil route (I was shocked - he is a CRS!). About a year after finishing with him, I found the CRS I now am seeing. He totally understood about grain-based products, and approved Miralax and even M.O.M. (if I didn't use it exclusively). He's much more understanding and laid-back, and has about 40 years experience. He had me try creams (nifedipine and nitroglycerine), but pointed out that he had never seen a sphincter as tight as mine. He believed I would, thus, end up in surgery someday. To make a long story short, I opted for surgery last October. I think he was hinting all along that I should have surgery, but let it be my call. As he put it, "You're the one in pain." So, to answer your question, I'm sure I could easily have had surgery much sooner (I waited 5 years.) Even though my fissures (2) apparently healed, I was still battling pain (scar tissue and spasm?).
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 16:08

queen, that's just it with me, too.
My 2nd crs said my AFs are 1mm in size. There are two of them . . . but even though they're tiny, the pain and throbbing and soreness they bring is just awful. I sure hope this crs will agree to do something about this, rather than make me wait. He's a military doc, too (I just found that out), and he's some sort of officer in the Air Force. So, he has a rather imposing manner, even though he's been nice. I find myself rather intimidated by him, but I'm going to face him again next week, and I hope he's understand and listens.
I'll be seeing a 3rd crs this Thursday. I'm hoping that this guy will be receptive, as far as not assuming this is a minor issue - so, I sure hope that visit goes well.
It's good to read about LIS success stories. Thank you for posting yours.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby queenofpain » 23 Jan 2012, 16:29

CRss can be intimidating. My aunt is a nurse, and said surgeons of any type think they're God. I'm sure that's an exaggeration; there are nice ones, too. I try not to get them angry. It's a shame we don't feel free to contradict them. After all, we're the ones in pain, and best acquainted with our own situations.
It makes sense that your AFs are small yet painful. My CRS said you can have a large one that doesn't bother you, or a small one that's painful. Maybe it depends on the nerve fibers in the area. I hope things go well with your next visit, and your 3rd CRS.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 16:38

Thank you, queen -
I'm just trying to sort this all out. I'm a little intimidated by the surgery, but then I'm desperate to be better - so, I'm just about ready for whatever it takes to get me there.
I'm not even sure this doc (2nd crs) will do the surgery. He might just get mad and refuse, for all I know.
I guess I'll just have to see what the 3rd crs says.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Morningstar » 24 Jan 2012, 11:17

Thanks queenofpain, I am at about 6 weeks mark and I am still having pain when sitting for about 2 hours or when in bed. Your post is the one that gives me most hope that one day I will just wake up and my pain will be suddenly gone :)!
Thanks
Morningstar
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Savaici » 24 Jan 2012, 12:05

I use metamucil and MOM. I don't use much of either, but the MOM I have been using for five years. I could not stop, and have tried changing to mirilax, but it was not right for me. I use the cookie type of metamucil, cinnamon flavour, and drink water, but not excessive amounts. As they say on the Mayo Clinic site, 'if your urine is light colored, you are drinking enough'. I find when I drink too much, I have difficulty in having a BM.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222