Could stress be a factor?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Could stress be a factor?

Postby Anemone » 12 Feb 2012, 17:35

Thanks Tanya. Will let you know....
Anemone
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby rasmith3530 » 13 Feb 2012, 00:49

Hey Tanya, thanks for the advice regarding the Klonopin. I've had to wean off stuff before, but I'll be working with the docs on that when the time comes, which I hope to be soon, as I've seen no positive change to my symptoms. I'm OK with taking meds if I need them, but right now, it's like they're poking around my mind with flashlights and throwing meds at me to try and resolve a disorder that they're clueless about. Before the anti-depressant/anti-anxiety cocktail, they had me on a round of anti-seizure meds. Those were a trip. At one point, I felt like I was back in the 1960s on LSD. We ended that experiment pretty quickly!
It's funny. After some months trying to get my A1C numbers down and my HCLs to look closer to normal, we've got something that's working. I do think I'm on the right track with my fissure as well, and tomorrow, as I begin physical therapy, we'll get to see if my back is heading in the right direction. Sadly, I don't believe that they are having any success with my mind. On that score, I do believe that the problem is organic in some way and they either don't have the knowledge or equipment to find a cause and cure.
Years ago, as a love child of the 1960s, I did a lot of my own experimentation with various psychotropic chemicals. I was a steady user of LSD and other hallucinagenic drugs for over five years. At one point, I took acid daily for one month, and due to building a tolerance, at the end, I was needing to take eight, ten or more hits of LSD to get off. As I got sober, I asked a psychiatrist what would be the long term effects, especially as I got older. He replied to me that he had no idea, that the field had no studies on long term use of these substances. He also said that for every thing modern psychiatry knew about the mind at the time (1983), there was ninety percent more they didn't know. While I was working with the second neurologist consult several months ago (almost thirty years later), I received a nearly identical answer. Both doctors, one a psychiatrist and the other a neurologist were clear to point out that modern medicine is as much an art as a science.
Of course this is why I believe we see so much variance with possible causes and solutions with our anal fissures. Something works for one person but not another. They need a different course. And then there are those poor souls who've suffered on and off for a decade or more. As much as they know, their are missing pieces to the puzzle, just like with what's going on with my head.
Anemone, I wish you much luck on the path you're taking to resolution. I hope you suffer little and heal quickly.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby workingonit » 13 Feb 2012, 09:17

Hey Ras,
I only did those psychotropic things a handful of times in my day. Never felt anything later from it. Hope it isn't that which is messing with your head. It may be one of those mysteries that is never solved. But sure hope they can find something to help, even if you don't find out the whys.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 13 Feb 2012, 09:50

As much as modern medicine thinks it knows, there is more that it doesn't, and the doctors can no more predict the long term effects of a chemical like LSD than they can the long term effects of the chemical cocktail they are giving you now (or any of us that take any meds for that matter). Studies for safety can only go so far with limited numbers of subjects and over limited amounts of time. So, all we can do is the best we can with what we have in front of us right now, make the choices that are reasonable and as informed as possible, and check in constantly with our own inner voice for direction.
Anemone... I hope the Elavil helps. If the pain is neuropathic in origin hopefully it will help the way it did with the vulvar pain.. Just watch out for constipation!
rasmith... Going through so much unknown territory, I hope there is some relief for you soon. When you have to deal with so many arrows at once it is really overwhelming. I understand that. There are days I have so many of them being fired at me at once all I can do is lie on the floor and weep. Be gentle with yourself. I tend to be very hard on myself, so the advice goes both ways. The last thing in the world we need is to fire more arrows at ourselves.
I hope everyone has a healing day today...
group hug

Postby workingonit » 13 Feb 2012, 15:30

So I posted this under the websites etc section. But I thought I'd put it here too.
Someone else here quoted the number of 40% reduction in healing rate if you are stressed all the time.
So here's a lecture by Dr. Martin Rossman (whom jr told me about) on stress and worry and some tools for how to manage it.
http://integral-options.blogspot.com/2010/10/dr-martin-rossman-coping-with-stress.html
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 13 Feb 2012, 20:51

really enjoyed listening to this lecture, Tanya... Thanks for posting the link. I really like Dr. Rossman's CDs on guided imagery and find a lot of his techniques really helpful.

Postby rasmith3530 » 13 Feb 2012, 23:06

Thanks so much again guys. There are three main symptoms to my neuro issue. First is the left hand tremor, which now after six or seven months is now beginning to spread to the other hand. Second is that after I get about a page or so into reading something, although I can still mouth the words, I begin losing comprehension capability. Lastly, I experience what I used to describe as getting lost. After discussing it with a friend of mine, I came to the realization that what I experience is nearly identical to what when I was drinking, I used to describe as a blackout. Of course, the issue with this is that I am 28 years clean and sober, and at the time this started, the only drugs I was taking were the ones prescribed for my diabetic condition and cholesterol. I've been taking these for at least two years.
I am still convinced that my condition is organic in some way, and possibly/probably related to my past abuse of drugs and alcohol, although all of the testing the doctors are aware of at present comes back negative for an organic cause. EEGs, MRIs, CT scan, blood workups and even an ultrasound of the arteries going to my brain.
This is my stress, and it has put my life on virtual hold for seven months. I live for my work, my learning, and the fun I enjoy with making and Modding things, from bicycles to motorcycles to cars to computers and more. Being unable to do these things and being on virtual house arrest because of this malady has brought on additional depression and anxiety, and possibly even awoken some demons from the past.
I am hoping that all this is not going to sabotage the healing of my AF.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 14 Feb 2012, 00:10

Only if you let it Rasmith. But AFs have a mind of their own I think.
Did you listen to the lecture by dr. Rossman? I found it very empowering.
Doctors can drive you nuts. I look forward to a day where I can stay away from them except for the yearly physical.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Feb 2012, 05:01

Yes Tanya, I did watch the podcast, and it was quite enlightening. I agree with you completely re doctors. I sure do wish that our insurance scams, oops I meant schemes, would accept Eastern medicine practice as legit.
Last edited by rasmith3530 on 14 Feb 2012, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist