nifedipine and menstruation

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

nifedipine and menstruation

Postby workingonit » 26 Jan 2012, 09:19

Hey there,
So I am finally healing and I know it has a lot to do with the increased potency of the nifedipine from 0.3% to 0.9%.
But I think the nifedipine might be related to my menstrual periods getting heavier.
I will call my doc in a couple hours, but I wondered if anyone else has heard of this. How much I should be worried?
I am a worrywort by nature.
I hate medication!
I just finished a year of recovery from Ativan and I swore a situation would have to be dire before I took anything for anything again. I guess AFs feel dire.
Perhaps I can switch to nitro..
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: nifedipine and menstruation

Postby workingonit » 26 Jan 2012, 09:20

My last period was heavier than normal too, and that was before the increase in potency.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 26 Jan 2012, 09:46

woi...
I've been thinking the same thing... I have endometriosis so it is always hard for me tell what's causing what, but since I've been using the nifedipine I feel like my periods are worse than usual. ... Lasting longer, more pain and more bleeding...
I've had this happen in the past with medications that don't list menstrual side effects, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's happening again with me now...

Postby workingonit » 26 Jan 2012, 09:58

Hey Jr.
I only found one website that listed it.
If you google "nifedipine menstruation" it will come up as the second option.
Kinda disturbing all the other possible side effects.
I'll let you know what my doc says when I hear back from him.
Not sure if it is something that can be lived with in the meantime, or not. I'd hate to change medication when it is finally working. Image
I had planned to keep using the nifedipine for a while even after I heal, just to give the skin time to toughen up...
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 26 Jan 2012, 10:41

Hmmm - I'm just about at the end of my periods, basically - and I haven't tried the nifepidine - but if either of you finds out anything, let us know . . .
It's always good to know what meds might cause what symptoms. I tell ya one thing, I do not miss my periods.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 26 Jan 2012, 12:00

Sweet, I wish I could just go through the change and get it over with! You are so lucky!
I remember my mom when she was perimenopausal, and I am just glad I am not that bad, but I am always watching my symptoms, because I do take after her in a lot of ways.
The nurse at the docs front desk didn't think there was a connection. Part of me hopes there is, because I don't want to take after my mother, with all the heavy non-stop periods. They even gave her a DnC, which didn't help. They wanted to take her uterus but she said no. But I asked her years later if she would do it that way again, and she wasn't so sure it was worth all the trouble.
-sigh- what will be will be and this too shall pass.
Could use a break though :roll:
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 26 Jan 2012, 12:07

Jr,
I don't have cramping. Which is kinda weird. Usually when I have a heavier than normal period, there is worse cramping and clotting.
Hmmmm.
I do know that the magnesium I've been taking for the last year has helped with the cramping.
Oh well, on with the day.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 26 Jan 2012, 12:34

Well I just got off the phone with the nurse, and Nifedipine can make your periods heavier. Because it is widening the blood vessels.
But he didn't seem concerned. It is temporary and I will go back to 'normal' when i stop the nifedipine. So, so long as it isn't too much, like Menorrhagia. It is the lesser of evils.
Get rid of AF first, then worry about drug side effects.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 26 Jan 2012, 20:02

woi...
Yep... Sounds about right... Thanks for the followup info. I get so used to things being wrong in my body I probably never would have remembered to mention it to my doctor at my next appt.

Postby workingonit » 15 Apr 2012, 20:08

Well my first menstruation after I stopped the nifedipine, was still very heavy. But I didn't let it worry me. But then the second period was also started very heavy. I was getting pretty worried then.
But miraculously a couple days into my period everything went back to 'normal' flow.
Thank goodness!
And I am healing without the nifedipine, anyways. :)
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP