My Anal Fissure and My Regimen

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My Anal Fissure and My Regimen

Postby ToothDoctor » 30 Jan 2012, 15:09

10 weeks ago, I passed a hard, dry and wide stool, and I have had an anal fissure ever since.
My Symptoms
It feels like I am passing shards of glass every time I have a BM (even if it is thin and soft). Occasionally I have blood in the tissue. My anus then hurts for the next 5-6 hours afterwards. My anus hurts when any time my anus clenches: during orgasm, when I'm lifting heavy weights etc.
My Current Regimen
1. Lubricating my anus before BM with glycerin lubricant.
2. Not straining during BM. Gently wiping after BM.
3. 0.2% nitroglycerin (not available in Canada, but I'm a dentist and the pharmacist made it for me). Applied after BM and before sleep.
4. Sitz bath / heat pack three times a day.
Diet
I have only been eating fruits and vegetables. I eat primarily a garden salad at every meal with little to no meat. I still have chocolate, even though it can cause occasional constipation. I have about 1.5L of water every day.
Doctors
4 weeks after having an anal fissure, I saw a family doctor and he gave me an antibiotic ointment that did absolutely nothing. 6 weeks after I having the anal fissure, I saw ANOTHER family doctor who gave me Proctosedyl suppositories that is suppose to stop the anal spasm and help healing, but it seems all suppositories seem to make my AF worse due to the trauma of insertion.
I live in Canada, and we don't have Rectogesic 0.04% nitroglycerin. Luckily I am a dentist, so I had the pharmacist make me a 0.02% nitroglycerin ointment, that I am now using.
Things that I Have Tried with no Positive Results
Anusol Plus Suppositories
Preparation H Suppositories / Ointment
Glycerin Suppositories
Polysporin Ointment
Proctosedyl Suppositories
Can anyone give me any pointers, my AF doesn't seem to be healing at all. There were several times I notice the bleeding stopped, only to have my anus re-torn by a slightly hard stool.
ToothDoctor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: My Anal Fissure and My Regimen

Postby pgre » 30 Jan 2012, 19:08

Hi, How about trying Miralax. It will make your stools very soft and you won't have to strain at all, giving you time to heal.
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Sue1962 » 30 Jan 2012, 21:03

Hey Doc
I would definately try the Miralax and up your water to at least 2L or more. You may want to ditch the salad for now, raw veggies are aggrevating. Try some nice soft cooked vegetables, chicken and fish is ok also, at least 20-25g of fiber per day. Sitz baths 20 min. No straining with your BM, advil helps take the edge off too. Hope this helps. I had surgery 3 weeks ago, I just couldn't stand the pain anymore, had it for 3 years and your symptoms sound oh so familiar.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby ToothDoctor » 01 Feb 2012, 11:33

Thanks Sue, it seems in Canada we have Restoralax instead of MiraLax.
Anyways, update...
Day5 on 0.2% GTN, no more spasms, but increased bleeding probably due to vasodilation
ToothDoctor
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4