LIS number "2" done

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS number "2" done

Postby Tim » 02 Feb 2012, 19:45

Went back to the CRS today and still have an active fissure, 4+ months out from my previous LIS. Said he "may" have been too conservative with the cut the first time and wants to go back in for another look. I've been back to see him about 10 times since my op and while I had good spells since the first LIS (no shards of glass or spasms) the muscle has tightened and I've had pressure and some stinging here and there. Plus I can just feel an open wound. He's been conservative throughout which is good but I've had enough. 8 months with this sucker has turned my world upside down. Depressing to say the least but I'm hoping he can get in there and get me on the other side of this thing. Hoping I can be back on my motorcycle and dirtbike this year and return to weight-lifting and running. Just want to be a healthy 30 year-old guy again, you know!?
With that said, anyone here had 2 LIS's? I know there were a few boardies that had. Hoping to get there thoughts and opinion. I'm a guy and apparently my muscle is tighter than most so I'm hoping the incontinence thing is of no issue. He doesn't think so. Image
Last edited by Tim on 09 Feb 2012, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: LIS number "2" done

Postby wecc » 02 Feb 2012, 20:18

hi tim...that sucks...sorry. Beofe you go froward with another LIS...read my post and all the others....
http://anal-fissure.org/t4104-my-standardized-anal-dilatation-this-morning
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Tim » 02 Feb 2012, 20:36

Thanks wecc. I definitely considered that and asked my CRS about it today. No go around here and I don't think I could swing the trip to L.I. for the SAD. My LIS site was fine and I never had an issue with infection so I'm hopefuly for another pass at it. My ass is just tight I guess ...hence my cheapness ;-). My guess is it's genetic as 6 others (including my father, on his side of the family) have had fissures as well. I hate to have the recovery again but that's life right now. Praying for a good outcome.
Tim
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2012, 11:00

Tim...
I haven't had LIS but I am so sorry to hear that after making the decision to have surgery you are still suffering. It would be great if you could give the dilation a try so as not to put you through the cutting again, but if that isnt an option, are you sure you want the same surgeon to do the second one? Do you feel comfortable enough that he would be aggressive enough yet conservative enough at the same time? Just wondering if it would be worth seeking out another opinion from someone who has done a ton of these surgeries?
I wish you all the very best in your decision and hope that you can soon put this all in the past!

Postby Sue1962 » 03 Feb 2012, 14:32

Jeez Tim,
sorry you have to go through that. I had LIS and have had 0 problems and the recovery was a breeze. I have read a couple of people on here have had to go back b/c the Dr was too conservative. Mine did a 5mm cut, and thankfully I am back to a normal life. Yours definately sounds like a genetic thing with all the people in your family that have had them. Good luck with round 2
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby rasmith3530 » 09 Feb 2012, 01:04

Tim, sorry to hear you going through this twice. I had my first AF experience about a year ago, and it was rough but livable. The first go round was corrected with Nitro ointment. This time has been far more painful and bloody. I'm now about two and a half months in (based on my first prescriptions - gee, time flies when you're having fun... NOT!) and I'm scheduled for LIS on the 27th. My doc has a lot of happy campers to his credit, so I am hoping this will be rather event less.
Personally, I would be thinking of doing like Jr mentioned and get a second opinion or switch docs. I had a bad experience with one doc over thirty five years ago, and had I taken his advice, my life would have been far different (and not in a good way) than it has been.
Good luck with this.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Tim » 09 Feb 2012, 17:17

Well I had the LIS again today. I got two other opinions and each CRS stated if Nitro or diltiazem along with the other consevative therapy failed a repeat is almost necessary to facilitate healing. Each doc said I was still tight in there and the first cut may have been too conservative. I hope this is it. I've been home for 6 hours and feel pretty good. However, I think he used internal packing this time. Has anyone had this and if so did it give you the feeling like you had to "go"? Did you pass it on the first BM or pull it out that night?
Tim
Salt Bather

Postby rasmith3530 » 09 Feb 2012, 23:56

I hear it comes out with your first BM.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Tim » 10 Feb 2012, 08:21

Yah well it was making me feel like birth was near and I was 4cm's in lol. I finally got the courageto pull it out late last night. Boy did that suck. The worst thing though, was pulling the tape off my cheeks TORTURE! Being a guy and not shaving first was a mistake. That was worse than fissure pain. Anyhow no first BM yet but some gas and I can control it....good sign. I'll check back in later with updates.
Tim
Salt Bather

Postby Away PITA! » 10 Feb 2012, 09:00

Heal well Tim! Hopefully second time is a charm!
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8