GTN Nitro = My 14.5 Week journey is finally over, LIS tomorrow!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: GTN Nitro = My 14.5 Week journey is finally over, LIS tomorrow!

Postby Savaici » 12 Mar 2012, 09:39

Davo,
I do wish you the very best of luck with your surgery, and glad that you have decided to go ahead with it, even though you're healing. I get ups and down with mine and it's very frustrating wondering what to do. I have really procrastinated for 18 months, but am at least planning a trip to NY now and will have a capsule colononoscopy (terrified of the other type) and a consult with the AD doc.
Anyway, as above, all the very best with the surgery. May you sail through it and be all well for your impending wedding (if I am remembering rightly that you are getting married relatively soon).
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Davo » 12 Mar 2012, 09:59

Hi Sav,
Thanks for your kind comments
I think another reason i wanted to go ahead with the op is because my CRS said he likes to take a good look around and make sure nothing else is going on.
My wedding is not until the summer but that was one of the reasons why i did not want the Botox - I needed a quicker healing time so i could get back to my normal self and enjoy my day.
I understand the risks involved with LIS and that the healing process can be a bit rough but its a small price to pay should the surgery be successful. My CRS has however put my mind at ease, he quoted permanent incontinence at 1 in 200 (or 0.5%) and has stated that none of his patients have ever expereinced this.
I would be quite interested to hear what happens should you arrange an AD consultation. I know these procedures can put the fear of god into some people but they are never usually as bad as you initially think they will be!
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby workingonit » 12 Mar 2012, 10:33

Davo,
I wish you all the best on Wednesday too!
Sounds like you'll be in good hands.
Sav,
That's great about your plans. I'm so glad and totally want to hear all about it too!
I know all about procrastination!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Davo » 13 Mar 2012, 03:40

So that’s it for me – my 14.5 week GTN journey is finally over as LIS surgery is booked for tomorrow.

Strangely enough I have had a setback this morning – after a weekend of eating fun food and wine without problems I returned to my usual fissure diet yesterday and this morning I am enduring a level of soreness again. What is also strange is the fact that the BM was as soft as usual so I am well and truly baffled!!!
The setback has however put my mind at ease a little – to go for surgery whilst being pain free is probably not ideal and at least is demonstrates that I have not fully healed which warrants the op.
So for the record my final two pain scores are
Mon – 0
Tues – 3
My pain scores will continue in a new LIS thread under the surgery section following my operation tomorrow.
For those currently on GTN or for those who are about to start believe me this stuff really does work. If you can tolerate the headaches or if you are lucky enough not to have them then stick at it – the key to success with GTN is patience and lots of it. You will have a few setbacks along the way and at times you will be ready to throw in the towel but this should be expected. I swear by the stuff and only have positive things to say about it however I know for others it has been less successful.
Unfortunately for me though it has only healed about 95% of my fissure so it’s just not that bit strong enough to finish the job off. I know in an earlier post I mentioned that after 6-8 weeks the human body becomes accustomed to the GTN making it less effective than it was at the start and I think that may have been the final nail In the coffin for me.
I do firmly believe though that if I had the knowledge that I have now at the start of my GTN course then I probably could have healed this thing with GTN alone. For that reason make sure you are strict with the fibre, water, sitz baths and softeners as this will give you a fighting chance of healing your fissure without having to resort to surgery.
Wish me luck – now it’s time for the scary bit !!!
Davo
Davo

Postby Baba » 13 Mar 2012, 14:18

I hope all goes smoothly for you :)
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby jax » 13 Mar 2012, 15:05

I hope everything goes well and your recovery is a smooth one. I'm battling a fissure as well although mine only hurt a bit during the BM (last 6 months). I am using Diltiazem 2% cream that my doc gave me today to hopefully avoid LIS.
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Sue27uk » 13 Mar 2012, 16:31

I hope all goes well for you tomorrow Davo and that you can start to heal. Got to admit I'm a bit jealous as I sit here with niggly pain! I really hope this is the end of it for you and you get to enjoy your wedding and holidays etc. Will keep up to date with your progress :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Davo » 18 Mar 2012, 07:57

Hey Sue,
How are you now? Not seen you around this past week - are things improving yet?
Davo
Davo

Postby Sue27uk » 24 Mar 2012, 11:48

Hey Davo. I'm ok, well better than ok actually! Had an almost 'normal' day today where I travelled in the car for 20 miles, walked around somewhere and had no problems. This time last week was different though. Have had a relatively good week, with some minor spasms without the pain. Which makes it seem silly but I have been to my docs and finally got the referral letter about going to see somebody private to get a second opinion last Wednesday. The letter won't be ready until early this week though so we shall see, also see how I am tomorrow! I haven't had a bm today so that may explain my good day! Plus I'm still using the rectogesic, may try stopping it for a short time in the easter hols to see what happens. Glad things are going well with you, I see from your other thread that your recovery is going well. Really happy for you! I would rather have a boring recovery! I can't see them doing the op on me, it will just be more botox if anything. Will keep updates on your recovery :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Davo » 27 Mar 2012, 00:13

Hi Sue,
Thats great that things seemed to have improved - you deserve the break!
Can i just say that you dont need a doctors referral to go and see a CRS privately - You only need the doctors referral if you are going to see a CRS on the NHS. Have you chosen your CRS yet then?
If you are on the rectogesic again i am presuming the Botox has stopped working now then?
Thanks for your comments about my surgery recovery and yeah it has been boring and un-eventful. I am quite looking forward to my follow up in a few weeks now.
Hope you're still doing ok
Davo
Davo