New here and hoping for some guidance and support

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here and hoping for some guidance and support

Postby pakrica » 05 Feb 2012, 13:52

Hello Everyone, I found this forum and googling fistulectomy recovery online and I am so glad that I am not the only one out there suffering. Here is my story.
At 14 years old, I had an anal abscess which I had to have surgically drained. The wound never quite healed and turned into a fistula. For years I had no idea what it was so I just lived with it. At 23, I finally had a doctor look at it and went in for surgery. My surgeon put in a plug and after 4 weeks, we found out it wasnt successful. Two months later, I had the same procedure performed, but the plug literally fell out two days later (is this normal???). We waited a bit and Dec 29th 2011, I had a fistulectomy with an exicision. I am now recovering from this surgery. It has been so painful to deal with. The first two days after the surgery, my bm's were fine as I was taking stool softeners and all that to help. However, after that, I started experiencing extreme bleeding from the exicision site to the point where my husband took me to the ER to get it looked at. I was told that it was just normal and just a massive amount of necrotic tissue draining from the inside. I also developed a rather large and incredibly painful external hemmoroid and what I feel are several fissures.
Its now five weeks later. I'm still experiencing so much pain everytime I go to the bathroom. I still have drainage and pain at the incision site and what I feel is gas coming out of it as well at times. I wake up, go to the bathroom with agonizing pain and recover in bed for about two hours before finally being able to start my day. Has anyone else ever had an experience like mine. I really do not know what to do. My life has literally been put on hold ( I even had to drop my classes for the semester). All I do is lie in bed, then limp around the house with no end in sight. Any suggestions or advice on what to do, how to heal or how to feel better would be so greatly appreciated. Is all this suffering normal?
pakrica

Topics: 1

Re: New here and hoping for some guidance and support

Postby workingonit » 05 Feb 2012, 19:33

Hey Pakrica,
I haven't had a fistula, but I've read some of the posts on here from people who have. I do remember someone mentioning the gas coming from it as being normal.
From what I've read it takes months to fully heal, sorry to say.
To get a faster response from those who have more experience with this, you might look at some of those older posts and send some of the people personal messages. Just use the search engine in the upper right corner of this page.
Look under the forum section for "considering surgery or already had it" and at the very top is a great topic about fistulas and the surgery in general.
I know there was a recent post about 'how long' under the forum section "general anal fissure discussion" started by feistypris, "is a fistula possible to recur?"
Anyways, I sure hope you feel better soon. These things (fistulas and fissures) are just terrible.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: New here and hoping for some guidance and support

Postby sterlingbird » 05 Feb 2012, 21:14

I am sorry for the pain you are in. I also had a fistula 2 fissures and other assorted problems that go with the area. I had surgery Dec 1 and am still recovering. I also had the LIS. I did not understand if you had that.I am really careful about my diet and take pysillum every day and have 2 times re injured myself during BM's. When I talk about recovery times it does not mean you should hut horribly for 6 months. While I still hurt it is not as bad as it was. Stay on the board and try what is suggested. It does get better. There are people when you read their stories you will go WOW I am glad I did not have that. I will offer up a prayer and hope the best for you.
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8