Please help

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Please help

Postby lambertoz » 14 Feb 2012, 17:35

Image This will be my second AF. After 2 months of creams i had a chemical sphincterotomy. This made my symptoms worse. My consultant told me that because a had a forceps baby that a sphincterotomy would put me at risk of incontinence. Has anyone on here had this procedure after having forceps baby??
I really can't take much more of the pain. When it starts i can't concentrate, walk, sit or lie down as its really bad.. I do get the odd few hours of pain free but as soon as i have a BM off it goes again. Can anyone offer some advice?
Please can you help a new member.
lambertoz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Please help

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 23:24

Hi -
First of all, I'm so sorry you've been in such agony. I know exactly how that feels, because I've had that experience twice.
I've never heard of a "chemical" sphincterotomy . . . that's a new one. Also, I don't know what a forceps delivery would have to do with a regular sphincterotomy - but I'm not a doctor, so again, that's a new one. --- Have you considered seeing a different crs and getting another opinion? I had to see three different crs's, before finally finding one who understands AFs.
Please take care - and hang in there! Get a different opinion, so that you'll make sure you're on the right track.
HUGS and prayers to you. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby lambertoz » 15 Feb 2012, 02:43

Hi
Thank you for your reply. The chemical sphincerotomy was a Botox injection to the area of the AF, which aggrivated it. This was done 5 weeks ago, been off work since. Cant stay off much longer. I went back to my Const, and he just apologised and said I must just fall into that % that it doesn't work for. I'm trying to get re ref to someone else.
I have been taking magnesium sulphate baths up to twice a day. Also only started yesterday taking the tablets which inc zinc. Do u know how long it takes to get into your system?
lambertoz
Fibre Addict

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 15 Feb 2012, 03:39

Hi, again -
Oh, okay - Botox . . . it seems that it works for some people, but not everyone.
I don't have any experience with the mag-sul baths, but I have taken zinc, now and then. However, I really have no idea how long it would take for zinc to have any kind of effect in a person's system . . .
If you can get referred to someone else - preferably a good crs (colorectal surgeon), that would be best, IMO. --- Different docs have different opinions about AFs -- it's important to find one who understands the nature of the beast.
Take care, and hang in there! I said a prayer for you - and I really hope you (and everyone else here) feels better, very soon. Let us know how you do . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby busybird » 15 Feb 2012, 16:34

Hi
How I can relate to you. I had botox 3 weeks ago and was taken back into hospital for pain control. (3-4 hours of screaming with pain whilst breaking my husbands hand!!) Hospital gave me oramorph (oramorph rocks lol) and I came home with some.
So after every BM and about 45 mins later the pain would kick in and go from 0-10+++ in a matter of minutes. Oramorph was the only thing that would touch the pain.
OK you feel a little spaced to begin with but it stops your butt muscles from getting even stronger cos of the pain. This relaxes you and will promote healing. I can now confirm I am now on my 4th day without oramorph and feel great.
I felt that I would never be out of pain and be able to live a normal life again (sounds drastic I know!)
Try to get some more pain relief, hopefully you have a sypathetic doctor?
busybird
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby busybird » 15 Feb 2012, 16:36

I forgot to ask.
Is it the same pain pre-botox?
busybird
Fibre Addict

Postby Grateful Ed » 15 Feb 2012, 20:16

If you're really hurting after a Botox injection, it could be from a thrombosed hemorrhoid at the injection site. That was what happened to me & I can attest that the pain can be off the charts. Get a second opinion if your regular doc isn't sympathetic. Watch out for Vicodin as it can constipate you. Try to hang in there- you're not alone in this!
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby lambertoz » 16 Feb 2012, 03:30

Hi Busybird
How long from injection to feeling better. It was 5 weeks yesterday since my injection. The pain is much worse since injection. Yesterday was one of my worst days. Nothing I did or took helped. I have been given oromotph but scared to take it after first time knocked me out for 17 hours. Would prob have if kids were not on school hols. Lol x
Hi Grateful Ed
Thank you that's something to ask. I felt clueless about the af as no one really explained what it was. It's a tear is the explanation I got. Yes it may be but nobody told me about the spasms! I have learnt a lot on here. Yesterday was a really bad day. Dr put me on voltorol & diazepam. Taking Fibrogel & lactulose to combat constipation from the drugs. Fingers x today is a good day as I can't take another one.
Ps is this how you reply to people like yourselves or am I doing it wrong?
lambertoz
Fibre Addict

Postby busybird » 16 Feb 2012, 06:55

Hi Lambertoz
You poor thing, that pain is so awful. I agree, with you, my pain was far worse post-op. I just used to lay in the bath for hours screaming when it kicked in (40 mins after BM and then continued for 3-4 hours). My CRS said it was due to having very tight butt muscles! And the muscles only get stronger the more pain your in. So you need pain reflief. I was re-admitted into hospital for pain control as my husband couldnt cope with having his hand crushed and fingers broken lol.
I felt better 3 days short of 3 weeks. Up till that point the pain was off the scale before taking the oramorph (even the day before the pain settled it was bad). Its a bit worse 2day as went to see CRS for check up and he has pulled me around abit - so I'm really cross, I nearly punched him! lol
As far as the oramorph is concerned, u need to give it another go - trust me. When I first had it, it knocked me sideways (which I have to admit was a real blessing).
If you take too much it will knock you out. Which you dont want. I started with 5ml, then if it didnt help another 2ml.
How much were you taking to knock you out for all that time? Or did you have a big glug out the bottle :D
You need to take just enough to get rid of that awful pain but still be able to function - take it slowly. Maybe in 2ml stages with a nice hot cup of tea (it seems to work quicker then) if thats no good after 20 mins half an hour take another 2ml.
Oramorph blocks the pain recepters, so you need just enough to block that pain, not to knock you out!!
Please give it a go, let me know how you get on darling.
Message me if you want to have a chat?
Lisa x
Last edited by busybird on 16 Feb 2012, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
busybird
Fibre Addict

Postby busybird » 16 Feb 2012, 06:59

Oh and by the way, I had a forceps baby, ok it was a long time ago, but my CRS said nothing about that to me??
busybird
Fibre Addict