Had surgery for fissure and tag. My story

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had surgery for fissure and tag. My story

Postby Sneely » 16 Feb 2012, 22:20

started 18 months ago when I had back surgery (microdisectomy) the surgery went well but as a result of the narcotic pain reliever I developed a fissure then 2 large skin tags. I had no idea what the heck a fissure was and I thought I just had hemmorhoids. Well over a year I suffered on and off with pain, bleeding, constipation, diarrhea and these awful skin tags which I thought were hemmorhoids. I finally went to ER one night in November of this past year because I could not stop bleeding and the pain was awful. They basically did nothing for me and referred me to a CRS. My appt was a week later. I was very embarrassed to go to Dr. I even thought of cancelling more than once. I am a 40 year old female, healthy and in good shape and did not want some Dr looking down there. I had alot of anxiety over it. My Dr was nice and the exam was awful and he could tell I was miserable. He told me about my fissure and that I had 2 large skin tags. He gave me Dilitzam gel and told me to bulk up my stools and let's see what happens in 6 weeks. Well 6 weeks later I'm back. The gel worked ok but was gross and messy. My skin tags were embarrassing. I've been married for 10 years and I worried about these things because you could see and feel them. They made me very self conscious. I wanted them gone. Went back to CRS and he and I both decided on colonscopy first because of my bleeding and we needed to rule out anything abnormal. Had that and it was fine. Doc scheduled my skin tag removal and LIS if I needed it(meaning if my fissure wasn't healed he would fix it then). Its now February and I had my surgery on the 14 th and Boy I was not prepared for what was to come. He called my skin tag removal a hemmorhoidectomy I think because a skin tag is more cosmetic and insurance wouldn't cover that but would cover hemmorhoidectomy. More to follow on my recovery. It ain't pretty.......
Sneely
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Had surgery for fissure and tag. My story

Postby grannymaria » 21 Feb 2012, 06:41

Aww sweetie- hang in there. God bless u n heal us all
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Re: Had surgery for fissure and tag. My story

Postby MelissaB » 21 Feb 2012, 13:35

So sorry. Hope you are feeling better now.
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Topics: 5