Feels Hopeless

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Feels Hopeless

Postby Quiggles » 27 Feb 2012, 17:07

I am not 4 weeks post surgery where I had LIS and a skin tag removed. I have had more bad days than good and feels like I still got the fissure. I still have a lot of burning when I use the bathroom and seems to last forever some days worse than others. I have been using the ice pack and trying not to sit for long periods of time but nothing seems to help. The worst part of it is I think stressing over it is making everything worse. Anybody else feeling the same or any insight? I see my surgeon tomorrow so have avoided using any ointment or anything down there.
Thanks everyone you are all so wonderful and very supportive would be lost without this sight. Just feel like I am going nuts.
Quiggles
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Feels Hopeless

Postby 44alegna44 » 27 Feb 2012, 20:09

hi lory, i feel so bad that you're still going through this pain, i was really hoping you would be feeling some more relief by now from that burn. i'm on day 17 today post-op, and was all set to see my crs this a.m., then called my doc to confirm and was informed my appt. is actually wednesday. i have had much improvement since we last chatted, but yesterday and today somewhat of a set-back...the burn again with my bm that seems to increase once again as the morning goes on...can stay with me for several hours. i have no idea why this on-set could have happened since i've changed none of my daily routines and i know how frustrating you must be feeling, i am too! i'm hoping that your crs can offer up a reason and solution to this symptom for you and i can't wait to see my crs for the same reason....what's the burn coming from!!!! is it the tag removal site or lis incision, and as far as the fissure, i was under the impression that the fissure is still supposed to be there, am i wrong? i thought the lis was just to relax the muscle so the fissure had a better chance of healing...which could be another 2 months, do you know this not to be the case? please post after your doctor appt, i'm anxious to know what your doc says before i see mine on wednesday, this way we could compare notes...as our surgeries were so similar in procedure and timing maybe between our two docs we could offer each other addt'l insight. i'm praying that you get good news tomorrow and some well deserved relief asap!!!!! will talk to you soon, best wishes and pls try to stay positive, angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Quiggles » 27 Feb 2012, 20:27

thanks for replying feels good to talk to someone who is going thru the same thing. I will definitely post tomorrow and let you know how I make out and I am not sure about the LIS but that would make sense as it still feels like I have the fissure and been having that paper cut feeling again. I did try something new the other day and I had a bath with some oatmeal powder I bought for skin relief and it did help. What sucks is that when that area burns everything does :( I really have to stop stressing over it so much tho I am driving myself crazy. It feels like I have been doing this for so long.
Quiggles
Salt Bather

Postby rasmith3530 » 27 Feb 2012, 22:27

I am so sorry to hear that you have both been having such a hard go of it.
As for LIS, you are right, the fissure is still there. What is done is that an additional incision is made, in an area that receives much greater blood flow than the anterior/posterior 12 and 6 O'Clock positions of our fissures. This allows the sphincter to relax (supposedly) so that the fissure site can heal.
Just having had my surgery today, I can offer no sage advice on this stage of the game. In fact, I'm now searching for good tips on what to expect and what to do for the next 24 - 48 hours. Right now, I have a fishnet "underpant" on, and it has underneath it, either a big, long wad of gauze or an absorbent pad of some sort. I have felt a bit of what I believe to be gas, but am unsure.
I was given something called Lortab (supposedly akin to Vicodin) for the pain, but as it hasn't been too drastic so far, I'm trying to hold off.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Quiggles » 28 Feb 2012, 15:29

Just wanted to update about my doctor visit today. He said it looks like it is healing on the outside and that it could just be that the sphincter is very relaxed which is causing the burning. He said ice is a no no as it contracts the muscles and he said to continue with warm baths as hot as I can stand and no epsom salt. He said using the ice will make it worse. He said I can continue to use the nifedepine and also said if I don't feel better to come back and see him at the outpatient clinic and will take a closer look. He also said he already cut 30 percent of my sphincter and does not recommend removing anymore. I asked tho is the fissure gone and he said no but the way I feel I think its still there....I have the burning and the paper cut feeling. Not sure what else to say but today is one of my best days since my surgery and today it has been four weeks.
Hi Angel hope this helps not sure that it will as I still feel the same as I did yesterday. Let me know how your appt goes and hope you are feeling better today.
Lory
Quiggles
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 28 Feb 2012, 16:29

hi lory, thanks for the post and i'm so glad to hear that from this visit your doc seems to see some improvement with the fissure itself...that is definitely encouraging news!!!! i believe that if the burn is in fact coming from a very relaxed sphincter, that should subside as this muscle will, in time, tighten up again to a certain extent, it's just so relatively soon after surgery that it makes absolute sense that it is as relaxed as it needs to be to heal this fissure...unfortunately sometimes we gotta take to good with the bad, but please don't feel hopeless, i truly believe the burn is only a temporary symptom and will ease up, soon enough! it was a good piece of info to hear about the ice as well, i know you had said you were still icing the area at times so to know that doing this can have a negative effect with your recovery, it was certainly something you needed to know. i will let you know tomorrow how my visit goes and what my doc has to offer. and again, it sounds like an encouraging visit...i hope you took it that way and stay up-beat and positive, we've come this far, we're strong and can make it to the finish!!!!!! angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby tiredofpain » 28 Feb 2012, 16:32

Hope you feel better Lory. Can the burn be also due to the internal hemorrhoids that got removed ?
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Quiggles » 28 Feb 2012, 16:45

thanks Angel and I am more positive today for sure just gotta take it one day at a time and yes please let me know about your visit. How are you feeling today?
Hi Tiredofpain I never even thought about the hemerrhoids that could just be it. Thanks
Quiggles
Salt Bather

Postby rasmith3530 » 28 Feb 2012, 22:36

Hope you guys are doing great. My first day post surgery has been largely uneventful. I'm hoping that it will largely stay that way.
Take care and good luck!
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Quiggles » 29 Feb 2012, 20:46

thanks and you as well :)
Quiggles
Salt Bather