Had botox on monday (27th)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had botox on monday (27th)

Postby bobbles » 29 Feb 2012, 09:59

Had my botox injections on Monday afternoon. I’m not sure what exactly they did, other than the botox. But when I woke up, I had a big dressing stuck across my backside. I also had a pack dressing which was very uncomfortable. I had no pain at all when I woke up. But by the time I got home 2 hours after the procedure was done, a burning sensation started to build. By midnight it was unbearable. The nurse told me the pack dressing would come out when I went to the toilet. She couldn’t tell me why I had a pack dressing, or why there was so much blood and that I would be told in the clinic when I get my out patients appointment. Needless to say the dressing wouldn’t come out, so I had to pull it out, which made the pain worse. I had pain relief but didn’t sleep.
On Tuesday it was very painful, all day. I couldn’t do a BM, nothing seemed to want to come out until the afternoon, when I passed lots and lots of wind. The pain didn’t disappear, but I slept through exhaustion.
Today, the burning sensation has disappeared and I had my first BM this morning. It wasn’t painful at the time but was agony for about 2 hours after. I had another BM after lunch which didn’t hurt, and so far the pain is manageable.
Walking, bending and sitting are painful, so I either stand or lay!! The actual injection sites are very tender and there’s lots bruising (I’m good with a mirror!!!)
I’m eating lots of fibre, prunes, and drinking lots of water. Still taking movicol and senna at night. And taking regular pain relief. Will keep updating as I progress!
Last edited by bobbles on 29 Feb 2012, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
bobbles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Had botox on monday (27th)

Postby Davo » 29 Feb 2012, 10:11

Hi Bobbles,
There are a few things they may have done which would cause you increased pain
1. fissurectomy - this is where they completely cut the fissure out. This can be done in conjunction with Botox and would explain the level of blood and pain you are having.
2. If your fissure was chronic the edges may have become thickened which would prevent healing - If necessary the surgeon will scrape away the edges which will help aid healing by allowing the skin fibres to connect once again.
3. Normally the surgeon will check to make sure nothing else is causing the non-healing of the fissure and will open up the anus causing a re-tear of your fissure.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby bobbles » 29 Feb 2012, 10:15

Hi Davo
I did ask the surgeon when he came to see me before I went down if he was going to do number 2 and he said he never does that because the fissure heals from the inside out. But he must have done something because I cant believe injections would have caused that much blood or require a pack dressing!
I suppose I will have to wait until my appointment, in 6 weeks time!!
bobbles
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 29 Feb 2012, 10:27

That sounds a bit strange as i have read in many places that excess skin can prevent healing. Still i would imagine the blood would be from some 'Tidying up' that was perfomed during the procedure.
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby bobbles » 29 Feb 2012, 10:32

I found that strange as well, because the doctor I saw in the clinic in January said that they sometimes do that if the wound has healed either side.

Still I will post back and let you all know how its going.
bobbles
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 29 Feb 2012, 13:22

Bobbles,
I can't believe they didn't tell you what was done. That's crazy!
Can't you call and ask? Or is it on any paperwork they left with you?
Glad the pain is more manageable for you now. You must have been pretty scared!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby bobbles » 29 Feb 2012, 15:04

Hi Tanya

I know, I kept asking what the dressing was for. 1 nurse went off to find out if I would have to go to my local GP nurse to have it changed. Never saw her again. The next nurse couldn't tell me anything, just said that they don't tell you after the op, because people are still drowsy and would probably forget, thats why they do it in the clinic. My paperwork, that goes to my doctor just said rectal exam and botox.
To be honest I felt like I was bundled out of there. I remember looking at the clock in recovery at 5.10 and was home by 6.30. I felt very sick and was give anti sickness drugs into the needle in the back of my hand at 5.45. Only had my blood pressure done once. I felt very disorientated when I got home.
bobbles
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 29 Feb 2012, 15:08

Poor you!
What an ordeal.
Perhaps you can call your doctor's office?
I guess if you are feeling better..., but you must feel kinda invaded.
Kinda makes me think everyone should bring their lawyer with when they get procedures done! :)
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby bobbles » 29 Feb 2012, 15:12

On the NHS, its really difficult to talk to anyone and they would probably say to wait for your appointment! It took me about 50 phone calls to the get the operation date after my initial consult with the doctor in the first place! The NHS is a wonderful thing, but its like looking into a black hole getting information!!

bobbles
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue27uk » 03 Mar 2012, 02:44

Bobbles, that's really bad! I would ring up and demand to know what they've done, you do have a right to know. I had botox done back on November 21st, I also had a dressing but no packing. I thought everything was great for the first few days then I had my first bm, oh my gosh. I rang the hospital and they sent me to my GP who said I had re-tore. I bled for 3 weeks which I had never done before the botox. When I came round from the general anaesthetic I kept asking what they had found, in the end a nurse got my file (she was lovely!) and shown me the report. I found out I have 2 fissures and the position and everything, good job I asked as my six week follow up still hasn't happened and been put back to 8th May (!). - why I'm considering going private. I agree the care I have had from the NHS is good, but the wait time is awful. Overall it was a very painful experience for me, I only started to feel better after christmas (as also had a reaction to the botox) and am back on rectogesic! Im glad you're feeling better though and it works for you. :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21