AF and then some

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

AF and then some

Postby tryingtocure » 01 Mar 2012, 08:34

Hi, I figured out that I've been suffering from AF for about 5 years now, always going to the Gyno and saying, "I think I have really bad hemorrhoids", and every time they would look down there, they would say, "oh, they don't look so bad". I only knew that I had extreme pain, I had no idea about AF and apparently the next 5 docs didn't either. I was finally diagnosed just this January, she put me on nitro ointment and I have a colonoscopy scheduled for this Monday. Things are not better, pain like everyone in this forum describes "like pooping glass" AND does anyone have irritation, pain, screaming skin on the outside around the anus? My skin is so raw from what I think started from the "wiping" even know I try to do it minimally, and softly, on the outside is 50% of my pain.
Not to even mention the actual process of pooping, 20 minutes long, doesn't want to come out. I think I'm finished and have to go again within 5 minutes. This is enough to drive a person crazy, yet we live with this process and the pain every day. TryingtoCure....
tryingtocure

Topics: 1

Re: AF and then some

Postby workingonit » 01 Mar 2012, 10:13

Hey tryingtocure,
Are your BMs soft like toothpaste?
Have you tried sitting on the toilet differently. I like to get my feet up with a stool so I kinda squat on the toilet. My daughter leans far forward.
Are you wiping with regular toilet paper?
You could get an irrigation bottle (peri bottle) and use it. I like to wet the toilet paper so it is like wiping with a wet cloth.
The irritation could be a reaction to the cream, or it could just be like diaper rash and a little zinc oxide would help.
(I always have to resort to that when I have stomach flu).
That's terrible about all the misdiagnosis. But you know, unfortunately it is not uncommon. In fact it happens more than not. It happened to myself too.
You wonder what they teach in med school Image
Welcome to the forum, and please search around. There's tons of info here from people who have healed and moved on
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Baba » 01 Mar 2012, 22:36

Welcome :) In the past I've had burning red skin around the anus. What helped me was using my over the toilet sitz bath with epsom salt in the water several times a day and always after a Bm.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby tryingtocure » 02 Mar 2012, 13:11

Thank you for the feedback. My BM's are not hard themselves, pretty much like toothpaste, its just a hard and long process of actually getting it out.
And as far as my "screaming skin" around my anus goes, I'm definately going to try the toilet sitz bath w/epson salt. And I have a cream, Calmospetine, that i've used before in the past that I will use again to see if that helps. I stoped the external creams when I went onto the nitro.
tryingtocure

Topics: 1

Postby Savaici » 04 Mar 2012, 11:17

Hi TTC,
Join the club of the trying-to-get it out brigade. I don't, however have 50% of the pain outside. Most of mine is internal. And spasming at the wrong time of the anus is what causes most of this. I have had this for just over two years and don't know how you have handled it for five.
Good luck with the colonoscopy and let us know the results. I had an anoscopy where they couldn't see anything wrong and now hoping to have a capsule endoscopy so that they can have a look at some of the rest. Then hope for anal dilation in NY and the hope of getting some semblance of a life and eating normal food back.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby MattMecham » 04 Mar 2012, 22:01

Hi tryingtocure. I have total empathy for you; I went through three years of sheer agony before I finally screamed, "ENOUGH!!", and had LIS. Bypassed all the creams, nitro, whatever . . . just had LIS. And I have been completely pain free since the day after my surgery, which was March 30, 2011. I became a member of this forum on March 29, and I remember being scared of the upcoming surgery, and being incontinent and what not. I was searching on the web for comfort, and thank goodness I found these forums. These folks really put my mind at ease, let me know I didn't have a thing to worry about. And they were right! LIS, and these forums, helped give me my life back. I wish you the best in whatever course you choose to take to get rid of the fissure.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Postby MattMecham » 04 Mar 2012, 22:02

And when I say completely pain free, that's exactly what I mean. The first bowel movement after my surgery? No pain. And none since. Oh, some advice on the irritation around the anus -- I would jump in the shower after using the toilet and just rinse off with nice warm water. No toilet paper, no wiping. Just rinsed with warm water in the shower, and then turned it to a little cooler for a minute or so.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Postby pat123 » 05 Mar 2012, 11:24

tryingtocure... hi welcome and i'm sorry you're going through all this...
about the irritated skin... some folks here, including myself are using coconut oil as a healing agent. Good for fissures and may be good for the skin that's so irritated. I use extra virgin coconut oil i got on Amazon.
Just a thought Image
hang in there!
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7