STOOL WIDTH?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: STOOL WIDTH?

Postby workingonit » 23 Apr 2012, 18:35

Hey jr,
Kinda makes me wonder what Inuit poop is like?
Thank for the info.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby jr2 » 23 Apr 2012, 18:45

Actually, cultures that don't eat much, if any fiber, also report little problems with constipation. It seems that the key has more to do with our highly processed foods in the west than it does on the amount of fiber one eats. There are folks out there doing all sorts of interesting diet experiments with their own bodies, and it seems that these stool issues have less to do with fiber, no fiber, and more to do with whole foods, no processing, healthy flora and mucosa, and healthy metabolism, all of which are damaged by the way we eat.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby jr2 » 23 Apr 2012, 18:48

and specifically regarding the Inuit...
"Field physicians in the arctic noted that the Inuit were a remarkably healthy people. While they suffered from a tragic susceptibility to European communicable diseases, they did not develop the chronic diseases we now view as part of being human: tooth decay, overweight, heart attacks, appendicitis, constipation, diabetes and cancer..."
jr2

Postby workingonit » 23 Apr 2012, 21:09

I figured that the reason traditional inuit didn't get constipated despite the lack of fibre, is because of all the fat they eat. Not 'fattening fat', but actual blubber.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby jr2 » 23 Apr 2012, 21:30

it's probably a good part of the explanation for the Inuit.
But there definitely seems there are other good options to think about as a fissure sufferer if all the added fiber isnt working or even is causing more problems such as stools being too bulky and big.
and the inuit diet as well as others around the planet also goes to show that heart disease isn't as simple as being tied to high fat in the diet.
jr2

Postby workingonit » 24 Apr 2012, 09:27

I bet heart disease has more to do with 'bad' fats in particular.
I was reading some stuff yesterday about animal based gelatin as a BM regulator. I remembered from this dumb sit-com I used to watch as a teen, a comment about how eating head-cheese sandwiches as a character grew up, kept her regular. So I looked up what head cheese is and it is mostly gelatin made from animal bones.
(sad comment on what my brain retains memory wise while other things get forgotten :) )
Well food for thought anyways. I know I give my daughter chicken soup made with home-made stock almost every day for lunch. The only time she has a problem with constipation is when she doesn't drink enough water or when we travel and she isn't getting her chicken soup....
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby jr2 » 24 Apr 2012, 09:59

Yeah, I've been reading around about some alternative ideas about diet, and in particular, about fiber. Fats and oils are a whole world themselves, and Westerners were sold a bill of goods back in the 60s and 70s that turned out to be completely false, making evil villains out of what are now known to be among the healthiest fats. The fats and oils industry even made villains out of people who tried to be the voice of opposition, people like Mary Enig. It makes me wonder even more about how great all this fiber, fiber and more fiber we are constantly being told to eat really is for our bowels, and in particular for our anorectal health.
jr2

Postby workingonit » 24 Apr 2012, 13:05

I don't know. I think back before things became so overly processed, people did eat a lot more fiber than we do today. For one, their teeth would wear out sooner because of all the extra grinding needed to break it down. I remember my dad mentioning that about native american burials (he's an archaeologist).
But I agree that fiber is only part of the equation. I mean, when does it ever turn out to be one culprit at the bottom of everything?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby jr2 » 24 Apr 2012, 14:51

that's just the point... It's why native cultures can eat a very high fiber diet and have long, thin, soft stool. Because their intestinal mucosa, flora, and metabolism haven't been so messed up by the way most Westerners eat with processed foods. In this context, increasing amounts of fiber could actually be more detrimental than helpful. Though constipation isn't a problem for me personally there are countless people with severe constipation problems who follow the high fiber advice only to find out it makes constipation worse for them, sometimes far worse. Obviously, no one diet works well for everyone. That's why Ive just been getting twitchy about the blanket recommendation to fissure sufferers by doctors to add more and more fiber. It might actually be doing more harm than good for some people.
jr2

Postby Tim » 25 Apr 2012, 10:54

Take it from a guy that had two LIS surgeries and probably didn't need the second. Stool width is a HUGE factor in healing fissures. Doctors push the high fiber because they assume fissure sufferers sit down to a block of cheese and chips every night. Just not the case...my diet was always high in fiber...too high in fact and I got dehydrated traveling for work and it nipped me square in the butt. I keep a diet moderately high in fiber now, with 1/3 tsp of Konsyl + 1/4 dose of miralax in the morning, the other 3/4 dose of miralax around 5 and then another 1/3 tsp of Konsyl at night after dinner. Been doing this for two weeks and guess what, fissure is almost healed. Doc asked what I did and I told him, "I stopped taking all that junk you told me to get on"....here I am almost 1 year lost of my life (or feels like it) and I was doing it to myself since my first surgery. Unreal!!!
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9