Hello - another newbie - any thoughts on Arnica?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello - another newbie - any thoughts on Arnica?

Postby lindwe » 12 Mar 2012, 16:25

Hi Peeps, very new to this forum. So... I've suffered, knowingly, with AF for just under a year. Not quite sure how long before I had a diagnosis. I thought it was piles and used a cream for a few years (know side effects 'thining of skin' any connection?) until the pain became really bad and I went to see my GP. I was referred to CRS after about 6 months when the GP noticed the AF.
Very nice CRS who suggested nitro cream. It seemed to work and after an eight week treatment I felt good.
It lasted for about six weeks when I had another bad session and went back the CRS who thought that it was probably time to go down the surgery route. So I turned to Google and didn't find this forum. I did find lots of information that would scare anyone. Just after the date came through the pain stopped! In consultation with the CRS I decided to try to control it by continuous use of the cream, being very careful with my diet and using a low dose of stool softeners (1 per day).
This worked up until three weeks ago when, out of the blue, it all started up again. After two weeks of serious pain I contacted the CRS and asked for a new date for the op (LIS).
The hospital phoned this morning and it is on Friday. So I phoned my other half (Thailand at the moment) to tell him and to ask him to cancel my birthday weekend in Brighton. I had so been looking forward to it as it's been a pig of a year and it's only March.
So here I am worried about the whole op thing, fed up as the birthday's cancelled and on my own until Wednesday.
Thank goodness I found you to get it all off my chest!
Anyway anyone got any thoughts on arnica tablets post op? I took them after my son was born (10lb 4.5oz) and they helped with the bruising. I suppose I could have tried them before but it has only just occured to me.
lindwe
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Hello - another newbie - any thoughts on Arnica?

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 20:16

Hey there,
I don't see why not for the arnica. If you've taken them before and they didn't bother you, they should help with healing. My dentist took them after his shoulder was operated on and the doctor was surprised by how quickly he healed.
Me, they make me feel strange.
I would ask your doc though to be sure.
Glad you are getting things resolved. Sorry it has to be the surgery route. Not at all uncommon though as you will see on this forum.
Best of luck on Friday!!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby lindwe » 14 Mar 2012, 17:15

Thank you for your support Tanya. Begining to get a little gittery as I've got the pre-op assessment tomorrow.
Any ideas on what to sit on after the op!?
Linda
lindwe
Salt Bather

Postby workingonit » 14 Mar 2012, 17:33

Linda,
I've not had the operation.
I've read that others kinda recline on their side (the one not cut) for a couple days.
I would post this question under the considering surgery section. You'll get a bunch of replies from those who know better.
I can imagine you are gittery. But think about how good you will feel in a couple months!!
:)
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby 44alegna44 » 15 Mar 2012, 05:50

Hi Linda, i've had the surgery 5 weeks ago and the gitters are unavoidable and I believe normal....but this op and post-op is the beginning of the end of the misery caused by our fissures! Truly, if I knew 7 months ago what I know now after surgery I would have never prolonged the op soooo long! It's a challenging decision no doubt but I'm thrilled for you because I know you'll very soon be off the roller-coaster of ups and downs....it's smooth sailing from surgery on :)!!! As far as sitting afterwards, tanya's right, for me it was sitting kinda on my side for a few days, really do big deal though...you'll find what's comfy 4u...I wish u all the best...angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby lindwe » 15 Mar 2012, 06:01

Thanks both. Am now on my way out to shop for extra bran, prune juice and epsom salts. The postie has just delivered the portable bidet!
lindwe
Salt Bather