LIS, then abscess, now fistula :-(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS, then abscess, now fistula :-(

Postby recoveringfiss » 14 Mar 2012, 20:18

Hi all:
Really freaking out now. I had LIS 4 months ago, and fissure healed fine. A couple of weeks ago, I went to see my CRS because I still had a dull pain at the incision site, along with foul-smelling clear discharge. He told me that I had an abscess, and that I would probably need a follow-up surgery. He then said, "give it a couple of months to see if it will heal on its own. There is about a 1/3 chance that it could heal, although I wouldn't bet on it."
Perturbed, I went to see another CRS for a 2nd opinion. Thew new CRS examined me and stated that I had a "superficial fistula". He also stated that, in his opinion, it had a good chance of healing without surgery. He also told me to wait two months to see if it will heal.
I have done some research on fistulas, and it seems very unlikely that it will heal on its own without surgery.
My question is this: which CRS would you go to for the follow-up surgery? My original CRS is the one who did the LIS. However, I also ended up with a fistula. Further, I do not feel that he is very good at communicating things with me. The new CRS is actually much better at explaining/communicating. He showed me a detailed sheet of instructions that he gives to post-op LIS patients, something that I wish I was given by my original CRS. However, I am worried that he won't be as good with the fistulotomy as the original CRS, because he did not do the LIS (the healing of which caused the fistula).
Sorry for the lengthy message, but this is really nerve-wracking. Not sure what to do here, and could really use some help. :-(
Thank you.
RF
recoveringfiss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: LIS, then abscess, now fistula :-(

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Mar 2012, 22:32

I'd be hesitant to go back to the first guy - it seems that he didn't communicate with you that well - and if the second guy seems to know his stuff, and is communicating with you well, then he might be the right guy.
Maybe you could see him again and ask him more questions, just to make sure you feel comfortable with him.
BTW, how can the healing of an LIS cause a fistula?
Take care, and keep us posted.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 15 Mar 2012, 09:48

Hey rf,
So sorry to hear this,
I think I agree with Sweet, would lean towards the second guy. I've had too many uncommunicative doctors in the past mess me up.
ANyways, it is ultimately your decision. It does happen sometimes with LIS. One of the 'complications' that are rare and they don't like to talk about. It is good to know that it is superficial and you caught it early on!
IMO, You need to think positively and follow what the docs say.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby recoveringfiss » 15 Mar 2012, 22:14

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to give it my best shot to heal and follow the docs' advice. I will keep you updated as I continue on my journey to recovery.
recoveringfiss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 16 Mar 2012, 06:21

Although my situation is slightly different, I have actually been to three different CRS's! I figured a third opinion could only help, and I'm soooooooooo glad I got a third opinion (despite the fact that I'm sure my wife thought I was crazy) because it really helped me sort everything out.
I know there are a lot of people who wish they had received a second, third, fourth (or fifth!) opinion.
This is YOUR body. YOU have to live with the results. YOU are your biggest and best advocate. If it was me, I'd get a third opinion.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby workingonit » 16 Mar 2012, 09:56

Hey thisfissurecankissmybutt,
What did you like about the third one as opposed to the first two?
I am going to get my third opinion from the NATCM chinese clinic. Figure I've given western medicine two chances ; )
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby anybodyguy » 21 Mar 2012, 10:29

Hey,
So it turns out I have the exact same problem. I though I had incontinence after LIS, but it turns out it's just discharge from the fistula. I guess that's better?
So the doctor said that the wound healed wrong, with skin forming over the top before before the deeper part had recovered. So you end up with something like a tunnel that can get infected.
Anyway, I definitely sympathize with the situation. One thing that I have heard is that this type of fistula is a lot more shallow than a normal fistula, and thus much easier to treat. Anyone have any experiences to back that up?
anybodyguy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby workingonit » 21 Mar 2012, 10:37

I don't know myself, but it makes sense.
You can do effective searches by going to 'portal' next to 'home' at the top of this page.
Then use the search in the bottom left side. I like to click the google and the posts options.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby anybodyguy » 21 Mar 2012, 23:27

Update:
I just got a third opinion from a very experienced CRS, and it was pretty positive. He said that anyone who has developed an abscess/fistula after surgery should definitely try medicine first.
The thing is, this is not a real fistula. A normal fistula is a tunnel that goes UNDER the muscle. It is harder to treat, will not ever heal, and requires more difficult surgery.
In the case of improper healing after LIS, you have skin that forms over the wound with an infection underneath. But the key is, it is still ABOVE the muscle. There is apparently a good chance this can heal with just antibiotics, and even if it doesn't, the surgery is far less risky than normal fistula surgery. Good news for anyone who has this condition.
anybodyguy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby workingonit » 22 Mar 2012, 10:20

That's good to hear!
I wouldn't say the other kind of fistula wouldn't ever heal, but they are harder to deal with.
Good luck with the antibiotics. Remember to eat your yogurt or take probiotics 2 hours before or after your antibiotics to compensate! IMO
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP