Healed by Miralax

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Healed by Miralax

Postby healed » 11 Apr 2012, 18:46

Hi. I was a member of this site several years ago, but quit because I am healed, pretty much. I think I did sort of an exit post (don't remember what my user name was then) so others would know what helped me. Recently, I got a message that my registry had been deleted and that's okay with me - am guessing it's because I hadn't been an active member in a long time. But, in an effort to possibly help even one more person, I want to say again that Miralax is the only thing that helped me. And, I heard about it at this site. My doctor said I could use it 3 or 4 months, and the way she said it in an offhand manner, I got the impression she wasn't concerned about how long I used it.
Anyway, I took it every day for several months and it healed my fissure. I still have a little soreness from time to time, but nothing like it was originally. I think the fissure will always be a weaker area of skin than the surrounding area, but as long as the stool is soft enough, there's no problem. And, that's the main thing I want to communicate here, I think the huge majority of fissures will heal IF YOUR STOOL IS CONSISTENTLY SOFT. After saying that, I also need to add that diet did not work for me because real life got in the way and I couldn't CONSISTENTLY eat the right foods, and I think it is impractical to think that people can eat the perfect diet day after day for several months. Also, I don't think just any laxative will work. Miralax is different - it works gradually (I sound like an advertisement), so give it a few days to start working. I just think it's a miracle drug - guess that's where they got the name.
This is the last time I will post here because I have nothing more to add. I'll be thinking of you and hoping you'll give my solution a try - be sure to use it every day without fail for several months. Maybe I'll check back in 6 months and see how many people have had as good luck as I did. Let me know!
Best wishes,
Healed (thank God!)
healed

Topics: 1

Re: Healed by Miralax

Postby workingonit » 11 Apr 2012, 20:39

Thank Healed,
I think you are probably right. At least I totally agree that having a consistently soft BM for months is the key to healing.
Thanks for coming back on to write this!!
So rare to hear from someone who has been healed a long time.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby pgre » 12 Apr 2012, 11:24

Thanks HEaled.
I'm currently taking Miralax, but I've made the mistake of quitting to early so many times. How long did you take the Miralax for? Were you taking any other supplements?
Thanks
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby healed » 12 Apr 2012, 17:04

If I remember correctly, it was 2 to 4 months - I know it was no longer than 4 months. But, I was experiencing a lot of relief before it was completely healed. It's a very safe drug as far as I know, but I would clear it with your doctor first. My mother is 91 with heart, kidney, and lung problems, plus probable ovarian cancer and the doctor okayed it for her to use every day. I never tried any supplements; I did try a stool softener which for me were worthless. I'm convinced it's just a mechanical problem for most people. For instance, what is going to abrade or scuff-up that area or any area of your body the least? Something soft or something hard? I'm curious why you quit Miralax several times. Was it bothering you?
healed

Postby pgre » 13 Apr 2012, 08:11

I haven't experienced any side effects with Miralax, it does seem pretty safe to me. I stopped too soon as I thought I was healed, causing a re-tear. It's nice to know that it healed you.
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby healed » 13 Apr 2012, 18:02

As I said, I still have a some mild soreness from time to time. You had asked about supplements. I do take magnesium now for 2 reasons: (1) it softens stool and keeps me from becoming constipated and (2) it's a muscle relaxant which helps with my TMJ problem. I wish you continued success with the Miralax. When those fissures are hurting, it's difficult to think of anything else.
healed

Postby Gettingmedown » 13 Apr 2012, 19:30

it is so nice to hear someone has healed without surgery! every time I have a bad day I always think maybe I should just go for surgery. I find that I can't take a whole pack of Miralax as I end up needing to go too frequently and that hurts more.
Gettingmedown
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby healed » 14 Apr 2012, 21:36

I've only used the bottle of Miralax where you fill up the cap for measuring - not familiar with the pack. Maybe you could use half the amount in the pack. I think surgery should be a last resort for most ailments. It can cause so many permanent complications. Surgeons recommend surgery. It's what they know. When you get discouraged, please remember this - our bodies never quit trying to heal.
healed

Postby cherylk » 15 Apr 2012, 09:25

You can adjust the amount of Miralax you take--I measure mine out with measuring spoons. I also healed without surgery.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 15 Apr 2012, 10:39

I'm in the process of healing and I would contribute it mostly to Miralax.
I'm taking almost 3 doses a day for good consistency, and I plan to keep doing that for a long time....
My question is: when do you stop taking it? How do you stop taking it?
After several months of a high dose, will your body begin to rely on it??
I'm so happy to not be in pain anymore, but I'm totally scared of the day when I have my first "normal" poo!
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17