Sitting or Lying down: What is better for recovery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Sitting or Lying down: What is better for recovery?

Postby MistahJ » 15 Apr 2012, 19:46

Just shy of 3 weeks post LIS and very little progress by way of recovery or pain relief. I can still feel the actual cut of the fissure and the pain is still there. I'm almost at the end of my rope here.
As the title suggests, I wanted to ask what is the best position to be in to facilitate healing? Right now it seems that I can sit for short periods but am then in quite a bit of pain when I stand up. Lying down can also be painful. The only position where I am in the least amount of discomfort is standing up.
I always simply assumed that sitting would put the most pressure on the area, cause the most discomfort and slow the healing process so I have been spending most of the last three weeks in bed but now there seems to be little difference. Lying on my left side seems to ease things a bit but I certainly can't be doing that 24/7 until this cursed thing heals (if it ever does).
MistahJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Sitting or Lying down: What is better for recovery?

Postby jr2 » 16 Apr 2012, 15:01

Dear MistahJ,
I'm so sorry to hear you are still having so much pain after your surgery. Not having had surgery myself I'm not really qualified to answer your question, but I would think that whatever position you can find that is the most comfortable for you and creates the least irritation and discomfort would be best. That being said, it's also important to make sure you are changing positions frequently enough and moving around too in order to assist circulation and healing. Are you due to see your doctor soon for followup to make sure healing is progressing properly without complications?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 17 Apr 2012, 22:36

I was on my side, propped by pillows, for quite awhile. I still hurt, sometimes, sitting squarely on my bottom.
Mistah, healing just takes awhile for some of us. Don't get discouraged - you're so early into your recovery. Whatever takes the pressure off is probably best -- and for me, it was lying on my side.
I finally got to a point, though, after what seemed like several weeks of lying around, that my whole body ached from all the lying down I was doing. --- You just have to lie down, then walk a little when/if you can, then lie down more, then move around a little if you can, etc., etc.
Whatever you do, give yourself plenty of time to heal, if possible.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby MistahJ » 21 Apr 2012, 17:45

Sweet Bugaboo wrote:I was on my side, propped by pillows, for quite awhile. I still hurt, sometimes, sitting squarely on my bottom.
Mistah, healing just takes awhile for some of us. Don't get discouraged - you're so early into your recovery. Whatever takes the pressure off is probably best -- and for me, it was lying on my side.
I finally got to a point, though, after what seemed like several weeks of lying around, that my whole body ached from all the lying down I was doing. --- You just have to lie down, then walk a little when/if you can, then lie down more, then move around a little if you can, etc., etc.
Whatever you do, give yourself plenty of time to heal, if possible.

Thank you once again for the advice, SB. I can tell that you are a very caring person from your replies. Best of luck to you also with your recovery.
MistahJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 21 Apr 2012, 20:41

Thank you, so much, Mistah. I sure hope you're doing okay and feeling better.
My recovery is going okay . . . the only thing is, I seem to have developed some sort of hip/tailbone/bottom arthritic flare-up or nerve attack. --- I suspect this is from all the post-op lying down, propping my leg up while sitting, or sitting on one leg to prevent my bottom from hurting . . . etc., etc.
I tell ya - it's like a domino effect . . . I jogged and got an AF recurrence; I had surgery, then had pain from that and also from the lying down AND awkward sitting (I had to sit a certain way); and now I seem to have some sort of nerve mess down there.
All in all, the actual AF thing is done -- but the recovery has been a bit of a challenge.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11